Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

If we vote for Brexit what happens

Options

Comments

• Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tommysaver wrote: »
    My local area just had a poll on facebook, again, re-inforcing everything I am seeing.

Out, 297 votes.
    In, 153 votes
    Undecided, 41 votes
    Not voting, 3 votes.

Incredible. Interesting couple of weeks ahead!

That's not a poll.
  • tommysaver
    tommysaver Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    Generali wrote: »
    That's not a poll.

Well, it is.

In real terms, most localised polls (that can actually be trusted) show an overwhelming out result.
  • mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    Options
    Conrad wrote: »
    At a BBQ were people who took no real interest and have not watched any of the debates and they were for remain for no more reason than they feared change

None of them knew of the risks of remain such as the poor nations about to join

They probably looked back and saw 40 years of Britain inside Europe. From the 'poor man of Europe' to the confident, open, prosperous, outward looking nation we are today.
    Nothing to do with fearing change.
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    EXPERT ECONOMISTS / BODIES / REGULATORS - SUFFERING GROUP-THINK;

Just reading 'No One Would Listen', an account of the worlds largest Ponzi scheme perpetrated by Bernie Madoff, which went bust in 2008 taking peoples entire life savings with it. It was one giant and very visible fraud.

The author, Harry Markopolos with a team of 4 colleagues spent 9 years warning the various regulators and authorities about this Ponzi scheme, presenting them detailed dossiers of evidence, but on each occasion absolutely nothing was done as the weight of opinion on Wall Street was that Madoff was a good egg.

GROUP THINK EXPERTS OFTEN CANNOT SEE THE WOODS FOR THE TREES - just consider the list of regulators, stake holders and authorities below that simply could not see the massive Ponzi scheme before their eyes despite 9 years of pleading by a team of 5 outsider whistle blowers;

+ The SEC
    + The Federal Reserve
    + The Federal Insurance Deposit Corporation
    + The Office Of The Comptroller Of The Currency
    + The Office Of Thrift Supervision

+ Various investment houses, dealer rooms, stock brokers, financial advisers, many firms that invested their client funds with Bernie Madoff
    + other smaller players

So when the likes of Cephus tell me experts in the guise of the BOE, The IMF, Economists and Big Banks are the be all and end all of opinion I really ask them to step back and see the bigger picture

Think of all the child abuse cases that happen right in front of various state organs such as social services, and that time and again fail to spot the true picture - EXPERTS all in denial that cannot see the wood for the trees - GROUP-THINK
  • Rinoa
    Rinoa Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    Options
    Apparently Junker will be joining the debate very shortly.

From Der Spiegel:
    Jean-Claude Juncker isn't the kind of man who likes to be told to keep quiet. When it comes to defending the European Union, the Luxembourger doesn't usually hold his tongue for long. But when it comes to what could turn out to be the most important issue of his term in office -- the threat of Britain's exit from the EU -- the head of the powerful European Commission has been astonishingly quiet.

The reason is that Juncker had to promise British Prime Minister David Cameron that the EU executive branch would stay out of the Brexit debate. Officials in Brussels have a miserable reputation in Britain, and the last thing Cameron needs at the moment are EU commissioners promoting the union. Much to Juncker's chagrin, that also applies to the Commission president himself. Juncker only managed to convince Cameron to give him a small loophole: If Brexit supporters have a clear lead in polls in the week prior to the June 23 referendum, the Commission president will be allowed to make his voice heard. That, of course, would be too late to significantly shift public opinion, but it would mean that Juncker could not be accused of having done nothing to prevent a Brexit. Under no circumstances does Juncker want to go down in history as the first Commission president to preside over a member state departing the EU.

There's more:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/why-eu-leaders-are-not-speaking-out-about-brexit-a-1094261.html
    If I don't reply to your post,
    you're probably on my ignore list.
  • Rinoa
    Rinoa Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure what's happening to the betting odds. Early this morning Remain had drifted out to 1.73 at one stage. Just looked now and it's been backed down to 1.61. Just about where it was yesterday before more polls gave Brexit an increased lead.

Can't see any reason for this. Maybe the big hitters just let the odds drift out to get better value before lumping on to remain again.
    If I don't reply to your post,
    you're probably on my ignore list.
  • Mortgagefreeman
    Options
    Rinoa wrote: »
    Apparently Junker will be joining the debate very shortly.

From Der Spiegel:

There's more:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/why-eu-leaders-are-not-speaking-out-about-brexit-a-1094261.html

Bring it on. That'll boost the Brexit campaign even further!
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Excellent short video from The Guardian today - "we didn't expect 9/10 of the people (we spoke to) in Stoke to be for Brexit"

As I've long said, the Islington mamby pamby brigade has hi-jacked Labour, and the people know it

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/video/2016/jun/14/labour-supporters-brexit-stoke-on-trent-eu-referendum-video
  • Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tommysaver wrote: »
    Well, it is.

In real terms, most localised polls (that can actually be trusted) show an overwhelming out result.

Not it's not, it's not been normalized in any way. It's a Voodoo poll.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure