Boots returns - perfume?

Options

Comments

• Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    red_devil wrote: »
    why do people insist on buying presents for people when they don't really know what they like and not even keeping the receipts. I would never just guess at what perfume someone might like?

Because gift giving is not supposed to be shopping by proxy, and if we all give in to the idea that gift giving occasions are just another way for people to get stuff they want, something really nice will have been lost.
  • moomoomama27
    Options
    Firstly I would try to return to boots if that's where they are from. If that fails, you could try Ebay or local selling sites, such as your local facebay or similar.

Failing that I guess you could donate them, or secret santa them?
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I go into any boots or would I be better going to the "big boots" like the ones in the city centre that have perfume counters and the like?

We have a boots just down the road but they don't sell perfumes, just medicines and shampoos and things.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    Can I go into any boots or would I be better going to the "big boots" like the ones in the city centre that have perfume counters and the like?

We have a boots just down the road but they don't sell perfumes, just medicines and shampoos and things.
    I doubt very much that a Boots that doesn't sell perfumes will give you a refund.
    And they clearly can't give you an exchange so I'd head for the larger store.
  • patchwork_cat
    Options
    Boots are excellent at swapping items as long as they sell it, even without receipt.
  • patchwork_cat
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    Because gift giving is not supposed to be shopping by proxy, and if we all give in to the idea that gift giving occasions are just another way for people to get stuff they want, something really nice will have been lost.

What?! Gift giving is supposed to be that you give the person something that they want and wouldn't otherwise get for themselves. Not something that you want and not something that you think the other person should want!
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    I just checked with DD1 who is currently working in Boots during her Uni hols and she says, as the perfume is sealed but without a receipt, they would exchange for goods to the current value it scans in the till at (plus you can pay extra on top if a more expensive item/s). They won't refund money or give vouchers. This does not apply to concession stands in Boots, so hopefully the perfume is one sold at the Boots perfume counter.

I would think that you would get more choice of items you might wish to exhange the perfume for in a larger Boots store, so IMO you would probably be better off going into the larger store. Also DD works in a large store with a perfume counter, so she didn't know about smaller stores with no perfume counters.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What?! Gift giving is supposed to be that you give the person something that they want

No I don't think it is. I think its about giving them something that you hope they'll like and that you want them to have that shows you thought of them and cared enough to take the time to pick and give a gift.

Recently though, sadly, it does seem to have become all about the actual item and not at all about the thought/gesture, leading to an increasing lack of gratitude and grace from many people when they are given something they wouldn't have chosen.
  • heuchera
    heuchera Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    I must admit if I am thinking of buying something for someone, be it perfume or a book or music, I usually do a bit of homework beforehand and try and find out what that person likes. I would never just randomly buy a bottle of perfume and think "that'll do".
    left the forum due to trolling/other nonsense
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    heuchera wrote: »
    I must admit if I am thinking of buying something for someone, be it perfume or a book or music, I usually do a bit of homework beforehand and try and find out what that person likes. I would never just randomly buy a bottle of perfume and think "that'll do".
    I agree - especially when the OP says the gifter knew that she had an allergy:
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    That's the awkward bit, I opened one of them in front of the gifter and my sister piped up "oh thanks, new perfume!" Gifter at that point said "oh you're allergic aren't you, can't you use just a little bit?" And that's when I found out there was no receipt for the Beyonc!.

For the boss I just wrote "thank you for your kind gift" on the card as I had literally nothing else to say. Both gifters are close relatives.
    I think I'd rather have no gift than one that no thought has been put into what is being bought. It's a waste of money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure