PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dill wrote: »
    Do you follow the same order that she suggests, (clothing first, then books, etc etc) or do you make your own categories and decide for yourself which order to do them in?
    Yes follow that order. Clothes are easiest to do just make sure you hold each one and you will feel if it is right to keep it.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I would have a caveat about clothes, if you are presently like myself and a few others who are also decluttering excess weight.

I have a number of clothes I cannot presently fit into. They are fewer than didn't fit a few months ago, but there are still some there which require about 2 stone less of me to be feasible.

It isn't presently joyous to know that my previous self-indulgence means that I can't get into some things. If you are in a similar position, and weight loss is feasible/ something you want to do, you might like to follow my tactic.

I have several clothes on reversed hangers, with a cardboard tag on them saying when they were last tried on, and whether they nearly fitted, or were much too small. Every three months or so, I will try them on again, to see if they can come back into service.

Likewise, I have been able to donate some larger size clothes as I shrank down out of them. Oh, the deep joy of finding the trousers I couldn't previously get into are now dragging their hems on the floor because they are actually TOO BIG NOW.:rotfl:

When I can get into all my clothes, I intend to have a good hard think about what I want to keep, in terms of work apparel, casual clothes, the occasional item of formal wear (pretty informal life here). I feel if I chucked a whole load of clothes out right now, I'd be screwing up that process and badly out of pocket.

Just my two'pennorth, anyway.:o
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    I'd say yes do the order as advised in the book, there are times when something will leap out at you before its allotted time, and some categories require a few sweeps as the previous sweeps missed items that you later realise are not actually joyful after all.
    Paper keeps pulling me back and clothes got revisited when we recently decorated and recarpeted our bedroom.

I'm probably on my 4th sweep through. It does get easier to let go of stuff as space appears.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dill, the order MK suggests is pretty much the best way of doing it. The categories start with èàsy one where is far less sentimental attachment, and working to most sentimental (photos ). Like GQ says though you may adapt how you deal with things. I have done the same with clothes but my 'will fit soon / will fit in a few months ' are in specific drawers.

Lots of folk seem to struggle with docs n paperwork whereas I found that easy! I struggled with clothes - a reflection of my mental struggle with the weight!

Note for Dill and Speky, MK says to do the whòle lot in a big splurge. She wrote the book when she was very young which meant she had not accumulated nearly as much as some of us! :rotfl:

Many of us have revisted categories because we get better at releasing things!

Good luck!

I now have a deadline for the messy shelf, and a corner of the study/craft room/dressing room AKA the back bedroom! :) Electrician needs to lift floorboards! We have a lot to move into very limited space! I shall kondo Stuff on shelf then deal with rest of room, including moving a fixed 'kitchen -unit' style run of 3 cupboards. .. Should keep me busy for a while but may not keep me sane!

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    MMF007 wrote: »

Note for Dill and Speky, MK says to do the whòle lot in a big splurge. She wrote the book when she was very young which meant she had not accumulated nearly as much as some of us! :rotfl:
    :) Yeah, there is a bit of a difference between a twenty-something's declutterings and that of a person whose household has been accumulating for many decades and may contain inherited things and things belonging to adult offspring. It simply takes a lot longer and we kondo-ites may have also accumulated a lot more personal issues which effect our decision-making process.:rotfl:

On a sadder note, my family are in process of paying last visits and last respects to our beloved Nan, who is in hospital, slipping gently away from her siblings, children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, neices and nephews, great-neices and great-nephews, not to mention the friends of a lifetime from her village.

Apart from the sorrow - and she is the last surviving grandparent for us four grandkids - there are logistical things already being discussed. When it was obvious that she wouldn't be coming home, certain things were done; carers contract cancelled, key removed from keysafe outside, milkman cancelled etc.

There have been discussions about what to do about her belongings as the bungalow will have to be emptied in a timely manner as it is council-rented and will have to go back to the landlord.

This isn't a hoarded home, it is a clean, neat and sanitary home, with a completely empty loft. But it has been a home for 51 years (and there were previous family homes which were consolidated into this one) and it will be a piece of work to get everything out of there, to get things back to places like the hospital (borrowed equipment), to get things like appliances and furniture to relations who may need/ want them, to make sure keepsakes like the war medals are with people who want to look after them.

I will be actively involved in this process, as much as I can be whilst living 40+ miles away, working a job and unfortunately having just used up the last of this year's annual leave.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,970 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 24 September 2016 at 7:52AM
    Options
    Oh GQ, I am so sorry about your nan. Deepest condolences.

We went to the funeral of my 91 year old Aunt yesterday. She was mum's oldest sister and, with one thing and another (mainly juggling my none too well father, an elderly mother in law, and two children) I haven't seen her for many years. She could be a difficult (and occasionally nasty) character who frequently fell out with her siblings and her mother (my nan). it's fair to say that i didn't overly recognise the "What M will be remembered for is her kindness" part of the eulogy - not saying that she didn't have her moments, but that probably isn't what i'd remember her for! Also, she'd gained a husband and lost him again since i last saw her and that i didn't even know about (didn't recognise her surname!), and in the eulogy they conveniently forgot about her second husband (out of 4 - apparently ;) all of whom died, some feat no?) that no-one liked.

My brother and her brother and i walked out saying "well that wasn't the M I remember" :rotfl: It is sad she's gone. There's only 3 left now, out of 8. She was very kind to my mum when she was ill.

On a more positive note, it was lovely to see members of my family again, whom i haven't seen for some time. We are a family prone to falling out and not speaking. Another aunt kind of held us all together and, when she died, we have not been so good at it. We have made our peace and vowed to have a get together for a more positive reason. it's difficult for me to orchestrate such a thing as i live a long way away, but I shall keep nagging and offering financial and practical assistance for those who can.

On another, more relevant, note. I couldn't find my black cardi when i was dressing to leave the house at 6.30 yesterday. i think i must have left it behind when i stayed away from home. I put on a cardi that i love to look at but never feels right. So, snap decision on the train, went into Mons00n at St pancras where they were selling off black cardies for £15 each - from £35. It looked much better than the one i was wearing, so that one's going to be kondoed. i can't keep something (clothing wise) just cos i love to look at it....
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :( Thanks, VJsMum.

It's a sad time, but not unexpected for a lady of 93. Her quality of life has been very poor since she had her stroke and she has cancer and, to voice an over-used cliche, it will be a blessed release. She is calm, and sleepy, and being well-cared for, and we have time to visit and say goodbye.

It brings home the importance not going into your later years with your home stuffed with Stuff. Even with a modest home (hers is a two-bed bungalow), there will be a lot of work to do.

The 'children' are in their mid-seventies, us 'grand-children' are late forties to mid-fifties. Everybody has some health problem, or works or both. I've just discovered from discussion with my Dad that he no longer feels competant to drive a van, which will be needed as part of the process. He's fine with their car, but not a big van. Mum cannot drive now due to Parkinson's. My disabled brother can only drive automatics.

I'm good with big vans, my life experience has included driving a double-decker bus and many many vans, but will be back at work on Monday. We're planning logistics at this stage, thinking about how we will be able to do this between us, who might want the lightly-used appliances. We're not a well-off family and family will have first dibs before charitable donation.

Ahh, life is complicated, isn't it? To love someone is to grieve for their loss.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Sorry to read about Nan.xx:(
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :( Thank you.

As I sit here, eating my breakfast salad and planning my day, weeping a bit, as I have been on and off for days, the enormity of it sinks in.

The loss, the funeral, the offical things which have to be done.

Then, all the little things. The lampshades and potted plants. The carpets and the rugs.Wardrobes and dressing tables, beds and mattresses, photos and knick-knacks, a fridge-freezer, a washer, a cooker. Toaster and tea kettle, saucepans and cutlery. Garden tools and misc. The food in the freezer...........
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 September 2016 at 10:27AM
    Options
    GQ
    Jedi Hugs.

My ex is still going through something similar with his parents house (should there be an apostrophe there? It doesn't look right with or without)
    The 15 tins of carrot and coriander soup
    The 3 sewing boxes
    the 4 unused tea sets given as wedding presents
    I wonder if the Lloyd Loom clothes hamper has been emptied of the baskets from flower arrangements?? :(

The entire garage full of wood (yes, the car and van were always on the drive...) and the woodworking machinery is being sorted by a friend of a friend and an auctioneer has been called in for some of the china etc. But he at least has the luxury of time.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport