🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Sign the Petition for Womens state pension age going up unfair

Options

Comments

• OldBeanz
    OldBeanz Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    The time to campaign against the 2011 changes was 2011.

But no one sent them a letter to tell them :rotfl:
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    saver861 wrote: »
    But is that not up to those who think there should be changes to the 2011 policy to do something to try to get those concessions?

Yep and it happened back in 2011 with the 6 months concession.
  • saver861
    saver861 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options

Well we can't go back to 2011 so what do you think peoples next best option is?
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,464 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    saver861 wrote: »
    Well we can't go back to 2011 so what do you think peoples next best option is?

Make provision for the extra time until you can get your SRP. That's what I've done!
  • saver861
    saver861 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    Make provision for the extra time until you can get your SRP. That's what I've done!

People can do that for sure.

However, that does not in any way effect change to the 2011 policy? What are your suggestions for action to have the 2011 policy reversed or changed for those impacted?
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 January 2016 at 12:08PM
    Options
    Figgerty wrote: »
    Those of you doubting that women of 60 may not have been aware of the state pension age changes should declare their age and the general type of job you do. If you are an IFA or worked in Pensions then of course you would know. It was your job to know. If you do not have that type of background and left education since 2000ish they you would have had benefit of the internet and known how to use it.

Lastly, if you went to University or Polytechnic, then you benefited from a longer education and Government funding of this education. So why then are you begrudging the 1950's women fairness in their pension. Most of them started work at age 16 and have worked over 45 years. A lot are in menial jobs at meagre wages.

I'm mid 60s and worked in education - no interest in pensions whatsoever but well remember the announcement of the changes in the 1993 budget statement. You also seem to be missing the point that it was our generation that benefited from free HE plus grants etc. not younger people.

I do wish you'd stop stereotyping women born in the 50s as being uneducated and working in dead end, repetitive jobs. That's true for some (as it is now) but it certainly isn't true for all of us and, quite frankly, I think it's an insult.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,775 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I do wish you'd stop stereotyping women born in the 50s as being uneducated and working in dead end, repetitive jobs. That's true for some (as it is now) but it certainly isn't true for all of us and, quite frankly, I think it's an insult.
    And being elderly. ;)

Time to put the Doc Martens and jeggings away?
    My Mam's been telling me for the last 30 years that I'm too old to wear Docs.
  • Seabee42
    Seabee42 Posts: 448 Forumite
    Options
    Lets be honest there is no financial reason at all to give any more preferential treatment to a group who are already treated financially more favourably than men and never mind the next generation. The cost of which would have to be paid by the next generation who as another thread on this forum shows will soon be provided even less favourable terms to save for themselves. Will never be the generation to take an undiscounted pension at 50 etc.

Like an increase in taxes etc you suck it up. It is not a gravy train. If you do not like it elect someone to change it for you.
  • Figgerty
    Figgerty Posts: 473 Forumite
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    I'm 56 in a couple of weeks so have been affected by the rise in my SPA from 60 to 66 (although having been born six weeks into 1960, WASPI seem to think I can go hang..). I've spent most of my life working in the IT industry - I went to University (as did plenty of women of my age) with funding provided as grants instead of loans, so considerably better off in that respect than the young people who will be paying for my State Pension when I get it.

My work involves working with the public sector, and many of the people I work with there are women in their 50's with good full time careers and final salary pensions that they'll be able to take without deductions at the age of 60.

So please don't stereotype all women born in the 1950s all either as ignorant people on minimum wage who just spend our lives watching Corrie and talking about shoes, and/or selfless Florence Nightingales who were so busy raising perfect children and caring for the elderly that we never had time to read a newspaper....

I was perfectly aware of the changes and how they affected me when they came in from watching the news on TV. I have some sympathy for the 1953-54 women and would like to see something in place to ensure that those put in hardship by the acellerated 2011 changes are helped, but I believe that the rise in SPA is the correct thing to do and don't support WASPI's demands. And I've written to my MP to say so.

I'm sure there were some women born in 1953 who also went to university but I don't know of any, perhaps because I'm not from the right class. The women who started the #Waspi campaign were on low wages, not minimum wage because it did not exist back then. University educated women would have had a completely different experience,. Being unaware or uneducated does not make anyone 'ignorant' in my view. You may view it as ignorant though.
    Some Burke bloke quote: all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to say nothing. :silenced:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,775 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Figgerty wrote: »
    Being unaware or uneducated does not make anyone 'ignorant' in my view. You may view it as ignorant though.
    There's more than 1 meaning to the word 'ignorant'.
    And one really does mean 'unaware' or 'uneducated'.
    lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
    "he was told constantly that he was ignorant and stupid"
    synonyms:uneducated, unknowledgeable, untaught, unschooled, untutored, untrained, illiterate, unlettered, unlearned, unread, uninformed, unenlightened, unscholarly, unqualified, benighted, backward;
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport