MSE News: BT announces steep price rises for home phone and broadband – how to beat t

167891012»

Comments

• Mr_Hippo
    Mr_Hippo Posts: 6 Forumite
    VisionMan wrote: »
    Br wary, they are the worst complained about utility company.
    I looked at SSE also and TBH it all seemed too good to be true. The amount they charge isn't much more than they have to pay BTO for the line. There aren't many reviews about SSE, but a lot of the ones I read on say they employ aggressive traffic shaping and the result is very poor speeds. Customer service also seems to be poor to non-existent. Personally my broadband is too important to take a chance on, so I stayed with BT. Better the devil you know, as they say!
  • kingrulzuk
    kingrulzuk Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    Now a day’s people can’t stay without internet and they are ready to pay anything for it and BT knows this, Ofcom and the government supports BT so rip-off Britain will continue unless people stand up to it.
    What happens if you push this button?
  • So I decided to take a personal stand against BT's well above inflation price rise (21% in my case). I feel it's very reasonable to be able to get out of contract in this situation.

However, they told me that if I were to leave, I would be liable for a £113 "deferred payment charge" for the equipment, even if I returned the equipment to them. I did point out to them that no one would pay £113 for their handicapped Homehub 5 and a Youview box. Needless to say, my opinion on the quality of their kit didn't go down that well with the advisor!

They were quick to remind me that the deferred payment charge was in the fine print and that I should have read the terms and conditions. To me, this seems unfair and potentially unenforceable.

Does anyone know if this charge is deemed reasonable by the regulator/legally?

Has anyone had any luck getting out of their contract avoiding a deferred payment charge?

What steps would you recommend I take to avoid this?

Any other advice anyone has would be appreciated. My advice would be to avoid BT in the future, as this is really sneaky behaviour!

Thank you everyone.
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 June 2016 at 8:23PM
    mthurston wrote: »
    So I decided to take a personal stand against BT's well above inflation price rise (21% in my case). I feel it's very reasonable to be able to get out of contract in this situation.

However, they told me that if I were to leave, I would be liable for a £113 "deferred payment charge" for the equipment, even if I returned the equipment to them.
    Thank you everyone.

They're referring to the T&Cs of a BT YouView contract and on the surface your screwed, as far as CS is concerned. But your not, as you have in your possession an email stating cancellation "WITHOUT PENALTY".

What you need to do is to by pass first line customer services completely by escalating this as a complaint and taking it from there. And your right, btw, but you will have to return the equipment.
  • VisionMan, have you heard of much success with reclaiming the Line Saver Rental after cancelling due to a price rise?

I put a complaint in a fortnight ago but haven't heard anything back yet - I've just chased it today.

TLM
  • So much for BT saying BT customers who signed up to broadband promotional deals won't see broadband prices go up! I signed up for a 12 month promotion in March 2016 but they have increased my package from July 2016 with 8 months still to go, so you can sign up to a deal this month and they can increase it next month, could be described as a very misleading deal.
  • Oadbylad
    Oadbylad Posts: 8 Forumite
    jaydeeuk1 wrote: »
    Didn't go for the sky deal yesterday even though I got the code (should be moving house in next 3 or 4 weeks) and have 6 months or so of my BT phone, broadband and TV contract left.

First world problems, eh?

Good luck with the move

Ive just changed from BT to Talktalk I know i know
    But this was and is a blatant cause of mis selling by BT
    Just so you're aware jaydee(dozy beaky mitch and tich God im old) be prepared to get a cancellation charge
    As i say i will be transfered tomorrow July 20th which is roughly a month early to cancel,i've been told i will need to pay £10 58 cancellation fee :( bummer? no talktalk have said they will pay it
    Every little helps when you a pensioner
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport