Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Options

Comments

• Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Like others have said, you can only talk to them and tell them how you're feeling and how it is affecting you, and ask them to stop dragging up the past.

If they persist in doing so, then they are not real 'friends' at all.
    If you have to keep asking them not to bring things up, then your only option may have to be to cut ties.

It really isn't the sign of good friendship to keep on talking about things in a friend's past that they have been asked not to mention. That is selfish and inconsiderate of them.

I don't have any other friends though. I drop them and I'm isolated.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    I don't have any other friends though. I drop them and I'm isolated.

Are bad friends better than no friends?

Would you be interested in joining a community choir? You really don't have to have a good voice, I promise you.
    It is a great way of making new friends, doing a common activity and having a lot of fun.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Got a call earlier saying shes/hes desperate, I said no but he said he promised her and they will take her possessions if she doesn't pay.

Now put it this way, I heard the wages in her country are like 1/20 of what we get, even if it was 1/4 it doesn't cost £20 for a weeks supply of tablets, and she has a lot of "emergencies" when shes rushed to hospital, if her health really wasn't that bad why doesn't she work? he says she can't work due to her health.
  • Pyxis
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Got a call earlier saying shes/hes desperate, I said no but he said he promised her and they will take her possessions if she doesn't pay.

Now put it this way, I heard the wages in her country are like 1/20 of what we get, even if it was 1/4 it doesn't cost £20 for a weeks supply of tablets, and she has a lot of "emergencies" when shes rushed to hospital, if her health really wasn't that bad why doesn't she work? he says she can't work due to her health.

Look Deka, several people have suggested things to you about this relative, most of which are variations on the 'cut him off', 'don't speak to him', 'don't answer the phone' scenarios.

Why do you persist in speaking to him?
    Of course it is extremely annoying for you to have to deal with him, so why do you persist in doing so?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• Stoke
    Options
    Are bad friends better than no friends?

Would you be interested in joining a community choir? You really don't have to have a good voice, I promise you.
    It is a great way of making new friends, doing a common activity and having a lot of fun.

I'll be honest, that doesn't sound like me, however my dad has suggested I join a running club. He said he met a lot of new people when he did that. I quite like the idea as well as I've started doing it a lot more recently.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,845 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    afternoon my lovelies,

hope everyone is ok. i agree with pyxis, its better to have no friends than toxic friends. and that includes family members.

i sorta dated a bloke and thought we where friends. not really i found out he did not want a relationship with me, as i did not have a sense of humor according to him. turns out he thought it was funny to bait people and generally be a git. so i ignored his texts and got on with my life.

toxic friends and family, that upset, hurt or use you are not worth knowing at all. i have cut out my older brother because of that.

its not easy to make friends as you get older. i have one very close friend who lives miles away. she knows who she is. i also have other friends who are lovely and like to include me and AM in stuff. even if we dont live in the same village as them. i have only known them for the last year and bit. and they are happy to dog sit and even you let you kip on there sofa if needed.

i know i come across as being a bit aloof but thats the shyness and anxiety. but i know that they have told AM i am fab and great. still dont believe them but thats another story :rotfl:

everyone take care

yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Stoke
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »
    afternoon my lovelies,

hope everyone is ok. i agree with pyxis, its better to have no friends than toxic friends. and that includes family members.

i sorta dated a bloke and thought we where friends. not really i found out he did not want a relationship with me, as i did not have a sense of humor according to him. turns out he thought it was funny to bait people and generally be a git. so i ignored his texts and got on with my life.

toxic friends and family, that upset, hurt or use you are not worth knowing at all. i have cut out my older brother because of that.

its not easy to make friends as you get older. i have one very close friend who lives miles away. she knows who she is. i also have other friends who are lovely and like to include me and AM in stuff. even if we dont live in the same village as them. i have only known them for the last year and bit. and they are happy to dog sit and even you let you kip on there sofa if needed.

i know i come across as being a bit aloof but thats the shyness and anxiety. but i know that they have told AM i am fab and great. still dont believe them but thats another story :rotfl:

everyone take care

yours

Calley x
    I don't believe they set out to hurt me. I think I'm just sensitive at the moment. I've never been like this before though. I'm very cognisant of the fact this is a recent thing (last 12-14 months)
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,845 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't believe they set out to hurt me. I think I'm just sensitive at the moment. I've never been like this before though. I'm very cognisant of the fact this is a recent thing (last 12-14 months)

they might not be. but it is upsetting and causing you pain. you have 3 options. 1)keep quiet and be upset 2) call them out on it and tell them you are no longer happy for certain events to be recounted as it causes you distress 3) no longer keep them as friends.

real friends will understand. if they don't are they worth keeping around?

only you can make the choice

yours

calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Pyxis
    Options
    I'll be honest, that doesn't sound like me, however my dad has suggested I join a running club. He said he met a lot of new people when he did that. I quite like the idea as well as I've started doing it a lot more recently.

That sounds great! Something you enjoy doing, something that you can do on your own OR with a group, and a club sounds fun.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Stoke
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »
    they might not be. but it is upsetting and causing you pain. you have 3 options. 1)keep quiet and be upset 2) call them out on it and tell them you are no longer happy for certain events to be recounted as it causes you distress 3) no longer keep them as friends.

real friends will understand. if they don't are they worth keeping around?

only you can make the choice

yours

calley x
    I think they know something is up with me, so I suspect they'll start to lay off if I tell them. Can I bring myself to tell them though. It's hard to face up to this stuff.

That sounds great! Something you enjoy doing, something that you can do on your own OR with a group, and a club sounds fun.

One of the reasons I've grown to enjoy running lately (aside from it's awesome weight loss benefits) is that I find it is a very good way to release some of the constant turmoil that seems to be in my head these days. Honestly, I sometimes wonder what is going on up there at the moment. Maybe I need to map out my head on paper.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback