Urchhhh's new diary :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Fab!

This is the first time I have ever switched been paid for it, loving it.

Dxxx
  • Urchhhh
    Urchhhh Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I loved it too, such easy money. It was the best paid 10 minutes of my life!

We're aiming to set up our childcare business by the start of January, we're currently working on advertising and getting things set up. We don't want to officially start until we have children on the books.

My work is on a two weekly rota with 2 days off per week. Obviously if they don't need you, you'll be sent home but this is unlikely over the next few months due to it being harvest season. I start on Monday and the manager asked me if I could start Sunday instead as they need people to do an 11 hour shift, I refused as its too short notice. She said there will be chances more or less every week to do overtime.

My plan is do as much overtime as I can without burning myself out and blast through what I can pay off/savings so I don't need to worry about it when we start the business up.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That's a great idea to do it that way, good that you have the OT opportunities in work also.

Will be fab once you are all up & running!

Dxxx
  • Urchhhh
    Options
    Jobs going well, its very boring and repetitive but its money at the end of the day!

I've sent M to a childminders as I don't want her going back to the nursery (5 complaints) so I needed to pay fees upfront for a month and I had to do that before tax credits had given us support so it cleared a lot of our money from emergency savings and I've had to use the credit card again but it should fix itself out when that comes through. Give it a few months and I should be settled back into a routine and taking money off our goals.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Glad it's all going well.

The money will all sort itself out in the end so I wouldn't worry too much about that my sweet.

My DH started a new job this week, took a 4k pay cut but will be happier for it & in the long run he has more prospects for a management role & a higher salary so we will probably have to change our debt free & savings goals a bit too.

How is M getting on with the childminder?

Dxxx
  • Urchhhh
    Options
    Wedding wise... me and my friend are both getting married next year and through our conversations I've realised how money saving I am. So far from what she's told me she is doing, I've worked out its at least £10,000 minimum for her wedding. Mine is half the price roughly. I'm planning on paying for it all in full, she's taking out a loan.

So far mine is...
    Venue (includes hire, food for guests, 2 drinks for everyone, DJ, room for me and D at night and a few other bits and bobs like table/chair covers etc): £3000
    Photographer: £600 (my parents have decided they will pay for this though)
    D and best man kilt hire: £120
    Cake: £175
    Ceilidh band: No idea but my grans idea and she is paying for it as its her gift to us
    Bridesmaid dress: Only have one bridesmaid, dress is £32 and will need to get accessories still.
    M's dress: I've seen a lovely one for £40
    Transport: none required as I'll drive myself down the day before and the wedding is all in the same place
    Registar £340

Still need to work out flowers, invitations, my dress(not looking forward to this), table decorations, favours, hair/makeup and accessories. I think thats it..

I've also realised every month I'm paying off our honeymoon direct to Thomson. We have £2000 left to pay and until July 2017 to pay it off. I've decided Instead I'm going to put it into my TSB current account that pays 5% interest when I pay at least £500 into it. I might aswell make interest off of the money!
  • Urchhhh
    Options
    M is loving the childminder! When the school children are away theres only 3 of them and shes the only girl. Childminder says she is the newest but shes made herself the boss!
    Childminder is also cheaper, someone Ive known for a long time (one of my high schools friends mum) and she feeds her so i dont have to worry about M's lunch!
    Pay cut is worth it if your quality of life improves anyway!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Aw that's good she is settling in well, no surprise that the only girl is being the boss ;-)

Yeah we choose quality of life over money any day of the week.

Dxxx
  • Urchhhh
    Options
    Wow I haven't updated in a long time!

So first off, our holiday was amazing! Although we ended up spending a bit too much on the credit card thanks to D, we went to Xel-ha and you can swim with dolphins. I was interested so decided to find out a bit more about it.. $99 per person! D said to me 'Do we have enough on us to pay for it?' I told him no and M started fussing so I dealt with her and OH paid it on the credit card. He thought I meant just not enough to pay in cash but I meant at all! So anyway M really liked swimming with dolphins! So that was a good £350 on the card when you took into the conversion fee and everything!

After 12 weeks they agency terminated my contract because of attendance (What am I supposed to do with a sick child, bring her to the factory?!) but it was a blessing in disguise as since I no longer had a contract with the agency I just went straight to HR of the factorys actual company and they gave me an interview and I'm now writing this after my second day of my PERMANENT 38.75 HOURS A WEEK CONTRACT. So very happy on that front! Also happy that I won't get a 'sorry your shifts been cancelled' message again like it always happened with the agency, one week I got 6 hours. SIX.

I also have taken an extra 1.5hours on my shift tomorrow, my goal is any overtime I take I will put in a seperate savings account to save for a holiday. The last two years I haven't got anything for D for his birthday so my plan is to save up my overtime money and take us away somewhere for his birthday!

Wedding plans... nearly done! And it was a complete surprise to me but my family are basically paying for it all. I'm still going to save up £3000 for it anyway though.

OH just found out today that if his work does the cuts he will be dropped in hours to an amount we can't survive on. So job hunting for him!

Money wise we aren't in the best position but we're getting there. Theres more money on the credit card than I would like to be and we haven't had a chance to save much.
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done on nice holiday and on job. A permanent contract is a blessing. I hope your fianc!'s job works out. It's nice that your family is helping with the wedding I think that is v good.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport