Boots returns - perfume?

Options

Comments

• Newlyboughthouse
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    I can't think of anyone to re-gift them to which is unfortunate but I don't like to give thoughtless gifts so wouldn't just give them for the sake of giving them. I can't even try to wear them and live through the allergy as its anaphylactic so pretty serious.

Quite annoyed at both people as everyone who knows me knows I have these serious allergies and have been carted out of many a shop in an ambulance when someone's perfume sets me off so these gifts are really quite thoughtless. Oh well, that's £50 worth down the drain.

It's not really down the drain though is it? Sell them on or better yet, give them to charity shops.
  • Lunar_Eclipse
    Options
    Gift giving is supposed to be that you give the person something that they want and wouldn't otherwise get for themselves.

I don't think it is. Most of the time I doubt people *know* what someone wants. And sometimes gifts are what people need. I do agree one should buy a gift in the hope the recipient likes it though, as opposed to what the buyer likes.

Even gifts I buy my children and husband, who I know well, are not items I know they want. We don't write lists or discuss what we'd like for Christmas for instance, but rather put thought into what we think would go down well. Admittedly I did buy my mum something she had said she'd like in a conversation earlier in the year. But that's a one off.

I buy most of the things I want. Things I'd really like that I wouldn't buy for myself are either seriously expensive, or I don't want them enough. I'm not a big spender, shopaholic or craver of many things, but would have thought lots of people were similar.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,308 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What?! Gift giving is supposed to be that you give the person something that they want and wouldn't otherwise get for themselves. Not something that you want and not something that you think the other person should want!

For some people I can see this as being the case, mostly for people who really want something and don't have the money themselves to buy it - children in particular. But for most people the best gifts are the thing they wouldn't buy for themselves because they didn't realise they wanted it, or even know it existed. Personally, I feel the success of something exactly right and unwanted, because not known about to want, far outweighs a few gifts which are liked only because of the giver. Otherwise why not give up giving presents and everyone just spend what they can on themselves?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • PhilBelfast
    Options
    Hi there,
    I am coming with a weird question. I want to buy online 5 perfums from Boots. All of them have free samples. I am buying them for the samples. Do you think it is possible for me to return all of them in store? (they will all be sealed, as I will not use the full bottles) I will have some french students from a college that works with this kind of things in the industry and I would like to present them some of the scents from these perfums; this is the reason...
    Thanks!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Hi there,
    I am coming with a weird question. I want to buy online 5 perfums from Boots. All of them have free samples. I am buying them for the samples. Do you think it is possible for me to return all of them in store? (they will all be sealed, as I will not use the full bottles) I will have some french students from a college that works with this kind of things in the industry and I would like to present them some of the scents from these perfums; this is the reason...
    Thanks!
    What does it say on the Boots website?
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there,
    Thanks!

Just go to Boots and ask for samples ? When you buy perfume you don't always get samples of the one you're buying, they sometimes send different ones.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure if they would take it without a receipt because there so many fakes out there. I guess maybe it might have a boots barcode on though so I'd try. Most likely they will give you a giftcard.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Look on eBay - lots of people sell the mini bottles that they received as part of a "free gift with purchase".
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think any posters on MSE would condone this type of abuse of the system. Just ask for samples in store or put your hand in your pocket.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    According to the website you can return to store - unless product came direct from the supplier.

However, why do you think you would be able to keep the free gift if you return the product? It is only free if you buy the product.

You ned to return the product and the free gift
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport