Feel at home with Three is TERRIBLE

Options

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The fact that Three has started to throttle Three at Home to death for anything but sped tests has been reported for quite some time now.

https://jmcomms.com/2015/11/02/sort-it-out-three-using-data-abroad-feels-nothing-like-at-home/

https://jmcomms.com/2016/03/17/another-day-another-roaming-test-has-three-fixed-feel-at-home-yet/
    ====
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'll repeat what I said last time this happened in a thread. My wife was in Manhattan Christmas shopping and could easily face time me on the street using 3 and 4G.

It's free and inclusive. I have not had a problem and last year in France used Waze with no issues. I also face timed, sent and received iMessages.

OP I'm sorry that you had an issue but get a grip.
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • inkiboo
    inkiboo Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Next time, you can do so. Is your iPhone locked? You could have purchased a local SIM. US$10 per week for 1GB of data.
    http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-as-you-go
    http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phone/t-mobile-prepaid-3-in-1-sim-starter-kit US$5 for a SIM.

You can be prepared for the next time.

If I wanted to do that option, and lose access to my phone number, I would have stayed with EE and not switched to Three.
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • inkiboo
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    The fact that Three has started to throttle Three at Home to death for anything but sped tests has been reported for quite some time now.

https://jmcomms.com/2015/11/02/sort-it-out-three-using-data-abroad-feels-nothing-like-at-home/

https://jmcomms.com/2016/03/17/another-day-another-roaming-test-has-three-fixed-feel-at-home-yet/

Serves me right for not Googling before buying.

The fact they make it fast for speed tests highlights they are actively trying to deceive their customers. Can not wait for the contract to run out.
  • daydotz
    daydotz Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It was pretty useless for me in lake Garda & Vienna i did try VPN to no avail
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    inkiboo wrote: »
    If I wanted to do that option, and lose access to my phone number, I would have stayed with EE and not switched to Three.

Seriously, you are coming over as a bit of a drama queen.
    It is not often that someone actually needs to use their UK mobile number when on holiday. All the usual applications work as normal, regardless of the SIM inserted.
    You wrote about having GBs of Roaming data with EE, but fail to mention any details of cost and whether one could use it in the USA.

I paid £4 for my 3 SIM and that 1GB covered me for the US Virgin isles, Puerto Rico and the mainland for a period of two weeks. Excellent value. I certainly didn't expect super speedy Internet. I just wanted to keep in touch with friends and family with the minimum of fuss.

It's your own fault. You could have taken a 30 day contract and seen how it went on your first trip.
    You can purchase an inexpensive MiFi and use it in conjunction with an EE SIM or local SIM. MiFi costs perhaps £25.

I suspect that you don't actually want any kind of solution and that you just wanted to vent...
  • inkiboo
    Options
    I'm a drama queen for complaining about a service that simply doesn't work as advertised? I've heard it all now.

As for a solution, I'd like to not be on Three. I also love how you say it is my fault; I saw a service advertised, signed up for 12 months assuming the service would actually work but when it doesn't it's my fault?

I can only assume you work for Three.
  • inkiboo
    Options
    I also love how I am being painted as mad for wanting my phone number to work abroad so people can call me! Baffling.
  • hornetgirl
    hornetgirl Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have no idea what "throttling their service" means but I too chose Three specifically for the Feel at Home service. Unlike the OP, I went with a monthly rolling contract and can't say I've had any problems with it at all. I've used it numerous times in the US, as well as France, Spain, Switzerland and Ireland. It worked perfectly well every time.
  • inkiboo
    Options
    Forgive me for having friends and family who still want to speak to me when I am away and an elerdly father with heart problems. But no, I'm "eccentric" because people want to call me.

You are nuts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure