PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :T Wow, Thistle-down, what a transformation.

Aren't those great snarls of Misc absolute burgers to deal with, tho? You stand there looking at them wondering where to start. The only place it with the first item, then you get there in the end.

Inspired by oceanspirit, I went to my allotment late today, felt a bit too weary for more digging but decided to sort out the shed. It's got in a proper state due to being busy just gardening, and being guilty of stuffing things into the nearest bit of shed I could reach.

I needed to find the bits & bobs for the burn bag, a paper potato sack into which I am saving things like bits of rotten wood (once dried), old stalks, random bits of card and paper and the dried pods from the broad beans. The last of those is allowed to dry out each year, the pods are harvested and the beans dried for seed, and the haulms (that's stalks, to non-gardeners btw) are bundled and racked to dry.

The bonfire ban comes off on 1st October, which is most considerately falling on a Saturday this year. If it's dry and not too windy, I intend to be releasing my inner pyromaniac.

:o I am also taking advantage of having my larder in a crate and am eating some things which have been hanging around a bit, tin and packet-wise. About 80% of my meals are fresh foods but I do use some of this kind of thing. Won't restock until the cupboards on the wall-o-not-quite-as-damp are back in service.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 23 September 2016 at 8:45AM
    Options
    Today's Kondo offerings:

* 4 items sold via ebay (to 1 buyer) packaged and sent off :D
    * Small carpet remnant binned
    * Bag of biscuit wrappers taken for recycling (see terracycle.co.uk for a place near you! :))
    * About 30 assorted ceiling lights (those small round ones) recycled
    * 5 new airline toothbrushes - foodbank
    * 1 new in-car 12v kettle(?!) - donated as tombola prize :D
    * Tester pot of paint - used tester up on DS1's walls (was same colour) - binned pot
    * swimming costume and 3 holey socks to textile recycling bag

Also 3 more items priced for NNS and a bag of items for fleabay brought into the house from the garage ready to list - hopefully these items will be leaving sooner rather than later.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Serendipitious
    Options
    Well done Thistledown. It looks brilliant now.

Congrats on the house, Oceanspirit, and well done on the job Mrs MP.

Hugs for Siebrie. Like Mrs MP, I wondered if there was an ulterior motive in your OH buying badly fitting items.

Well today I have Bought Something.
    2 new cushions from c/shop, Laura Ashley covers, £1 each. They kindly deducted it from my credit note. The 2 old cushions they have replaced are waiting to go to their new home, and their 2 old covers will go for rags, they were cream and inevitably have yellowed over the decade or so I've had them.

So 2 in, 2 out = 0 effect on the clutter situation, which is as good as a win.

Been a lovely day here, hope the sun has been shining for everyone.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Wednesday2000
    Options
    I've done very well today. I rearranged some stuff and managed to free up a piece of furniture to be donated/gifted/chucked. It looks even more spacious in the spare room now and it will much easier to vacuum.:T

I also got rid of various other things, a very good day.:A
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, there was an ulterior motive, which I am plssed about. I don't mind helping his relatives, we have helped seven through primary school, three through secondary school, two through advanced training, have three set up in a small business. I just don't see his need to hide his purchases.

Anyway, we are of for a weekend in the Ardennes, as dh has won a weekend in a hut on a campsite on groupon (he has several good sides, too), and the weather is going to be nice!
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Mrs_VP
    Mrs_VP Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Whistle your dining room looks great.

Boss still on leave so still working silly hours and not getting any Kondoing done. However eldest DD has made a great job of her bedroom and OH is ploughing through the paperwork.

This weekend will be spent moving eldest DD back to Uni, making more chutney with the apples I have been given and making cakes for two Macmillan coffee m I earnings one on Monday and one on Tuesday. I will try to fit some Kondoing in as well.

Keep up the good work everyone.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got rid of several large cardboard boxes into recycling bin and did a bit of tidying in the integral garage. I assembled the second floor lamp but need a dd to help me with the tiny bulbs.

DD arrives back from Portugal tonight as she left her car here a few days ago. DD and sil are giving her a lift from the airport and should arrive after ten tonight.

If I get a chance in the next few days I want to do some more sorting out in the garage. Once tidied it should be a lot easier to move around and find things. Tripping over rucked up carpet and bits of wood is not helpful.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh, less Stuff, more Fun - I love it!!!

everyone is so busy and it's exciting :D new jobs, courses, houses, new-look dining room, and plenty of Stuff going for release :eek:

Siebrie, hope things calm down at work. I was in an office where we were put 'at risk of redundancy' 3 times in 4 years. Each time it dragged on and on but eventually there were enough volunteers (I finally took the plunge in March!, but I have no dependents and no mortgage).
    It was so unsettling, not to mention worrying for those desperate to keep their jobs. Sending a virtual hug if that will help (((o))).

I have to report a significant development at my house - drumroll -
    DH offered to put the washing away, a batch of towels. I went upstairs later and found they were all kondo rolled and colour co-ordinated :eek::eek:

Right, off to chow down on HM low carb lasagne. Got to get the weight loss going again, have stalled this fortnight.

Enjoy Friday Everyone,

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MMF007 wrote: »

I have to report a significant development at my house - drumroll -
    DH offered to put the washing away, a batch of towels. I went upstairs later and found they were all kondo rolled and colour co-ordinated :eek:
    :D OMG, that's amazing. Did you check it was your actual DH not a dead ringer? Even I don't colour co-ordinate my towels. Well, they're stacked like logs on a shelf and no two are the same colour anyway.

Actually, there are two of a similar hue of blue, plus a royal blue and white one with GARY woven into the stripe down the middle. GARY is 'resting' at the moment, like an actor who isn't too successful.

I was changing a pillowslip at the parental home last weekend and asked Mum who

was - some bloke's name, never heard of him, but one of his name tapes was sewn into the pillowslip. Mum didn't know either, must've been another secondhand purchase.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Didn't expect to make any inroads today but large empty bath foam bottle and an empty pot of face cream gone into recycling. I'd decanted the remainder of the cream into a small plastic pump bottle so will be used up. Oh and 8 leaflets and 2 newspapers gone to recycle too.
    Have a good evening all
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport