What is the Highest Interest Rate / Cashback / Rewards You Can Get?

Options

Comments

• ih8stress
    ih8stress Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks. Yes, as I understand it the money does the 'hokey cokey' once a month ;)
  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's been a while since I had a regular saver so I can’t remember when the optimum time during the month is for applying for one. I vaguely remember that depending on when you opened one meant you could squeeze an extra payment into it (or am I imagining that?).
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,450 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    10_66 wrote: »
    It's been a while since I had a regular saver so I can’t remember when the optimum time during the month is for applying for one. I vaguely remember that depending on when you opened one meant you could squeeze an extra payment into it (or am I imagining that?).
    I wouldn't have thought there'd be a 'one size fits all' answer to that as it'll depend on the Ts & Cs of each individual account - even for those where 13 payments may be viable the incremental interest benefit would be practically negligible anyway!
  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    10_66 wrote: »
    eskbanker wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought there'd be a 'one size fits all' answer to that as it'll depend on the Ts & Cs of each individual account - even for those where 13 payments may be viable the incremental interest benefit would be practically negligible anyway!

Ahh, I've found the link to the page I was after now.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=6683574#post6683574
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,450 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I still wouldn't take some of the views expressed there (nine years ago) as gospel!

In particular one poster says "Obviously, the earlier in the month you deposti, the more interest you are getting" but that depends on how 'month' is defined - I think there are more accounts now than in 2007 that use the concept of 'account month' (from date of opening) rather than calendar months, hence my (unchanged!) recommendation to review individual account Ts & Cs!
  • MissTasmanian
    Options
    Surely Halifax pays £60 a year not £75?

£5 x 12?
  • TheTracker
    TheTracker Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Surely Halifax pays £60 a year not £75?

£5 x 12?

£75 - 20% tax = £60
  • MissTasmanian
    Options
    But the tax isn't refundable as it's a reward not interest so it can only ever be £60 a year.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The tax is refundable, if you shouldn't pay tax, but you've got to apply to HMRC for it.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • MissTasmanian
    Options
    I ma sure I remember reading here a few months back that the tax is not refundable because it's a gift and not interest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure