We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2016

Options

Comments

• Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,523 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Another £5 spent today. It was a cardi in the sale, the last one and fitted nicely so I thought why not. Hopefully I can get to April having spent only £20, which would be a third of the original budget up to then. I expect to spend a little more making up the odd bit when I get some more stuff from Sainsbury's during the double up.

According to my receipt the cardi was originally £18! It's lovely but I wouldn't have paid that for it. Through the challenge I'm getting better at only buying things that I think are value for money, rather than buying things that I think are overpriced because I like them. Resisted a £3 vest top; it didn't seem to be made well enough to justify £3, though the colour was very nice.
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 971 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Officially declaring a no-spend March! Only have £3.53 allocated for April to keep myself on track for the year but it's my birthday so I'll probably go over that :rotfl:
    Aqua 0/1850 Cap.One 0/450 Vanquis 0/500 HSBC 0/100
    :j ~Debt Free Date 07/12/2015~ :j

SPC member #530 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin 3-month EF: £2158.63/4600
    Make £10/day Nov-Dec £814.04 Jan-Apr £1689.78 May £233.57/310
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Declaring March as a No Spend month for me on clothes. That is 3 out of my 6 months and still £0 spend for the year.

Vintagegal if you need to have a rant or rave on here please do. We do not mind. Everyone needs to have someone/somewhere who/where you can get things off your chest. We may not be able to help but we can listen/read. Well done on not spending on clothes. Look forward to hearing more about your sewing room.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    vintagegal what the others have said - except I disagree about the Ikea thing... let's face it, we all know what a pain Ikea furniture is to assemble, just make sure you're choosing the most difficult combos - and preferably the ones with missing screws ;) (in which case it would suit him perfectly as he sounds like he's missing several himself :rotfl:)

No spends here but I have been wearing the cardi I bought in the US a lot, the one that basically cost me the same as it would've done here (actually about 3p more as I ran out of cash and had to put it on my card :o) I love it and am glad I bought it.

In fact the only thing I've bought since pay day is a stamp today - for a card I bought....using a gift card :money:
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    vintagegal what the others have said - except I disagree about the Ikea thing... let's face it, we all know what a pain Ikea furniture is to assemble, just make sure you're choosing the most difficult combos - and preferably the ones with missing screws ;) (in which case it would suit him perfectly as he sounds like he's missing several himself :rotfl:):money:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:You are so right kerri and vintagegal just to be on the safe side and 100% sure some bits are missing take a few bags out of the box and oops lose them ;)

Going to add £100 to the clothes account today as its been a no spend month for me so will have £300 ;)

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

• vintagegal
    vintagegal Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your support and making me smile. :)
    I still feel angry at the moment, and I am spending time every evening sorting things in the house - there is so much to go to the tip at the weekend! I moved all my fabric last night and was shocked at how much I have. I could make so many dresses!

This weekend I am hoping to make some more impact on moving things around to how I want them. And I am making a 'snagging list' of little jobs that my Dad will help me with - those little jobs that you somehow never get round to sorting out. We have been in our house for over 12 years so a few things are looking tired! Me included ;)

I've been thinking about what to do with the little upstairs room that I WAS using as a sewing room. I am thinking about getting a treadmill as we already have a folding exercise bike that never gets put up as there isnt any space for it, so this little room could be a 'gym' on a very small scale. Its not easy for me to do much exercise without paying for babysitting, and I know the children would love to have some equipment. Not sure if you can have a treadmill upstairs though? Hoping this might help with some weight loss...

Well done everyone for their considered or non existent purchases. This challenge really does make you think twice doesnt it! Although looking at my £311 spend you wouldnt think I had been thinking twice... but I am focussing on the fact that in 10 days time I would have not bought any clothes for 2 whole months! woo hoo!
    Fashion on the Ration 2020 - 5/66 spent
  • Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Options
    We are all being soooooo good and long may it last ;) It looks like all of us are much more aware of what we are buying and spending so well done to us all :T:T:T:T:T

Wish I could say this but total failure on my part. I have been sorting out my wardrobe and nearly everything that went to the CS came from the CS which means I buy because its cheap/good make etc and not because it suits me. Soooo I got rid of all the stuff I didn't wear but I hit the JL and Deben on-line sales and restocked. I have totally bust the budget for the whole year and more. Now I have to convince myself I am totally happy with what I have to wear and not look for anything else. Think I should have been like Mav and paid for a makeover lady to come and sort the contents of my wardrobe out before I started spending as I am always looking for the perfect outfits and when they are not I just buy more. I am not sure if its an OCD tendency or not but it is expensive.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Ches I do feel for you as that was me a few years back. The lady who helped me sort my wardrobe out was worth the money. But I also did like you and had to fill the gaps left and hit JL and HOF and Debs and had a massive spend up. But that really was the last time I spent any kind of money on clothes. I still have far too many I dont wear all of them.
    When I look back I really dont know where I put them all I have got rid of I reckon 75% .:eek:

So onwards from here make sure you really love everything if not send it back dont let it us sit there any doubts back it goes :D

There is always next year ;)Dont beat yourself up about it just enjoy them

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

• vintagegal
    vintagegal Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't worry Ches, draw a line in the sand and just know that now you have a decent collection of things that you will enjoy wearing. As I've got older I have found that its better for me to have fewer, nicer things. In the past I've bought things for a night out and worn them only that once because they werent really 'right' - those are the things that no matter how cheap they were, were a waste of money.

Better to spend a bit more a bit less often and get something that makes your heart sing. Every time you see it.

And on that subject, I really wanted to buy a new dress today! But I know I don't need it and I can't really afford it. So I am trying to be strong. I also need a new alarm clock because he took his, so maybe that will scratch the shopping itch... Hope I am not replacing clothes shopping with house stuff shopping...
    Fashion on the Ration 2020 - 5/66 spent
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,311 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options
    Just popped on to say I have not spent any money on clothes this month.

Spending for year is still £0.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport