We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Dancing in the Rain

Options

Comments

• doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Orange_Ena wrote: »
    Hi DIA

24 months isn't that long at all. How quick has the last 24 gone? Or even how quick has nearly 48 months gone since the London Olympics? Maybe you'll have a little windfall, who knows :)

I hope face pack Friday happens this week for you :D

Amazing bargains in Waitr0se, well done. My local one is a bit too far to nip to :o
    Determined to get a face pack for Friday :D

I am moving office in the Autumn so no more Waitro*** bargains as it won't be convenient. I shall miss it

You and beanielou are right 24 months is no time really. I must cultivate patience :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Cultivate the patience...now that's a good one. Never been my strong point that!

Will you have a good alternative in the Autumn near the office?

Need to get up and get a shimmy on. Just signed up for BzzAgent..anyone had any good or bad experiences with their freebies?
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    MuffinTops wrote: »
    Hello DIA,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your curtains. How frustrating. I did find this though, in case anything in there helps you:
    http://www.rd.com/home/cleaning-organizing/how-to-remove-ink-stains/

I love the feeling of having a pedicure, after it's done. I find it a torture during the procedure as my feet are so sensitive!!!!

I completely agree with Orange Ena about how fast time will fly by. It's hard to see now, but when you get through this it makes it worth so much more and you really learn lifelong lessons.

Happy June to you!!!

MTxx

Happy June to you too! :)

Thanks re the curtains. I got them in a market in Soho and they are silk and Sanderson a 1950's design that is beautiful/ugly with huge triffid like flowers and in honesty they are a bit much and imposing in full length. They will be better shorter and I can tie back during the day in my bedroom. An excuse to use my sewing machine (not that I know how. I'll look for instructions on you tube...) In fact I might get 2 pairs out of them, although I might need to get some help on such a big project :)

I so agree about life lessons in fact I will make changes the basis of my post this evening...

Thanks MT x
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    3 good things

Moleskine diaries. I love mine. I use a digital calendar too but every time I open my lemon diary I love it :)

My feet. Now they are all glossy, I like them again :)

My living room. I moan about the house but I’m lucky to have it really.:)

A WFH day so time to dip in and out of debt diaries.

Something MT said when I was lamenting my 24 months until my DF date. She reminded me of the lessons along the way and it made me stop and reflect on how different I am already.

I no longer spend without regard to the position I will be at the end of the month. I have lived the hell of no money for tea or coffee, empty cupboards, walking so I can take a bus to work instead of a train, not eating lunch and feeling ‘woe is me.’ It’s all unnecessary and I refuse to do that to myself again. :)

I can quite happily have NSDs and think nothing of it. They used to make me anxious. I had no idea how to survive without small daily spends that I thought were essential to make my life comfortable. They are not. There are pleasures in things other than spending money and I knew that theoretically but I didn’t really live that.:)

My Nero card was constantly full or nearly full and now my loyalty points take forever to accumulate. I used to have a coffee most days. Now, I go for weeks sometimes without paying for a coffee. When I do, it feels more deliberate, more treat like.:)

I used to feel deprived without flowers now I cut something from the garden, even beautiful leaves will do, or branches and that will do me fine.:)

I shop in the German discount supermarkets now and love them, although I still love Waitr*** I use them for reductions and free coffee instead :)

I have a long way to go, my next step must be selling stuff as milasaves jogged my memory on my decluttering aims. But this post is about how far I’ve come and lessons learnt.

Another 24 months? Bring it on. ;)

DIA x

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    You've definitely got this DIA. It's lovely to see how far you've come already. MTxx
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wonderful positive reflection. I so enjoyed reading what you had to say!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,893 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lovely DIA... you're picking this up much faster than I did :rotfl:

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • Orange_Ena
    Orange_Ena Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    Brilliant post DIA, loved reading that :T
    Debt Apr 15 - £6895.44 :( Apr 17 - £2500 :) Dec 17 - £560 :) July 18 - £199 :D
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £685.79
    Every penny is a prisoner :D
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Thursdays and Fridays are commuting days, so much harder. Plus, it was a difficult day today. I can’t wait for my 2 days off. Roll on Sunday.

I realise some Thursdays and most Friday mornings I don’t eat breakfast and buy nuts and chocolate instead. That costs almost £4 each time, so I will have to take breakfast in for Thursday and Friday as this is wasting money and isn’t healthy either.:(

Thursdays/Fridays I lose control of the house. Chaos is returning.:o

I grabbed a prepped thai red sauce and added some salmon and had it with kale and quinoa. A delicious, nutritious meal. Now, if I can just get my chocolate eating under control….Today I ate too much sugar:o

Picked up some half price free range chicken legs and salmon in Waitr*** that was 3.52 but reduced to 1.23. My plan is NEVER to buy for full price protein if I can help it. I take a cool bag to work with lunch (today it was soup) and bring home whatever I can find reduced in Waitr**** in the cool bag in the afternoon. It’s a good system.:)

I’m going to menu plan tomorrow for the week and buy some fresh fruit and veggies.

Friday is a tough day so I am switching from face pack Friday to sort it out Saturday. I have Orange Ena to thank for the idea :T

3 good things

A seat on the train on the way home (the last one) :)

I’m eating better and my weight is slowly decreasing :)

The hardest part of the week is over and I survived it :)

I hope you arrived at the end of the week intact. Have a happy weekend :)
    DIA x

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    One of my heroes has died and I am in his debt

Courage, beauty, respect, pride, grace. He showed me what they were, when I was young and needed someone to show me

A story...

I was 25. I went to my sister shocked that my eight year old niece didn't know who Ali was
    'She doesn't need to know who a boxer is, 'she told me.
    I didn't answer, but I felt sad that my sister thought that the greatest thing about the greatest boxer the world had ever seen was his boxing.

DIA x

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills