PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I thought white goods were the sheets etc that would fit the spare bed. :p
    We call white goods >>>appliances. GQ you inadvertently explained the difference. :D

Mav, I love the kitty updates!
    :) Yeah, white goods is a generic Brit term for fridges, freezers, washing machines and even cookers. Nearly all of them are actually white. There was a fashion for stainless steel appliances (at a premium price) and my parents actually have a stonking great silvery-grey plastic fridge-freezer which Dad christened The Dreadnought.

You can get fridges and fridge-freezers in colours, particularly one brand, but at a price. I even saw a Union Jack coloured one in J0hn Lewis once.

:o Ahh, was going to say watch out for some plastics, ivyleaf, as not all suitable, but others beat me to it. Lots of the photo albums have cellophane over the pictures not plastic. I have known soft plastics like PVC to adhere to the surface of photos and transfers some of the print to the plastic.

I have one large photo album, trad style with cardboard pages and those little corner thingummies to hold the print on the page, which I reserve for larger pictures.

Am limbering up for the day with my second pint of tea, and letting the day dry out a little, before heading up to the allotment. Getting jungly out there but at least no water parsnips involved.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Loving the kitty updates. Mavvy! Good on you for looking after them all.

I'm with Sweetpea and Silvasava - I decided about fifteen years ago that I would never have a kitten again - they are so cute but a lot of work and the older cats are harder to rehome. I've had two adult rehomers and they have been so rewarding and I haven't had to worry so much about them. Although they do still scratch the furniture! The current incumbent has been hugely rewarding as she's slowly transformed from a hissing spitball (nicknamed Slasher!) to a real lapcat. I'd like to have two but she doesn't like to share :rotfl:
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Morning all :D
    A quick update. Lola and Kits all eating from the bowl placed in the dog cage :) So at least they are getting used to it and hopefully will be able to pull the rope and shut some in at some point next week and get the first batch off to the vets :D I looks easy but doubt it will be.:rotfl:

Lolly is eating so is getting the antobiotics in to her even though she tries to eat round the powder as she hates it ;) Even if I spend 10 mins mixing it in.

I have just seen Lola dragging a full size rabbit up the drive it was bigger than she is but she was not dropping it . Thats the kits fed for at least 10 mins :rotfl:

So here at 'Animal' farm all is as normal :D

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

• allybee101
    allybee101 Posts: 736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I haven't posted much for a while but I've tried keeping up with the thread. It's hard work, you are all so busy! It's very inspirational though. I have let things slip here and the homestead is a bit of a state at the moment.
    However this weekend has been an improvement. Second lot of washing in the machine. I've actually listed some furniture on the 'Bay and it's got some watchers already. This furniture has been in the room of doom for nigh on 2 years. There's some more stuff to list so I'm going to wade in there to snap it and get it listed today.

I've found some more stuff in my kitchen that can be kondoed. I think it was last year that I did a packing party on my kitchen (a la The Minimalists). I didn't actually pack it into boxes, I put it all on the dining table and only put back what I needed. Having found two sets of items to let go of, I'm contemplating doing it again. Hmm. I might wait til I've tackled some more of the room of doom before I start pulling the kitchen apart!

Right, a bit more browsing and then I need to crack on.
    Hope you're all having a great weekend.
    "Does it spark joy?" - Marie Kondo

"Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." Napoleon Hill
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kondoing been very slow here, mainly due to fatigue, but managed a bag of clothes and a couple of books to the CS last week and will try for another this week.

Today I have had a session going though the cupboard of doom in the sideboard, it contains up to 5 years of statements and general stuff that I thought I wanted to keep. Managed about 3 hours with breaks, but my wrists and hands have given up on me and I dare not put any more shredded paper in the green bin:eek: I think I can feed a few lots into the compost daleks, which have been totally neglected since I have been ill.

I needed to find the paperwork in respect of my phone contract, it was pretty much where I thought, so hopefully will get a new phone tomorrow, before the battery on my present one totally dies.

I am going to try and stick to MK rules and keep going with the paperwork until it is totally finished, the bedroom and the room of doom are important, but will just have to wait in line, apart from a little tidying here and there.

I really need a mug of tea, but cannot tear myself away from the tennis at the moment:D

Mavvy, you are doing a wonderful job in respect of Lolly, Lola and the kits, I do hope that you are able to catch them, their little lives will be so much better if they are not producing kittens all the time.

Loving the older cat adoption stories, no cats here as for 30 years we lived next to quite a busy road and a wonderful gardener (opened garden for charity) and I could never have inflicted a cat on her. Now we live in a really good location, but spend too much time away in our caravan. When we no longer have dear dog we may do as a friend did and adopt quite a docile older cat and train it to the lead, her cat really seemed to love their caravan jaunts.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) A dear lady I know makes a point of adopting older cats, as in about 12-13 years old. Because no one wants them.

The sadness is that you won't have so many years with them as you would with a younger pet, but both the elderlies she has had have been totally lovely, and lived in good health for several years each.

I'd say to anyone in a position to adopt a cat, please think of the older animals. They're steady and kind and will love you to pieces.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    maddiemay wrote: »
    Kondoing been very slow here, mainly due to fatigue, but managed a bag of clothes and a couple of books to the CS last week and will try for another this week.
    Sorry you've not been well, Maddie - it would be lovely to work through each category and finish it completely, which MK recommends, as you say, but in first managing the overload, it feels like a question of "get the worst out of the way :o - a.k.a. the stuff that died in storage :o I've been putting a *lot* from around the house into the office, which is now getting a bit overcrowded as the crowding elsewhere eases ... it's *really* not nice in there right now, I may have to stop everything else and pay attention there.
    I really need a mug of tea, but cannot tear myself away from the tennis at the moment:D
    :j :D
    Mavvy, you are doing a wonderful job in respect of Lolly, Lola and the kits, I do hope that you are able to catch them, their little lives will be so much better if they are not producing kittens all the time.
    So true! A couple of times I've had a young, overworked mother cat from my neighbourhood take refuge in my garden for a while - it's a bit overgrown, no pesticides, no screaming kids - they like it, I must say :)
    Loving the older cat adoption stories, no cats here as for 30 years we lived next to quite a busy road and a wonderful gardener (opened garden for charity) and I could never have inflicted a cat on her. Now we live in a really good location, but spend too much time away in our caravan. When we no longer have dear dog we may do as a friend did and adopt quite a docile older cat and train it to the lead, her cat really seemed to love their caravan jaunts.
    Between my health now, and my hopes for travel when I'm well again after I retire, I'm not having cats again. But my young nephew who just got married has two elderly rescue cats, and I'm going to practice cat sitting when he goes away on his next big holiday :j cats are definitely housebound, as its pretty central London.
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Sweetpea69
    Sweetpea69 Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Afternoon All!

I've been watching the tennis all afternoon, so any garden Kondo-ing planned has gone by the board! Hopefully it will get done tomorrow. The grass got a haircut on Thursday, it was like a meadow after two weeks of sunshine and showers!

My last cat, many years ago, arrived as a very stroppy kitten which ruled the roost and kept the dogs under his claw. I feel that having an older rescue cat will be the best option for both of us! I'm moving to a village a couple of miles from my family so if I do need to be away for a couple of days the cat will be fed and made a fuss of by my granddaughter.

I had hoped that my seller would want me to buy their white goods but when I was at the property last week the washing machine and fridge-freezer had gone. So I'll need to buy both and arrange delivery once I have a date for the move. I seem to be spending a lot at the moment but will get back on OS track once I'm settled.

Off to my friend for supper, have a lovely evening!

Sweetpea 69 x
    Note to self: I'm a human being, not a human doing! 😊
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,182 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've had my brother's kids for the afternoon (dining room is now full of glitter) while my SIL started clearing their old flat (DB is at work). They've had tenants in it for the last three years. For three years before that my SIL's father lived in it until he died.

When they moved out they left lots of stuff in the attic. When SIL's dad died they cleared the flat for tenants but not the attic. The tenants moved out this afternoon and the buyers are inspecting tomorrow before exchanging and completing in the same day.

Do NOT do this. There was probably more stuff in the attic than they had in the flat. She was completely overwhelmed and had only got about half the stuff out. I managed to get her to identify a few things that can go to the CS/tip which I've brought home, and some things that were important which I shoved in her car when she was taking the kids home. My DB finishes work at about 8pm and is then going over to help her finish emptying the place (they've booked a babysitter) and clean. I suspect they'll have a VERY late night.

I've offered to go back when the babysitter arrives and take another car load, plus take some crates/boxes over as they don't appear to have any packing materials. And they don't actually have anywhere to put the stuff or sort it, so it'll be in the back of their cars/van for weeks at this rate.

I guess I need to get the builders to hurry up and clear their stuff out of my garage...
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Maddie -ALL my cats have come caravanning with us and none of them have ever needed a harness or lead. Even one we'd only had for two weeks before we went away! The older ones soon recognise the smell of home and where their food is. Current puss is a Prima Donna so her litter tray was kept under the 'van.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure