Boots returns - perfume?

I've been gifted 2 bottles of perfume over Christmas from 2 different people despite being allergic to the stuff. I've been told both bottles are from boots but neither gifter has kept the receipt.

Both bottles are still in their cellophane wrapping, one is boss orange and the other is Beyonc! heat rush.

I'd like to return both perfumes and get something I can actually use. Will boots allow me to return these without a receipt?

Comments

• scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    Doubt it, why not recycle and re-gift them to someone else
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I wouldn't have thought so without proof of purchase.

The gifters could use their bank statements as proof.

I believe boots allow exchanges for things like this when they aren't faulty. But without proof of purchase or boots branded then no.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • I feel your pain !

If there was something on the packaging that said Boots they'd probably be open to a swop but without a receipt I think it's pretty unlikely.
    I really don't get why someone would buy a random perfume without a gift receipt.
    I'm sure it will sound ungrateful but I'd most definitely prefer to go without rather than be smothered in something I don't like.

You could always share the pain and regift !!
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I can't think of anyone to re-gift them to which is unfortunate but I don't like to give thoughtless gifts so wouldn't just give them for the sake of giving them. I can't even try to wear them and live through the allergy as its anaphylactic so pretty serious.

Quite annoyed at both people as everyone who knows me knows I have these serious allergies and have been carted out of many a shop in an ambulance when someone's perfume sets me off so these gifts are really quite thoughtless. Oh well, that's £50 worth down the drain.
  • No harm in trying though. It's not like you are wanting money back. Better to ask and be refused than have £50 of perfume go to waste.
  • tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    EBay them then buy something you'd like
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,827
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    If you can't exchange them then is there a woman's aid which could take them. It would be lovely for someone with little for themself
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Actually you have no rights at all.
    It would be the buyer of the gifts who would have any consumer rights but I'm not sure that perfume would even be accepted back by Boots.
    I would check on Boots website if they do accept perfume returns & then see if you can get hold of the receipt.
    If they paid by card, you're probably out of luck as that's the way they would refund.
    Take a look at the Consumer Rights board for your legal rights.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    tea_lover wrote: »
    EBay them then buy something you'd like

Wait a few weeks and you will catch the Valentine's market and make sure your listing is clear that the boxes are sealed.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,256
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Boots website implies they can offer an exchange - worth asking

http://www.boots.com/en/Help/Shopping-in-stores/
    Without a receipt we can only offer you an exchange.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport