We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Aldi has just opened in my town, really happy as I've been waiting for 3 years! Loving their versions of actimels etc.

So now I have Lidl AND Aldi. What would one advise to avoid at Aldi?

Nothing really. Can't think of anything I've bought that I've been particularly disappointed in. I don't buy ready meals, cereals, bakery (other than wraps) or snack foods. I prefer to cook my own meals so I tend to buy a lot of fresh produce, meat, poultry, fish, delicatessen, dairy, eggs etc. Then general store cupboard items, toiletries and cleaning products. Oh, and alcohol lol

I'm not keen on their dishwasher tablets, they seem to leave my glasses streaky. But other than that can't really fault anything.
  • abby1234519
    abby1234519 Posts: 1,961 Forumite
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Nothing really. Can't think of anything I've bought that I've been particularly disappointed in. I don't buy ready meals, cereals, bakery (other than wraps) or snack foods. I prefer to cook my own meals so I tend to buy a lot of fresh produce, meat, poultry, fish, delicatessen, dairy, eggs etc. Then general store cupboard items, toiletries and cleaning products. Oh, and alcohol lol

I'm not keen on their dishwasher tablets, they seem to leave my glasses streaky. But other than that can't really fault anything.

I just bought a big box of dishwasher tablets from Aldi, no doubt the OH will complain if they don't clean properly.

I was pretty impressed with the selection, I think I will still visit lidl as OH likes their chocolate yoghurts but I can't see us going back to ASDA again now we have both.

Only problem is that it gets so busy, 9am on Saturday was heaving!
    Money money money.

Debt
    Dec 2016: [STRIKE]£25,158.71[/STRIKE] £21,999.99

#28 Pay off debt in 2017 £3803.55
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Our Aldi closes at 10.00pm. From about 9.00pm the store is busy with staff restocking shelves but very few customers.

That is when I like to go shopping. Room to walk about and the staff as polite and helpful as ever.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    I think almost all Aldi stores are open 8am-10pm so I prefer to go as they open during the week because most of the shelves, especially fresh produce, has been re-stocked and there are not many shoppers at that time. People are either getting kids ready for school or getting ready to go off to work.

Similarly, I find mid afternoon (2:30-3:30pm) to be fairly quiet as people are either doing school runs or haven't yet finished work. Or, as the poster above says, between 8pm and 10pm in the evening.

I used to pass an Aldi on the way home from work/gym so loved wandering around the store around 8pm but I don't have a local store so don't fancy trekking out in the evenings. I never go at the weekend lol
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Happygreen wrote: »
    what a whole load of nonsense. Any other stores can stock it all year round. Bread (nor the flour used to bake it) is a seasonal product any longer, not for a century or so?

Trouble is Aldi is not really a full blown supermarket.

To be honest a lot of people use more flour during the winter period than the summer.

So that shelf space can be better used to sell a summer product which in financial terms will give a better return.

Which is what the selling business is all about.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 29,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 10 Posts
    The only thing I've not liked in Aldi was pickled red cabbage as it wasn't crisp and crunchy the way I like it. I could have just been unlucky with a batch but never bought it since.
  • just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Right, first bad thing at lidl they need to have covers over the fresh bakery stuff....loads of blue bottles hovering and people buying it, boke.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,142 Forumite
    Name Dropper 1,000 Posts Part of the Furniture
    Got a bag of carrots from Lidl yesterday they were sweating like a !!!!! in church picked the best looking bag because I needed them,when home I opened them and half were covered in black spots and mushy on the ends,ended up with about 5 from the bag.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,253 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler Intrepid Forum Explorer
    I got some fresh raspberries from Aldi yesterday, and they were some of the best raspberries I have ever had.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic I've helped Parliament
    PLRFD wrote: »
    Got a bag of carrots from Lidl yesterday they were sweating like a !!!!! in church picked the best looking bag because I needed them,when home I opened them and half were covered in black spots and mushy on the ends,ended up with about 5 from the bag.

I've stopped buying carrots from lidls. The last three bags I bought went black and slimy within a day

Their onions can be pretty iffy as well
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.