We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sandypan wrote: »
    I have been an Aldi fan and shopper for over 20 years, OH likes Lidl. Must admit that over the last 6 months I have been changing allegiance. My local Aldi store is now too busy, you often can't get on the car park and in store the aisles are too narrow and now too busy. There is a Lidl store right opposite and I started going in there out of frustration with Aldi and now like it much more. There is a better range of fruit and vegetables which appear to stay fresher for longer and good quality deli items. I think Aldi need to rethink before more people start looking elsewhere.

The f & v selection at my Lidl is rubbish compared to my local Aldi. I've never had a problem with the f & v at Aldi. If you store it correctly it lasts as long as stuff from any other supermarket.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    my 'local' Aldi is fantastic for fruit and veg! The one over in town though is rubbish! I put it down to stock management. the local one is much smaller and turnover is higher in comparison as it so popular.
    I LOVE that store - I went into Adsa this morning and it just made me appreciate Aldi that much more.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    my 'local' Aldi is fantastic for fruit and veg! The one over in town though is rubbish! I put it down to stock management. the local one is much smaller and turnover is higher in comparison as it so popular.
    I LOVE that store - I went into Adsa this morning and it just made me appreciate Aldi that much more.

Interesting as I was thinking much the same myself about our local stores. The one I use regularly is great as is the one in the next town that I go to after work sometimes. But there's a third in a nearby market town that always seems to have items out of stock, looks a mess and very few staff around to ask if you need help. I've put it down to the quality of management and staff training.

I might call into Lidl this weekend hoping for some of the pulled beef that's on offer although if anything like last time they won't have any:(. I go there rarely as it's on a busy roundabout and getting out of the car park safely is very difficult.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Interesting as I was thinking much the same myself about our local stores. The one I use regularly is great as is the one in the next town that I go to after work sometimes. But there's a third in a nearby market town that always seems to have items out of stock, looks a mess and very few staff around to ask if you need help. I've put it down to the quality of management and staff training.

Much the same here too. One excellent store, and one that's in a bit of a mess all the time, and with much shorter dates on the food.

Aldi offers its graduate recruits £42,000 pa (£70,000 within four years) and an Audi A4. Longish hours (50 pw quoted) and a lot of hard work, but there's a lot of scope for improving the not so well run stores, and maybe when they get more high quality area managers there'll be more uniformity.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Much the same here too. One excellent store, and one that's in a bit of a mess all the time, and with much shorter dates on the food.

Aldi offers its graduate recruits £42,000 pa (£70,000 within four years) and an Audi A4. Longish hours (50 pw quoted) and a lot of hard work, but there's a lot of scope for improving the not so well run stores, and maybe when they get more high quality area managers there'll be more uniformity.

That's a good rate of pay. Perhaps that's why so many teachers are leaving as they only earn a fraction of that, do at least those hours and no car either!

Good news from Lidl was that they did have the Pulled Beef so several packs are in the freezer and DH has requested it for supper this evening.:)
  • his_missus
    his_missus Posts: 3,363 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Aldi shop planned for tomorrow/Monday depending on the weather.

We usually buy Asda Shades loo roll (or Cushelle if on offer) and Branston baked beans (Hubby doesn't like Heinz beans), how do Aldi's own compare? Usually buy 3 tins of beans at £1 shop...
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    his_missus wrote: »
    Aldi shop planned for tomorrow/Monday depending on the weather.

We usually buy Asda Shades loo roll (or Cushelle if on offer) and Branston baked beans (Hubby doesn't like Heinz beans), how do Aldi's own compare? Usually buy 3 tins of beans at £1 shop...

I'm a former Heinz beans fan but actually prefer Aldi beans (Corale) now (less sugar/salt) and they're cheaper at 99p for pack of four.
  • Doc_N
    Options
    his_missus wrote: »
    ....... and Branston baked beans (Hubby doesn't like Heinz beans), how do Aldi's own compare? Usually buy 3 tins of beans at £1 shop...

I'm with him on Heinz (not keen) and Branston (preferred brand). Tried the Aldi ones but not keen, so sticking to Branston.

Unusual for me - avoid brands wherever possible, but baked beans are a rare exception.
  • gb61
    gb61 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    what is it with the long life milk cartons,,,, ive bought these for a few years, but now when I go to open the cap the whole thing comes off!!!!!!!!!!! so trying to pour from the carton is impossible,, im getting really fed up of them changing produce, same with their butter (lurpak similer) straight in the bin,, and off to asda, which we seem to be doing more and more, aldi is going down the pan in my estimation,
  • Doc_N
    Options
    gb61 wrote: »
    what is it with the long life milk cartons,,,, ive bought these for a few years, but now when I go to open the cap the whole thing comes off!!!!!!!!!!! so trying to pour from the carton is impossible,, im getting really fed up of them changing produce, same with their butter (lurpak similer) straight in the bin,, and off to asda, which we seem to be doing more and more, aldi is going down the pan in my estimation,
    Off to Asda? To pay around 30% more for much the same food? Good luck! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport