£157.50 cashback from TCB for opening Co-Operative Bank Acc

Options

Comments

• Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's no indication in the application process that you need to switch but the implication is that you have to do. They ask you for your main account number, and there's that funny sentence in the offer T&Cs: Cashback will only be paid to customers who take out the product and transfer to it as their main account. I am quite happy to switch as I was waiting for a switch offer anyway.

I don't have any existing accounts with the Coop.
  • MARTYM8`
    MARTYM8` Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    There's no indication in the application process that you need to switch but the implication is that you have to do. They ask you for your main account number, and there's that funny sentence in the offer T&Cs: Cashback will only be paid to customers who take out the product and transfer to it as their main account. I am quite happy to switch as I was waiting for a switch offer anyway.

I don't have any existing accounts with the Coop.

I find this section in the terms odd as well - given you can only switch via a branch visit or a telephone call. The co-op - unlike other providers - don't allow the entire process to be done on line.

"Any application that needs to be followed up offline (for example, to show proof of ID in a branch) or is over the 30 days from application won’t receive cashback"

http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/currentaccounts/currentaccount

When I opened my account for their switching incentive I was approved immediately but still had to go to a branch to provide ID and do the switch.

So technically they could rule out everybody - as you cannot complete a switch with them entirely online to make this your 'main' account as the Co-op requires a phone call or branch visit to do a switch. So its impossible to comply with the terms for the cashback?!
  • keiran
    keiran Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I saw that, too, - the offer is no longer available

But I had applied just an hour ago, and the full £157.50 is now showing as pending in my TCB account

But I did open and immediately close a Co-op account more than a year ago, and it's not clear if one gets the cashback this time, nor that my application will be accepted. My credit files bear all the hallmarks of a hardcore switcher of bank accounts for incentives!
  • MARTYM8`
    MARTYM8` Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    keiran wrote: »
    I saw that, too, - the offer is no longer available

But I had applied just an hour ago, and the full £157.50 is now showing as pending in my TCB account

But I did open and immediately close a Co-op account more than a year ago, and it's not clear if one gets the cashback this time, nor that my application will be accepted. My credit files bear all the hallmarks of a hardcore switcher of bank accounts for incentives!

Yes - seems its been withdrawn.

Given that quidco is only offering £15 I think it must as has been suggested be a decimal point in the wrong place.

Lucky those who were eligible and applied in time - lets see if you get the money as its impossible technically to meet the terms as per my earlier post as you cannot complete a switch with the Coop entirely online!:D
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Yorkshire_Pud Posts: 1,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 January 2016 at 10:10PM
    Options
    I may not have made myself clear.

'Co-operative Bank' as a TCB merchant no longer exists that's why it shows in black type instead of active RED in my awaited cashback as does Santander which no longer offers cashback.

'Co-operative Bank Current Account offers' is the new co-op offer on TCB if that makes sense. That would explain why the old T&C are appendixed to an offer no longer available from this (obsolete for TCB purposes) merchant?

Therefore the offer is still available from Co-operative Bank Current Account Offers, not to be confused with previous merchant Co-operative Bank:D

Addendum. Just applied and pending cashback £157.50 showing in my TCB account.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MARTYM8` wrote: »
    Yes - seems its been withdrawn.
    it's still there as of 20 seconds ago
    MARTYM8` wrote: »
    Given that quidco is only offering £15 I think it must as has been suggested be a decimal point in the wrong place.
    a wrong amount is a good possibility, given the overall mess with the T&Cs.
  • tg99
    tg99 Posts: 1,199 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I switched a donor account into a Coop current account recently and am due the £100 incentive now (actually chasing them for it as day 45 was on Friday and payment still not arrived) thought the additional £40 from Quidco not due for a while longer.

Nothing I can see in the T&C explicitly rules out existing customers and one could reasonably argue imo that the wording about transferring to it as your main account does not necessarily mean to switch your existing main account especially as this is not explicitly stated. E.g. one could put some money into the new account, set up a SO or two and thus have 'manually' transferred to it. As per other posts above, it is highly likely their own meaning is to switch your existing current account but I'm thinking of giving it a punt without switching and then arguing my case as required further down the line....if comes to nothing will still have a donor account for future use.
  • ratechaser
    ratechaser Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Addendum. Just applied and pending cashback £157.50 showing in my TCB account.

Just applied myself... Out of curiosity, how long did it take to show up as pending for you?

Well... Worth a punt at least I reckon, nothing ventured etc etc...
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Options
    ratechaser wrote: »
    Just applied myself... Out of curiosity, how long did it take to show up as pending for you?

Well... Worth a punt at least I reckon, nothing ventured etc etc...

About one minute:)
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 January 2016 at 10:50PM
    Options
    Something doesn't feel quite right about the offer terms and I had Coop offers before but I have just applied anyway. I have a couple of accounts I can switch so if they accept my application and if the switch doesn't involve phone calls, I will switch an account that looks as it's used regularly.

EDIT: showing as pending in my TCB account. Email from Coop says they'll be in touch by post or email within 5 working days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure