PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    . . .
    I have quite a lot of furniture to get rid of and the thought of ebay keeps crossing my mind, but it seems such a hassle that I was going to just call a housing charity and get them to take it all. BUT then I thought, I don't want to get rid of it all for a few weeks, perhaps I could stick it on ebay til then and if it sells that's a bonus?

I'd try eBay if I knew how to go about it!

I hope the furniture is current style otherwise the housing charity may well not take it.

When my parents died (within short space of time of each other), the Salvation Army collected most of their furniture (including wardrobes from the 1930s still with the keys 50+ years later). That was in the West Midlands.

The same year, in Greater London, I was replacing some things (from, I suppose, the 1930s to 1950s and which I had acquired second hand). When they arrived to collect it, it was rejected by the local housing charity on the grounds it was too old-fashioned so no poor person would want it for free even if they had nothing. However they did kindly offer to take it away for us for a charge. (I arranged my own disposal as the furniture had been described to them before they turned out to collect it.)
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    Maddie -ALL my cats have come caravanning with us and none of them have ever needed a harness or lead. Even one we'd only had for two weeks before we went away! The older ones soon recognise the smell of home and where their food is. Current puss is a Prima Donna so her litter tray was kept under the 'van.

That is lovely, the reason for my caution is that another couple we camped with always took their lovely ginger cat and she regularly used to go AWOL on a Sunday before they were due to go home. On one occasion they went back to the site 3 times before she deigned to come and see them and agree to go home. They lived towards the edge of a big city and I think that she just wanted to be a country cat for a while. The place that she stayed out the longest was rather a scruffy farm, absolutely crawling (well running) with mice, I think that she must have had a wonderful time:rotfl:
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • allybee101
    allybee101 Posts: 736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tete en l'Air,
    Do give Ebay a go. If you have the time I recommend looking at the help pages of eBay, they explain how to list items and how the fees work.
    The process of listing an item is quite straightforward and it gives you helpful prompts as you work through the page, including working out what category would be best for your item.

Take photos of the item in good lighting.
    Include measurements in the description
    Give an honest overview of the condition of the piece.
    For furniture you can state collection only so no calculating postage fees which is a headache.
    Keep an eye on your eBay account for emails coming in with questions. Despite including the dimensions in one of my sales I still got a question about the size :cool:.

Once you have photos and they're uploaded to your computer the rest is quite quick.
    Try it with one item and see how you get on.
    "Does it spark joy?" - Marie Kondo

"Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." Napoleon Hill
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Our youngest son and his girlfriend got a huge rescue male cat that's about 6-7 yrs old. At the initial vet visit they were told the cat needed to go on a diet. They carefully followed his instructions for feeding and at the next visit the cat was even heavier. The vet was not happy and did not believe they were following his instructions so gave them a lecture. About two weeks after the visit, a neighbor from down the street came to see them. Evidently their tom cat was visiting the neighbor cat's food bowl regularly through the cap flap in the kitchen door. He had talked to another neighbor who was having the same problem with Mr Tom cat. My son said there was no telling how many meals he was eating in one day. :rotfl: They could not wait to tell the vet after he scolded them for being bad kitty parents. :D
    That cat was helping the neighbors Kondo cat food. :p

GQ. We have white sales twice a year in Jan and July when everyone stocks up on sheets and towels. And oldest daughter found a camouflage color full size refrigerator last month in Albuquerque. :eek:
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Lol about the cat, mila. There is a popular Brit child's picture story book called Six Dinner Sid. Sid is a cat who 'belongs' to six different households, all under a different name, and he gets fed in six different places. He isn't rumbled until he gets ill and the vet works it out.

I've read it to little ones a few times and thought to myself that there's an author who knows his moggies, as I've encountered a few Sids IRL, the scheming little so-and-so's.

Finished a book yesterday and found another book I'd finished a week or so ago, and put somewhere random, so they're both in the chazzer donation bag ready to leave. Started on another book which I bought yesterday for £1 and then that can join them. I read a mixture of fiction and non-fiction and some of my fave authors like C.J.Box have a scanty presence in the public library service. I'd donate these but they don't want anything more than three years old.:(

:o Still haven't sorted out the rug-making supplies (the WIP from Mum's loft) but am busy to and fro the allotment, will head up there for a while after work. Due to health issues, I can't do very much on any one visit, so have to piece it out.

Have a great day, folks. GQ xx
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all, I hope everyone is well.
    Kondoed a dew bits last week, and did half the ironing pile. Think I'm busy most of this week then it's the summer hols so no work for 7 weeks, I think I'm going back on to just lunchtime supervisors hours after the hol BUT if I can get on my classroom assistants course I'll be doing quite a bit of volunteering at school as part of the course so no money but very busy.
    Finalised the new bathroom, been told access will be needed in the attic and space needed all around the water tanks and above the bathroom area so nice excuse to go up again. The skip they are brining will be left until it's full so we get dibs on the space after the suite has been put in.

Better shift ds2 needs chivvying along for his bus he's on another residential this week. Ds1s jury stint finished on Thursday he has to ring tonight to see if he's needed again tomorrow and for the rest of the week.

Have a joyful day all.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    GQ & Mila I have Ds2's copy of Six Dinner Sid in my attic, it's a great book :) I've always had rescue cats, the previous one was a big fat softie called Stanley as an homage to the book Flat Stanley :D Current feline boss is a petite petty tortie called Whisky, who is so laid back she's horizontal!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Loving the cat tales (geddit) we've had a beautiful white long haired puss visiting my cat's food tray so the cat flap has been locked on the inside. My puss has discovered how to open the flap outwards so she can get back in - always knew she wasn't as dumb as she made out.
    Kondoed a 50's style leather handbag on the bay of E last night so that's another small thing going. Going to have another blitz on the paperwork too :(
    Managed to Kondo 4 cucumbers to friends yesterday. I've only got two plants and they're like triffids this year!!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Revisited the airing cupboard yesterday:

Before MK we didn't have enough towels. Some how kondo'ing half of them turned into more than enough. Still trying explain that to others!

I had another look at the bath & pedestal mats - two will be used and binned and the never-joyful mat will go to CS as it has never been used.

I'm still rolling the towels, they look so nice end on. Spare soap and the rolled flannels go into a little basket. Plenty of space to see where everything is. Job done.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all

I haven't posted for a long time but need to get back on board as we still have a house overflowing with stuff and Christmas/DS's birthday are on the horizon!

So this week I have taken three bags to the charity shop and one to the tip, as well as boxing up over 100 CDs for Music Magpie and listing lots of things on my local selling pages and Eb4y. Still so much STUFF everywhere though. I need some time off work to just crack on with it but have actually taken on more hours recently so I just have no time to sort it all out. I will keep on with it though.

Good luck all x
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £2827 | Natwest Credit Card: £3362.96
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure