Feel at home with Three is TERRIBLE

Options

Comments

• bobstheboy
    bobstheboy Posts: 631 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have used it in many countries including Australia and never had a problem.

Love it and hopefully more to come.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Maybe this (pg 12) article will help show how the speeds are throttled.
    Three are about to offer a 'premium' service for data abroad, which does suggest that the current setup is average at best.
  • mancityni
    Options
    I've been with Three for so very long but only recently making use of Feel at Home is completely pointless. Data speeds so low can't even open banking app or website. Time to look for a better option
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    boatman wrote: »
    Three are about to offer a 'premium' service for data abroad, which does suggest that the current setup is average at best.
    It's best to wait and see what all the networks offer after 15th June, when EU roaming charges are scrapped. Vodafone have already started the ball rolling (not that I would recommend any network that doesn't include a spending cap).

Three have been OK for data in the rural areas of Spain, but next to useless in Torrevieja. Calls and SMS have been fine, just a lack of local data capacity at times.

Don't forget to use a VPN to avoid data snooping on those free WiFi hotspots found in many bars...
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used Feel at Hone in Florida and found one network was very slow and the other was good. I think I had to manually switch to T-Mobile as AT&T was slow, but it could have been the other way round.

Feel at Home works as good as it does in the UK when I am in Gran Canaria though.
  • flappysalmon
    Options
    Now I can do a speed test in Menorca and prove that they throttle connection badly!

Speed test shows speeds over 20mb!!! Website load fine and so does fb. Play store seems to download apps ok to

But.......

Netfix just doesnt work what so ever. YouTube is very slow and buffers alot even on lowest video quality! I tried to download a app from a website that was only 25mb and my downloader said the speed was 7.7kb/s wich is dam awful!

They state they will lower speeds on streaming and some other services but that is just rediculs
  • gazza007
    gazza007 Posts: 248 Forumite
    Options
    Been a Three Customer for a number of years now and as a regular traveller have made good use of "Feel at Home" My experiences have been mixed, I have found the Data Service good in USA but totally useless in EU when I have been by the pool in Spain and just want to listen to some streamed music etc.
    Three deny they throttle data but they do especially on any IP that requires streaming data.
    Given that the new EU Net Neutrality rules start on the 15th June I tweeted Three to ask if
    1. Will data restrictions be removed
    2. Will 4G be available
    3. Can I use a personal hotspot

Response was
    1. We don't throttle data
    2. No
    3. No
    I am not expert on the agreement but are they on breach of it because that isn't Net Neutrality
  • Paulg0
    Paulg0 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Pleased to advise that presumably due to the change in EU roaming regulations that as of this morning in Spain Threes throttling of mist things seems to have stopped, YouTube, Iplayer and VPN are all running at full speed now
  • gazza007
    gazza007 Posts: 248 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have 4G & tethering?
  • drbob
    drbob Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's good to hear. I was in France last month and wound up buying a local "free.fr" sim to use in my spare phone because the "feel at home" service was so useless.

What's interesting is I also spent some time in Belgium and Germany. Roaming on the free.fr SIM was full speed with no issues, on the exact same networks roaming with three remained unusable.

If free, a much smaller outfit than multi national Hutchinson (who own 3), can pull off decent roaming included in a €20 monthly package I think it's safe to say the pitiful performance of three feel at home roaming was solely due to corporate greed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure