PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• 3forholidays
    Options
    GQ Sorry to read of such sad news. Clearing a home is difficult, particularly when it needs to be done at short notice. Hoping that you & the family manage to get things sorted. :grouphug:
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 : SPC 11 - £975 : SPC 12 - £845 : SPC 13 - £700
  • Icey77
    Icey77 Posts: 1,247 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    GQ, sorry to hear your sad news. I hope when the time comes for your Nan it is gentle and peaceful xxx
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford
  • hebwood
    Options
    GQ - so sorry to hear about your Nan. Be gentle with yourself. Virtual Hugs.

H
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    GQ does your employer have a compassionate leave policy? You may be entitled to a bit more time off than you would need just for the funeral.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    Afternoon all
    Gentle and supporting hugs for GQ and family.
    Hugs for anyone else who needs them.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • GoingToDoIt
    Options
    Hi GQ, sorry to hear about your Nan. I wish her all the best.
    I second maryb, as you work at a Council I'm sure they will allow some days compassionate leave for funeral and other arrangements, which is paid.
    There's also the unattractive option of unpaid leave.
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
    Jan 20 0%cc debt 7700/7700
  • WeeMidgie
    Options
    Thinking of you and your family, GQ. I hope your council gives compassionate leave for such a close family member.

Sending supportive vibes xx
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Thank you all for your compassion, you are a lovely bunch of people. Truly stellar.

I will make enquiries of my employer nearer the time. I do know that I couldn't get a day off on compassionate grounds to attend the funeral of my uncle a couple of years ago, as uncles are not apparently close enough kin. I was allowed to flex off, accuring a flex debit that took 6 months to earn back.

The executors are my Dad and my Aunt. Aunt lives on the same street as Nan so is keeping an eye on the place. The alarm line has been taken out already and arrangements made for getting the unit back. The original Will is with a solicitor but the copy is at home and Aunt has seen it.

Nan has been pretty good about decluttering over the years, making arrangements for things like moped and bicycle to be rehomed as she felt she was no longer able to use them safely. Other than that, it is very much a Nana's bungalow, lots of pictures of the family, handicrafts made by grandkids and great-grandkids etc.

I suspect there will be tears, and laughter, during the clearance process, as well as lots of tiredness.

:o I do know one of the nutty things we'll find, as it came to light in a tidy of the undersink wine rack a couple of years ago; a bottle of port (unopened) from Aunt and Uncle's wedding reception in the early 1960s.:rotfl:And we have no idea why it was kept.

Oh, and can anyone think of what the flip to do with a very old concrete lined rusty garden roller? Weighs a lot.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your loss GQ. Condolences to you and your family.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GQ to quote HM the queen
    "grief is the price we pay for love"
    but we wouldn't have it any other way.
    Hope you find loads of happy memories recovered when you clear her home. At least you have loads of rellies to help and to laugh and cry with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure