Boots returns - perfume?

Options

Comments

• GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    What did they say when you thanked them for their gifts but told them at the same time that unfortunately you would not be able to use them as you are allergic to perfume?

That's the awkward bit, I opened one of them in front of the gifter and my sister piped up "oh thanks, new perfume!" Gifter at that point said "oh you're allergic aren't you, can't you use just a little bit?" And that's when I found out there was no receipt for the Beyonc!.

For the boss I just wrote "thank you for your kind gift" on the card as I had literally nothing else to say. Both gifters are close relatives.
  • Jagraf
    Jagraf Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Never mind. I woukd think someone would be very grateful for a free bottle of perfume somewhere - it doesn't have to be a 'thoughtless' gift - charity / bring and buy / raffle. I bet everyone has a gift they won't use. I'm happy regifting mine but I have two books I've already read and a bottle of port I won't drink - but someone will enjoy. eBay ir just give it away.
    Never again will the wolf get so close to my door :eek:
  • Georgiegirl256
    Options
    Go in and try, they can only say no. I've taken things back before (not to Boots, it was Next and so obviously from there) without a receipt and they gave me a gift card. Where there is no proof that the perfumes were bought from there, then that makes it a bit harder and I guess you have to hope the person will do it out of goodwill.

You could maybe ask to speak to a manager or superviser?

If not then either sell them on eBay or re gift them. I'm sure there'll be plenty of people more than grateful to take them of your hands!
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have a local FB group for buying and selling. I've sold 2 perfumes on there recently along with other items. Many perfumes and the like go for pretty much their selling price (people like it as it saves traipsing round shops). You may have something similar in your area. People collect items generally. Def remember to say 'sealed in cellophane', 'unwanted gift' and 'genuine'. Failing that, as above, ebay.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • mich13x
    mich13x Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I *think* some fragrance gift sets are exclusive to boots so if they are the gift sets there's maybe more of a chance to prove they are from there?

Worth a try anyway.
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    why do people insist on buying presents for people when they don't really know what they like and not even keeping the receipts. I would never just guess at what perfume someone might like?
    :footie:
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    for those saying ebay them, isn't perfume banned from being posted?

• sam.4000
    sam.4000 Posts: 1,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    for those saying ebay them, isn't perfume banned from being posted?

No it's not banned but it needs to be 100ml or less and in the original packaging and the post office stick a warning label on it when you post it.
  • Peter333
    Peter333 Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    Options
    red_devil wrote: »
    why do people insist on buying presents for people when they don't really know what they like and not even keeping the receipts. I would never just guess at what perfume someone might like?

I know: it's daft!

My brother's wife was trying to buy gifts (for Christmas,) for her neighbour's 12 year old boy and 2 daughters (aged 8 and 6.) The girls were easy, as they were happy with Frozen and Hello Kitty stuff, and clothes, but the lad was harder. My SIL was stuck, and yet my brother kept on and on INSISTING that she gives him a Star Wars Mug or calendar. 'What if he doesn't like it?' she said. 'EVERY lad like Star Wars!' came the retort.

LOL, I think Star Wars is good, but my mate at work thinks it's bullux, and is obsessed with footie! She got him a gift token for HMV and some socks and a selection box in the end. She was talking to his mum yesterday, and it turns out the lad quite liked video games and cars. He has not a jot of interest in Star Wars!

I reckon some of the time, people buy stuff for people that they would buy for THEMSELVES.

I remember my sister's boyfriend buying her the box set of the A team once; after about 18 months together. (3 living together.) She had never said she likes it, and was baffled as to why he would have bought it! He watched it constantly.

WTH? :rotfl: I would never buy someone something just because I liked it. Some people are so arrogant that they assume everyone must - and WILL - like everything they like!

As for the OP; if you have opened the perfume, then you will have to just give it away.
    You didn't, did you? :rotfl::rotfl:
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    Ask in your local branch - as long as its the size they stock they will usually allow an exchange but not refund.
    otherwise - Ebay!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport