🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Frump to Fab 2016 - Lets make it AWESOME!!!

Options

Comments

• indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    LL thanks for posting the mirror test, I missed that last year somehow - I'm currently failing on grey roots..
    Indie - Sorry you've got a miserable cold. Your new year sounds lovely though and the new man very decent and caring. Keep us all informed!
    Greenbee your exercise plan sounds brilliant, very varied and interesting. I would like to work my way up to a similar level.

Well ladies I made it to the gym. Only did 50 mins of slow cardio but feel better for it. I've become very unfit unsurprisingly...I want to work on this.

Well done for making it out to the gym on such a grey day. I haven't made it even as far as the local shops so ended up ordering pizza, not good. Oh well, I have my Ocado and Abel and Cole deliveries coming tomorrow so I will be back on the straight and narrow tomorrow.

I didn't do the mirror thing last year... definitely worth doing. I wouldn't want to scare myself by doing it today though - pajamas, bathrobe and hair that needs a wash is not a good look.

One mirror test I find quite scary is the sideways on test. Front on I don't look so bad, but sideways you can really see the fat around my middle and how chunky my upper arms are. Definitely makes me look rather middle aged and frumpy, more so than from the front.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,196 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Greenbee your exercise plan sounds brilliant, very varied and interesting. I would like to work my way up to a similar level.

Well ladies I made it to the gym. Only did 50 mins of slow cardio but feel better for it. I've become very unfit unsurprisingly...I want to work on this.
    Well done on going to the gym. I no longer go now I don't commute for work (unless I'm in a hotel with no other options).

I started my current exercise regime when I moved here - signed up for the old ladies' keep fit (I'm the youngest by about 10 years, and 45 years younger than the oldest, which is something to aspire to) partly to meet people. I was very unfit at the time having been having a lot of hospital treatment for the previous 4 years (which was partly the trigger for my move), so thought I'd start gently. My physio then put me in touch with a local pilates teacher, and I started that 4 months later with just one class a week doing just the absolute basics. I added an extra class about 6 months later and suddenly my core kicked in and started working - around this time I started C25k as although I was doing a lot of walking I'd started feeling well enough to do more. Dance started 2 terms ago when one of the ladies at keep fit who teaches dance decided to try setting up a class in the village. Swimming started last term when I realised I have trouble keeping up with my 5 year old nephew and his underwater skills... The running group I joined just before Christmas when I was coming back from a run and bumped into the neighbour who runs it :) So it has built up gradually.
    indiepanda wrote: »
    One mirror test I find quite scary is the sideways on test. Front on I don't look so bad, but sideways you can really see the fat around my middle and how chunky my upper arms are. Definitely makes me look rather middle aged and frumpy, more so than from the front.
    Yep... me too. Swimming and dance have certainly helped with the arms though, so I'm hopeful they will continue to improve. My nephew's 'selfies' (he and my niece were given my old phones for Christmas - she plays games, he takes photos and records himself singing) however, made me realise I should wear makeup at all times and work out how to look good when I'm having my photo taken by a small child rather than a professional...
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 3 January 2016 at 8:16PM
    Options
    The Mirror Test - Part 2.

Or how to lose 7lbs in 30 seconds.

Full length mirror again.

What do you see.......

Slouched body, round shoulders, Tummy sticking out, muffin tops.....

Now..

Stand up straight, shoulders down and back (not up to your ears), pull in that tummy and tuck in your tail.

Standing tall and straight makes you look slimmer, it will take pounds off you, plus of course it's better for your back.

Just as the first mirror test is all about grooming, the second mirror test is all about posture.

Try these two experiments.........

1. Walk down the street In your usual way. Then try walking paying attention to your posture. See if there's any difference in the way people look at you, the way people respond and react to you.

2. Next time you are in a queue take a good look at people around you. What is their posture like. I bet most of them are slouching.

Whenever you get the chance try people watching. Who do you find attractive and why......not just people your own age and not just the opposite sex. We are not looking for suitable dates here, we are just trying to build up a picture of what we consider attractive, so don't limit your people watching.

I think you will find that the people we find most attractive are those who are well groomed and who have good posture.

Work on your grooming and posture and I guarantee that you will reap dividends within just a couple of weeks. You will feel more confident and you will even find that people automatically respond to you more positively. You will soon feel better about yourself, more positive and focussed and I am sure you will find it easier to stick to your healthy eating and exercise plans.

Grooming and posture are the building blocks for the fabulous new you.

I have found that if you work on those first then everything else just seems to fall into place quite naturally and easily.

Yes you will fall off the fabbing wagon from time to time. It doesn't matter, just get back on again.

Remember Paretos Law, more commonly known as the 80/20 rule. Do it right for 80 per cent of time and don't worry about slipping occasionally. As long as it's no more than 20 percent then no real harm will have been done.

Don't torture yourself aiming for perfection. :rotfl:
  • tooties
    tooties Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    Hi fabbers,
    i feel very happy tonight, my darling hubby took me shopping today and i got a whole new wardrobe from new knickers and bras to everything else. For the first time in a number of years i have bought fitted and tailered clothes. He said i deserved it after loosing some weight.
    I am feeling confident enough to get undressed in front of him, i havent let him see me naked for years.
    I cant wait to get my new gear on and strut my stuff.

Going for a soak shortly with a full body fabbing session and hair wash etc.

Keep on fabbing folks

regards
    :j
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Tooties. How wonderful. The bit about feeling the confidence to let your husband see you naked again brought tears to my eyes.

I couldn't be happier for you.

Result........:D:j:D:j
  • Fairy_dust
    Fairy_dust Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    Happy New Year, Ladies!

I have lurked on the previous threads but have decided now is the time to join in! After having 4 (failed) IVFs in 18 months I have gained about a stone in weight and don't like what I see in the mirror. Planning IVF no 5 around April time so my goals to get in shape for then are:

1) Eat more healthily & drink more water
    2) Remember to take my vitamins every day. Without. Fail.
    3) Exercise more, I normally do around 10000 steps a day will try to do more on the exercise bike/give yoga a try.
    4) Take my make up off every night, no matter how tired I am!!

Tooties - How lovely of your Husband to buy you a new wardrobe, I bet you are looking forward to going out next wearing your new clothes :)

Good Luck everyone on your goals, let's hope 2016 is our fabbest yet :T:T xx
    52 Week Challenge £15/£1378
  • Rose_Wood
    Rose_Wood Posts: 867 Forumite
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone,

Lovely to hear how well everyone is doing. I've been out all day as we've been to an Uncle's surprise 90th birthday party.

I haven't overeaten as I woke up feeling very queasy - I think it must have been something I ate. I wasn't sick fortunately, but didn't want to eat much. I managed my starter but then only managed a couple of bites of the next course. I sipped a Slimline Tonic all afternoon so no extra calories there.

Obviously with being out all day and about five hours in a car altogether I haven't achieved my step total for the day, so will have to do extra tomorrow. I'm not at work till five so should have time for a walk at some point, although it is my Mother's birthday so I said I'd take her out for lunch.

I felt quite pleased with my outfit which was a below the knee navy spotted dress with short sleeves, boat neckline and draped skirt. I teamed it with high heeled knee boots, a pearl necklace and silver earrings and watch.

I think I am going to have an early night as last night was quite disturbed, with a few visits to the bathroom (!!!!) and hope to feel better in the morning.

Rose
    Weight Loss Challenge 5/7/19 10st 6lbs
    Target 8st 12lbs

Daily Steps Challenge 16,000
    Average daily steps: January 19,317, February 19,449, March 20,330, April 22,026, May 20,412 June 15,690
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    chanie wrote: »

I'm going to use today for some fabbing before I go back to work. I'm going to use this list so I don't forget what I need to do;
    Face steam
    Face mask
    Body brush
    De fuzz
    Pedicure
    Deep condition hair

I'm pleased to say that I've managed to complete most of my fanning list (bar the defuzzing, as it involves waxing) and I'm ready for work tomorrow.

rosewood I hope you had a nice Xmas.

fairy I hope your next round in April goes well. Your fanning plan sounds good. In terms of taking off your make up, I find it best to do so when you get home, not leave it until before you go to bed.

tooties congratulations on your weight loss. I hope you enjoy wearing your new wardrobe every day.
  • Palindr0mic
    Options
    Today went badly diet and exercise wise (damnit rain!). Managed my 10,000 but only just and I gave up once I was soaked to the skin through my coat :(. Finally looked at myself in the full length mirror in my flat and good lord I have never looked so wide both ways. *sigh* The scales will say the full extent of the damage. It's been bad though, I can tell. I've never felt so unattractive in my life.
    Picking myself up and trying to stay standing
  • mumblingtaff
    mumblingtaff Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a quick one before bed ..... Must remember to take make up off and use night cream and eye gel (have managed the past few days so there's hope!)

Been swimming and did a mile (64 lengths) easily - it's amazing how quickly your fitness comes back once you start isn't it? Also walked the dog twice so all in all 600odd calls burned today.

Miraculously I have lost 1lb this week :) - must be the exercise because it's certainly not the food (no effort to be good has been made, using up leftovers and drinking copious amounts of wine).

Back to work tomorrow - it's an inset day so nice jeans (just ironed), a cream vest top and a tan and cream blazer jacket thing with new heels.
    Will do hair and makeup and hopefully spend a bit longer than usual on the blow dry.
    Night all xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family