Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Options

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oooh! I'll have to google them! I love moles!

As regards the allegory, well, Lord of the Rings is full of religious allegory too!

As are the Narnia books. Blatantly!

Edit...ooooh! They're to do with standing stones! Must get them!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Options
    These are, if anything, more blatant than Narnia. Although more nuanced in a way, as there are two main 'sides'. Although it's made clear that one side is in effect right, and one wrong, it also portrays many of the followers of the 'wrong' side as misguided and misled. It also has many moles on the 'right' side who behave terribly. So very clear religious messages throughout, but not in a black and white manner, if that makes any sense at all.

I very much want to go home and carry on reading about the moles now :D
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    It's early days yet. She may need a week, two weeks, a month or even longer to make the next gesture.

In the meantime, why not go back to sending birthday cards, Christmas cards, etc. in acknowledgement of her status as a friend?

Maybe you're right, or maybe I'm reading too much into it all... think its just the fact that I know she'll have had to hunt through Facebook to find that picture & then to like it is just odd. Maybe its just me hoping too much, given that she was the one woman I would have given everything for.

But as they say everything happens for a reason... if she gets in touch then I guess I'll go from there, if not then its not meant to be.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The mole books sound really interesting. Seeing as I normally read on the train to and from work I haven't read anything which takes actual thought for ages but I might have to give them a go.

After a conversation with IzHe a couple of days ago, I really want to reread David Eddings and Philip Pullman as well.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Very strange. You can get paperbacks for £0.01 plus p&p, from the UK, and then hardbacks are all from the States and cost a fortune! £70+, £80+, even one well over £100!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• tea_lover
    Options
    (((oakdene))) hang in there. Probably not what you want to hear but maybe there was alcohol involved, making her a bit nostalgic. She has your friendly message to break the ice so maybe in time she'll get back in touch. It's tough when you feel you've done the hard work in getting used to no contact and then something seems to change it all again.

Iz - I really should read Philip Pullman, definitely looks like the sort of thing I'd enjoy but I haven't got round to them yet.
  • Izadora
    Options
    tea_lover wrote: »
    Iz - I really should read Philip Pullman, definitely looks like the sort of thing I'd enjoy but I haven't got round to them yet.

I'm sure you're already aware but there is a fairly major aspect of the books that you might not like - religion penguin It's aimed more at the Catholic church and their abuse of power but it can be pretty scathing of organised religion as a whole. It's a long time since I read it but I remember it as being more against certain people using faith as an excuse for doing unspeakably hideous things rather than faith itself, if that makes any sense.

It is definitely worth reading though and the stage show they did is still one of the finest things I've ever seen.
  • tea_lover
    Options
    Thanks Iz, that sounds similar in a way to the Duncton take on faith (as opposed to organised religion). Interestingly I was having a conversation last night about the difference between the two. Then the conversation became slightly less highbrow when I said that trying to grow my fringe out is the worst thing that's ever happened to me :rotfl:.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tea_lover wrote: »
    (((oakdene))) hang in there. Probably not what you want to hear but maybe there was alcohol involved, making her a bit nostalgic. She has your friendly message to break the ice so maybe in time she'll get back in touch. It's tough when you feel you've done the hard work in getting used to no contact and then something seems to change it all again.

I hope there wasn't alcohol involved, purely only because it was 2pm on a Sunday :)

As I said Im not hanging all my hopes & dreams on this, just I guess its re-awoken some feelings that I had kept a lid on for now.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Izadora
    Options
    IzHe's working from my mum and dad's today, even though working from ours is easier, so that the cats can be outside. This was one of the photos he then sent me of the cats enjoying being indoors...

_20160914_094332_zpsfeyzl8xg.jpg

I'm betting he now wishes she'd stayed there. The above cat just came in and proudly deposited a live rat at his feet :D

Apparently she wouldn't let him have it though, growled at him when he tried to pick it up and ran outside with it. The rat is now recovering in the garden and the cats are shut in the house!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback