Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Options

Comments

• Waves_and_Smiles
    Options
    Aww, thank you for not thinking it's silly, tea. The owner takes her frogs (she had 4, now 3) into primary schools to teach children. The children then follow the frog on Twitter and 'talk to it' to learn more. Now she has to figure out the best way to tell them that Jack died, she feels terrible about it.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Options
    As harsh as it sounds, the shorter life span of pets can be a useful learning experience for children.
  • codemonkey
    codemonkey Posts: 6,534 Forumite
    Options
    It's lovely that you're supporting your friend WaS. A lot of people take the stance that 'it's only a pet', so you being supportive will mean a lot. I get upset when all my friend's pets die and when I meet fellow dog walkers and find out something happened to their dog.

The work thing is such a small thing it feels stupid. I get pain from air moving over my face and air conditioning is like kryptonite for me so I told HR that I can't sit under one. If they'd come back to me and said that all the desks are under air vents that blast freezing air and can't be turned off, I'd have rejected the job. My manager has tried to find the least air-conditioned desk but they're all bad. We're moving office next year so I'm not sure if I should just work remotely as much as possible until then and hope there are no air vents in the new place or just go back to my old job because they were so supportive of my disability. Sigh.
    Eu não sou uma tartaruga. Eu sou um codigopombo.
  • Waves_and_Smiles
    Options
    Hmm, tricky one, code. Can you work mostly from home until the office move? You mustn't make yourself ill, your health is the priority.

Yes, it is part of the learning experience for the children to learn of Jack's death as much as it was meeting him and writing to him. She has over 40 children who keep in touch with her frogs and several now have frogs of their own as a result. She is just at loss how to tell them and because she uses her platform for education she feels she should explain that Jill may now die too. Not easy for her when she is so upset herself. We ended up as friends because none of her friends could understand why she spent £1000 on treating a £10 frog, I would have done exactly the same.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anything which is causing you unnecessary pain isn't a small or stupid thing and, knowing the wars it causes in my office, air-conditioning is something which causes problems even when it's just about temperature rather than an actual problem.

If it's possible for you to work remotely then I'd see if you can do that until the office move happens. As they're aware that it causes pain they'll hopefully find you a suitable desk there, if they can't is there any way to cover the vent slightly to direct the air away from you?
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    That sounds intriguing and I had to go googling, but it seems quite a popular thing. I'd never heard of it before.

It was fun. I did mine in Swindon. But I am sure they have them in Bristol.

I saw it on the big bang theory earlier this year. A friend booked it and would not tell me what we where doing. So it was a massive surprise.
    Pyxis wrote: »
    I like the sound if that.

It's a bit like Crystal Maze.

Are you on your own in the room, Calley? What were the clues like?

No you can be in group up to about 6 people. It was me and a friend. In the one I did they had a camera in the room and a pc monitor so if you are getting stuck they can give you clues. we had to get clues to find combinations for padlocks. To then get more clues to find the key for the padlock on the door to get out.

You just have to be a really nosy person. And look everywhere to find either keys or clues.

I would like to go back and do it again to see if we could finish it.

Think it was about £20 a person.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Lovely to see you, Calley!

I really hope they sort something out, code.

Awwww, badger!

I am sad today. This is going to sound really silly-on Twitter some people with pets pretend to be them and make posts as their pets talking about their day, just for fun. About a year ago I got talking to giant bullfrog who's mate developed kidney failure. I wrote a few times to ask after him and eventually the owner dropped the pretense and began talking to me properly. She has spent as absolute fortune keeping this frog alive and comfortable but he died over night. If that isn't sad enough they mate for life and their partners often die too because they stop eating when alone. So now the poor woman is worried about his mate. Sleep well little Jack, I never met you but I loved you and be strong Jill, to go on without him.

That's sad, especially as they mate for life. I didn't know that some frogs do that.
    I really like frogs. I've got them in the garden, even thought there's no pond.

Code, what concession did you ask for! Turning it off? Does it operate the heating as well?

Otherwise, you need one of these, to deflect the air away from your face......., £6 something on eBay. You can get smaller ones, too.

$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Failing that, why not a wide-brimmed hat?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Options
    I really hope you get something sorted code. It's not silly or trivial at all. Hopefully someone with a bit of common sense will get involved and find a way to rearrange desks or turn off one of the fans or something.

I've had quite a productive few days but have totally hit a wall now. The thought of two groups to go to this evening isn't helping the energy levels either.... although I know I'll enjoy both things when I get to them.

I did just hear that the people I saw in Ireland last week said nice things to my boss about me.... so that's good :D
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yesterday I got my first new fiver, in a shop as change, so that's going to a charity.

Today, I got my second one, with a slightly lower serial number, and not creased, so I'm going to keep that one!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• mellymoo74
    mellymoo74 Posts: 6,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    20161006_231717_zps88if621s.jpg
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts