PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well the moving of contents of back bedroom is going well. As I had prev weeded it on Kondo mission there was not as much Stuff as I feared (still lots though! :eek:).

Agreed an action plan with DH - he stayed out of the way and I dealt with it all and the temp relocation to lounge and kitchen!! He has no spatial awareness and is banned from packing suitcases or car boots!

I found a roll of wallpaper that was bought a good while ago in a sale, for the landing. I had forgotten it was tucked beside a tall cupboard and had bought another roll for the job. Doh. Anyway one of them will be kept for when it needs re-doing :) in 2 or 3 years time.

A good vacuum commenced, some kondo-ing (a couple more things for SIL's carboot, some recycling, and a tabletop easel given to a friend), and a feeling of relief that the job is more than half done. Am not completing the excavation until just before the electrician comes, otherwise we'll be climbing over things all week! Am busy with paid work for 3 days but would like to kondo the rest of the Stuff as I move it out, then it can stay out! There probably isn't much to go but I am going to test the joy and release as much as I can!

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    OH has been sorting paperwork in the office and has released an archive box full of paper for recycling. Several DVRs have been shredded as they are nlr. Lots of A4 and lever arch files have been emptied - 4 good ones have been kept and the ones which are broken/ misshapen etc have been binned. He still has masses more to do, but it's a good start! :)

I priced up lots of Bob the Builder toys for the NNS in 3 weeks. I tried to list some more bits on fleabay but it's playing up and won't let me :(:(

Found a jar of cherries in kirsch which I bought last Xmas and never touched. It's still in date for another 2 years so I am donating it as a tombola prize :)#

Processed one carrier bag of apples for the freezer (used a few in a crumble for pudding today) but still have 3 more carriers to do!

x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 26 September 2016 at 7:43AM
    Options
    :) Morning all, gotta be relatively brief as have to breakfast, pack up and get booted and suited for a workday.

Well, yesterday was exhausting but I feel that it was the right thing to do. Nan is fading fast, but lucid, and I was able to tell her how I loved her, and she was able to say likewise. I had my brother with me, so we could both say our last goodbyes.

It's a very sad time, I'm OK for a while, then have a little cry, then get on with some stuff, then am suddenly overwhelmed with grief.

Not looking forward to my work, although I normally enjoy my job as a customer services peep, as am feeling emotionally fragile atm and hope no customer is beastly to me today. However, I will just have to woman-up, I am a mature woman not a young child.

Took the opportunity of unexpected visit to the family home to bring back a couple of bags of things which I prepared for removal last time but which were beyond my carrying capacity on public transport. That will be a bit of freegling and charity-shopping in the next week or so, when I feel minded to do it.

:o Plus some more yarn for my WIP rug, which has been neglected in the past week, alas.

OK, gotta get moving, catch you laters. GQ xx
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Morning all
    GQ I hope your day goes as well as it can do and no one upsets you. and I am so sorry to hear about your Nan.We are all thinking of you and your family at this time :(

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

• oceanspirit
    Options
    GQ, glad visit went well. Hugs for getting through the working day.

Kondoing not going well here as there are so many other things needing to be done with my limited energy. Feeling tired and very sore and have a busy day ahead - just want to hide under the duvet instead :p.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Take care of yourself, oceanspirit. I'm returning to work after two weeks' annual leave. There will be a tonne of emails to read between taking calls, which come in at 5 second intervals.

Mondays are alwaystotally manic, anyway, and I'm not going to be catching up on everything today, will just have to do a few things each day and catch up.

Have a good day, everyone, see you tonight.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    have a filthy cold (either caught from a colleague while travelling, or on the plane) and would really like to hibernate, but the electrician is due shortly to start work on sorting out the new heating controls. Once he is here and occupied I plan to head off to the pharmacy and buy some more decongestants. I have lots of non-drowsy ones, but I'd like some that will send me to sleep at night...

I should also sort out the replacement for the ice-maker (have to get round to doing the return), do a CS drop-off and possibly go to Ikea. I need houseplants to help with decontaminating the house post-builders (should have done this weeks ago) to absorb the solvents/VOCs from paint/sealant/glue/varnish/MDF. I'm also considering buying a free-standing kitchen unit as it will give me more worksurface at a sensible height, and be useable even when I do the kitchen properly. Sadly their current freestanding range isn't as good as it used to be, but there is no point in me attempting to put a fitted kitchen in, and anywhere else is expensive!

Hope your day goes OK GQ. I'm glad you made the decision to visit your Nan yesterday.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning everyone,

I finally started my first ever Marie Kondo clean out!!!

I had the audio book on in the background along with the pinterest board and the print of checklist from this thread. Armed with bin bags, a hoover, polish and a duster I put every item of clothing on the floor. I couldn't believe how much clothing I had! What astounded me more was that by the time I had finished, the amount of clothes I had that I didn't need or use.

- 3 x suits which I had a teenager
    - 4 x ties of companies I used to work for
    - 7 x belts
    - 2 x bags
    - endless odd socks
    - all of my 'lougewear'
    - 4 x scarfs
    - 3 x hats
    - 3 x jackets
    - 6 x jumpers
    -10 + x t-shirts
    - 3 x casual shirts
    - 2 x work shirts
    - 8 x pairs of shoes

I essentially ran out of time and only managed my clothes. I really enjoyed it though and picking my clothes this morning was easy and enjoyable.

As I was putting my clothes away I tried to fold them in the way she describes but I just couldn't get the hang of it. I'll maybe try again once I've completed all the other areas.

I'll finish my other areas on Wednesday as I think that's when I'll have some time to myself again.
  • WeeMidgie
    Options
    Hugs to you, GQ xxx
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Glad your visit went well, GQ.

SpekySquarehead don't worry that you 'only' did clothes, some of us only did one type of clothing on the first foray. While MK suggests you should do the whole thing in one hit, I can only assume that Japanese homes are smaller than ours - a few people on here (Mavvymoo!) have done it in days but I think it took me six or seven months to go through everything. I'm an imperfect Kondoite, there is still work to do but my goodness life is simpler now.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure