🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

What is the Highest Interest Rate / Cashback / Rewards You Can Get?

Options

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    flopsy1973 wrote: »
    What else can i do to maximise as the 30 k
    I've already told you EXACTLY how to maximise the return on your £30K above in post #182...under the section aptly entitled "maximise"! Did I waste my time?

Maybe read it again and digest the information?
    what is the best way to set up the S/O to transfer all this money around
    Not sure I follow? You know how much each account requires each month. Just set up your SOs to comply with this. There is no "best way"...well there is, its the way that suits YOU best.
  • Gollygumdrops
    Options
    HI can anyone help with a query.

I would like to open BOS current account for the 3% interest. Problem is I am not earning at the moment, (no wages or benefits - left to have my children and not found a job yet!). Therefore, I will have to open this jointly with my husband, as the financial checks by myself will show I earn 0.
    Once the account is up and running would I then be able to ask to revert the account to my sole name? Nothing untoward, just that as I am allowed more interest/tax free earnings it would be better in my name only, rather than eating into my husbands new £500 tax free savings allowance? What are the chances? There are several other current accounts that I would like to get the advantages of too.
    Many thanks
  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I would like to open BOS current account for the 3% interest. Problem is I am not earning at the moment, (no wages or benefits - left to have my children and not found a job yet!). Therefore, I will have to open this jointly with my husband, as the financial checks by myself will show I earn 0.
    Once the account is up and running would I then be able to ask to revert the account to my sole name? Nothing untoward, just that as I am allowed more interest/tax free earnings it would be better in my name only, rather than eating into my husbands new £500 tax free savings allowance? What are the chances? There are several other current accounts that I would like to get the advantages of too.
    Many thanks

As far as I'm aware you cannot remove a name from a bank account, I think it would necessitate closing joint and re-opening one in sole name, which of course defeats your object.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Many thanks

You can nominate the account such that you have 100% so that the interest is tax free. The default is 50:50 but there's nothing to stop you and your husband nominating a different split.
  • Special_Saver2
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

I have just updated the first post of this thread to include the new Santander Regular eSaver account paying 5% on up to £200 per month for 1 year.

I am considering opening a Santander current account (one of the ones that do not charge a fee) to be able to open this regular savings account. Having said that, it works out that the additional interest compared to what I can earn elsewhere is only £11.70 over 1 year after tax for me (I will already have used up my tax-free personal savings allowance) so I might not bother.

Let me also thank the experienced forum users for continuing to post answers to the enquiries from the newbies. I have learned a thing or two from the answers too!

SS2
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Could you pls also add the 4% Santander HTB ISA, alongside the Halifax one?
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,137 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 21 March 2016 at 9:20PM
    Options

I am considering opening a Santander current account (one of the ones that do not charge a fee) to be able to open this regular savings account. Having said that, it works out that the additional interest compared to what I can earn elsewhere is only £11.70 over 1 year after tax for me (I will already have used up my tax-free personal savings allowance) so I might not bother.

SS2

Tracked and paid fine for me :j

http://www.imutual.co.uk/santander-everyday-account ;) Cashback Guarantee
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

I have just updated the first post of this thread to include the new Santander Regular eSaver account paying 5% on up to £200 per month for 1 year.

SS2

5% for the first year and .25% after.

I opened a Santander eSaver the other day and it took 35 minutes on the phone to do it. I felt sorry for the Santander staff.

Why didn't they let me open it online? The Nationwide equivalent can be opened in a few minutes all online!
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Terry98 wrote: »
    5% for the first year and .25% after.
    This sort of thing is normal for Regular Savers. They pay a high rate for 12 months, then morph into something mediocre. In most cases, you can just start another Regular Saver straight away. You would also want to use an interest-paying current account from which to drip-feed the Regular Saver.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    This sort of thing is normal for Regular Savers. They pay a high rate for 12 months, then morph into something mediocre. In most cases, you can just start another Regular Saver straight away. You would also want to use an interest-paying current account from which to drip-feed the Regular Saver.

From what I could see it's the first time that Santander has offered this rate over 12 months.

Let's hope they do offer another Regular Saver offering a similar rate at the end of the term.

You still need to make sure you move the proceeds to an account paying better then .25%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport