We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    The factory is up North which was flooded over the winter, hence why Gingernuts have been almost extinct for the past few months in every supermarket!! They all get supplied by the same factory. I'm guessing Aldi are selling old stocks but other supermarkets are peed off because Aldi are only supermarket selling Gingernuts since Xmas!!

I assume the other biscuit/snacks are also made in same factory.

That's the United Biscuits factory in Carlisle. This one's in Middlesbrough and it's not a flooding issue.

All looks fine according to the rather basic website, but there are some worrying comments from a while back if you trawl the net. Hindsight's a wonderful thing, though.

Aldi look to have been seriously caught out here, and it's going to damage them - no other major supermarket was involved, which is unusual.

Production Facilities

State of the art’ production facility on its own 5 acre site. Multi-purpose plant manufacturing a wide range of sweet , semi-sweet biscuits , crackers and baked snacks. Extensive bagging & flow wrap packaging systems.

Accreditations
    BRC Global Standard Food Issue 5 Grade A
    British Retail Consortium requirement for
    supplying retailer U.K. branded products
    IFS (International Food Standards) Higher level
    PPC Audit - Marks & Spencer Approved
    Tesco Food Manufacturing Standard
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    That's the United Biscuits factory in Carlisle. This one's in Middlesbrough and it's not a flooding issue.

All looks fine according to the rather basic website, but there are some worrying comments from a while back if you trawl the net. Hindsight's a wonderful thing, though.

Aldi look to have been seriously caught out here, and it's going to damage them - no other major supermarket was involved, which is unusual.

Production Facilities

State of the art’ production facility on its own 5 acre site. Multi-purpose plant manufacturing a wide range of sweet , semi-sweet biscuits , crackers and baked snacks. Extensive bagging & flow wrap packaging systems.

Accreditations
    BRC Global Standard Food Issue 5 Grade A
    British Retail Consortium requirement for
    supplying retailer U.K. branded products
    IFS (International Food Standards) Higher level
    PPC Audit - Marks & Spencer Approved
    Tesco Food Manufacturing Standard

Interesting! I wonder whether it's a similar incident to the one B&M had in its distribution store in Liverpool which was over run by mice & rats and I'm guessing from the report below, some actually ended up being transported to stores too :rotfl:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/gorton-bm-stopped-selling-food-9571933
  • Dippypud
    Dippypud Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
    No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
    "l! ilyë yantë ranya nar vanwë"
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 March 2016 at 7:56PM
    Options
    http://www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/news/2016/15032/baketime-ltd-recalls-branded-biscuit-and-snack-products

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/7036621/Aldi-biscuits-made-in-dirty-factory-recalled-over-contamination-fears.html?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-FBPAGE-_-TheSun-thesun-_-20160330-_-News-_-412574233-_-Imageandlink

Aldi Cheese Thins (10% Cheese) – L16026, L16027, L16055, L16056, L16057, L16073, L16074, L16075
    Aldi Cheese Bakes – L16026, L16027, L16032, L16033, L16039, L16040, L16046, L16047, L16053, L16366, L16060, L16066, L16067, L16073
    Aldi Oddbites Cheese – L16060
    Aldi Oddbites Salt and Vinegar – L16061
    Aldi Oddbites Smoky Bacon – L16061
    Aldi Ginger Nuts – L16047, L16048, L16061, L16062, L16068, L16069
    Bestway Mini All Butter Shortbread L16034
    Bestway Mini Brownies L16035
    Bestway Mini Cheese Thins L16032, L16033
    Bestway Mini Choc Chip Cookies L16035
    Happy Shopper Cheese Thins L16026, L16027, L16032, L16053, L16366, L16060, L16066
    Happy Shopper Fudge Brownies L16041
    Happy Shopper Choc Chip Cookies L16041​
    LBV Potato Bakes Korma L16034
    LBV Potato Bakes Mild Thai L16034
    LBV Strawberry and Vanilla Biscotti L16027
    - See more at: http://www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/news/2016/15032/baketime-ltd-recalls-branded-biscuit-and-snack-products#sthash.qxVFX8KL.dpuf
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,194 Forumite
    Options
    To be clear, the Bestway, Happy Shopper and LBV products are not Aldi products - they are things that Baketime make for other retailers.

Also, the Aldi products will have brand names like Savour Bakes and Belmont Biscuit Company.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    This is already costing Aldi dear in bad publicity, which Tesco et al will be only too pleased to exploit.

Unusually, too, no other large supermarket seems to be involved with Baketime Ltd in this. Aldi have already, according to The Grocer, 'suspended' their relationship with Baketime for the present.

Looks as if they may have taken a chance, in view of the problems with the original supplier, and now it's rebounding on them.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,194 Forumite
    Options
    I shop regularly at Aldi, and I'd never even heard of most of the products in question. Does it bother me if a product I've never heard of and never buy is recalled? No, not really.

Give it a couple of weeks and it'll be yesterday's news (if that isn't a mixed wotsit).

How are Tesco exploiting it?
  • dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    Options
    Lidl toilet rolls seem pretty good. 4 ply and they don't fall apart on use. And their cheapest chocolate, the plain wrapper 30P bars, is actually quite good. I was surprised.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My OH is the fruit bat but after trying all types of Aldi citrus fruit, thinks it rubbish flavourwise and we are returning to the local Waitrose fold for fresh fruit. Since Waitrose is local to us it's also easier to return outrightly bad fruit.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I shop regularly at Aldi, and I'd never even heard of most of the products in question. Does it bother me if a product I've never heard of and never buy is recalled? No, not really.

Give it a couple of weeks and it'll be yesterday's news (if that isn't a mixed wotsit).

How are Tesco exploiting it?

I can't see how Tesco can possibly exploit it or that it'll be particularly damaging to Aldi. It certainly wouldn't stop me from continuing to shop there. The only thing I've ever bought from that list are the Gingernuts and I haven't died from eating them :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport