Pocket money

Options
Daughter would be starting secondary school in September and she takes packed lunch. What amount of pocket money will be sensible for her at that age?

I claim ESA and receive Tax Credits for two children.

Thanks

Comments

• mark5
    mark5 Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What can you afford?

I think this one comes down to your personal circumstances.

At 11, I would say £10 per week, rising as she gets older.
  • Quackers1
    Quackers1 Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    As well as thinking about what you can afford, also think about what you would expect her to pay for from her pocket money. Does she have a mobile? Who pays for her clothes? What about treats, activities etc? Is it to encourage her to save and budget?
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    What will she be doing to earn her pocket money? You'll obviously be teaching her that work = rewards so maybe 'cost' each chore. Vacuuming earns £2. Washing the car earns a fiver. Up to whatever limit you can afford.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What does her lunch have to do with it?

At 11 my daughter got £30 every 4 weeks, but I still bought clothes, she's 14 now and gets £50 but buys her own clothes mostly, (except school uniform of course), I buy her toiletries etc with the weekly shop, she buys make up and expensive toiletries ie Lush. We pay for her phone on top of that. At 11 she had a £5 Giffgaff sim, now she has a Tesco contract, £12 I think.

I don't agree with children being bribed for doing chores around the house, she keeps her own room clean and tidy that's all. She helps out at her ballet school and a swimming school, that's enough for a child doing her GCSE's.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,059 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mine don't get any.. never have.. if they need money for something they work for it.

Could you not comprise her a list of chores so she can earn any money rather than just handing it over?? it isn't bribing it is being paid for their work! .. I don't do that either though.. but it works for some :p
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What will she be doing to earn her pocket money? You'll obviously be teaching her that work = rewards so maybe 'cost' each chore.

We taught our kids that the work necessary to keep the home functioning just had to be done - we didn't get paid for doing our share and neither did they.
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    My DS is 15 so he gets £15 a week. In addition to this I pay his monthly phone contract, pay his weekly football subs, give him school dinner money, and buy the clothes and shoes that he needs.

It is not linked to helping out around the house and garden. He lives here and makes the most mess out of the two of us, so he gets to help clean up!

Anything that is a want he has to pay for himself, including outings with friends.
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My kids get £1 per "house point" awarded at school. They also get money for doing chores around the house, e.g. £2 for hoovering, £1 for mopping, £1 for helping with laundry etc. They don't get pocket money for doing nothing.
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    onlyroz wrote: »
    My kids get £1 per "house point" awarded at school. They also get money for doing chores around the house, e.g. £2 for hoovering, £1 for mopping, £1 for helping with laundry etc. They don't get pocket money for doing nothing.

If only the rest of the feckless benefit fiddling country followed your example, the minority with genuine reasons excepted.
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    I don't agree with children being bribed for doing chores around the house, she keeps her own room clean and tidy that's all. She helps out at her ballet school and a swimming school, that's enough for a child doing her GCSE's.

I don't consider it a bribe. I call it good parenting :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure