Milann's life keeps getting in the way.......

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,498 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Have just eaten a punnet of grapes & now feel a bit queasy.
    Heathy eating is not all it is cut out to be :rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • milann
    milann Posts: 10,603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had a really good food day yesterday and went for a nice walk at localism Nation Trust place - just missed the rain - when we got back I did loads of cooking for this coming week. Cooked a small piece of gammon, made a minestrone soup from the stock. Cooked a chicken in the oven at same time as gammom:money: shredded it and made chicken stock from carcass to go in freezer for soup. A big tray of roasted veg and big pan of mash ( dh did the chopping and mashing for me) That will do me for quite a few days worth of dinner and teas and I hoped keep me on track with SW....

This evening I visited a friend i went through primary and secondary school with but lost contact with over 20 years ago. Life just got in both our ways. I recognised her daughters name on a site about the history of my childhood town and made contact. Anyway it was arranged I visit this evening - I came away a bit sad - I wouldn’t have recognised her and there is obviously some sort of illness/problem. - she couldn’t hold down a conversation. She remembered me and seemed genuinely pleased to see me. She used to be tiny and very prim and proper in her appearance and in her home - lets just say she’d let everything go and seemed really old (yes I know I am old :p - she’s virtually a year younger than me but I’d have put her a lot older) It was a bit of a sad state of affairs.... sometimes the past is best left there. I’d envisaged an evening of laughs about our school days and teenage years - I arrived at 7 and was back home at 8.30 and it’s a twenty minute drive. We looked at some of her old family photos and we watched Corrie and I babbled about the characters - she filled in with oooohhhh - yeeessss. I wish her daughter had have warned me a bit. When I got in I hit the crisps and chocolates :mad:....ah well it’s done now - tomorrows another day

NSD yesterday and today was £30 petrol and £3 for a plant to take to friend.
    January spends - £587.58
  • milann
    Options
    Hope your feeling better after the grapes Beanie - SSG all sounds lovely except the pearl barley - I can’t stand the texture of it - I remember picking it out of the soup my mum made and lining it around my plate - my mum wasn’t impressed :rotfl:
    January spends - £587.58
  • beanielou
    Options
    Blimey. That is some cooking session.
    As you say sometimes the past is better left there.
    Sad though.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• milann
    Options
    Yeah I came away feeling a tad strange- sad, regretting not making more contact with her- but I couldn’t have with everything I had going on - she had things too - she lost her hubby and had 2 children. Just life circumstances....I can’t change anything - I might pop in occasionally but I don’t know what else I can do. Wish I hadn’t tainted the memories but sort of glad she was pleased to see me...
    January spends - £587.58
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Shame about your friend, but don't regret things - you've had a lot going on. You sound like you'll keep in touch now and again so she'll be pleased with that. Strange sometimes how things turn out.

Good going on the cooking!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • milann
    Options
    I’ve been thinking about friend a lot - I’ve come to the conclusion I did what I could to keep in touch at various times - telephones and roads go in 2 directions - I’m not shouldering all the blame for losing contact - I’ve had some pretty major things going on with myself and family in the time since I last saw her. Life can be sad sometimes and I’m glad I made contact - I will pop in periodically for half an hour but I can’t cure all - I’m quite pleased I brought a smile to her face last night - it is what it is....

I think seeing her with whatever ails her and a close friend recently diognosed with dementia recently hit home - conditions I associated with older generations to me are suddenly happening to friends my age....thought provoking :eek:

I spent £1.40 this evening - I went into my local town for a quick nosey - it’s a shadow of its former self there are so many closed down shops. I bought a snack pack of ham - I was starvin Marvin and needed something quickly - so a pack of reduced yellow sticker ham did the job. I didn’t buy anything else. Running total for January including a haircut tomorrow will be £95 - I have filled the car in that which should last best part of the month - I need to reign in if I’m ever going to get any savings :money::eek::T
    January spends - £587.58
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    You're so right about contact being a two-way street - and as you say you made the effort and cheered her up.

Re getting older - I'm at the time now when I'm beginning to lose my older cousins - it does make you think.

I think the breakdown of local shopping communities is a general malaise. I'm lucky that my own little high street is still quite vibrant but it's a different story when you visit the two other bigger centres. :(
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • beanielou
    Options
    As you say friendship is a two way thing.

• milann
    Options
    Yes over the last few years my local town has lost M&S, BHS, Toys r us, Peacocks, Dorothy Perkins, Next Outlet, a department store, my favourite little local butcher/pie shop.....and that’s without thinking. It’s looking as if we will also lose Debenhams. There was quite a bit of excitement as Peaky Blinders were filming at the theatre where I had my afternoon tea last week. They were there earlier in the week too and I think they’ll be there tomorrow. I’ve never watched it so didn’t hang around in the cold. Might be worth seeing if I can find it on Netflix or anywhere to see what the fuss is about.
    January spends - £587.58
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure