Money Moral Dilemma: Should I buy a cheaper engagement ring?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

My girlfriend's expecting me to spend a certain amount on her engagement ring, but I've found a nice one for a chunk less. Should I just buy it and not tell her how much it cost, or stump up the cash for a more expensive one?
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• gayleygoo
    Options
    I find it odd that she would specify the price in the first place, but anyhoo.

Since youse have already discussed the engagement ring, why not discuss it again? Be honest and say you think you've found the perfect ring, and it's cheaper than you thought it would be. How much does the cost matter?

How does insurance work? If you have to submit a receipt to an insurance company (I don't know if you do), she may well find out later!

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
  • Georgiegirl256
    Options
    I can already hazard a guess how this thread is going to turn out....
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bit grabby for her to specify the sort of amount she expects you to spend on her ring, but if the ring you've seen isn't what she wants then you'll be wasting your money as she'll be disappointed with it.

Talking to her about it is the best option.
  • Jacko_amz
    Options
    you should spend whatever you can afford on an engagement ring, its the sentiment behind it that holds the value. I recently said to my OH if he is planning to propose i would be happy with a ring from pandora at £50!

it really shouldn't matter about the price and it says something about her if shes going to scrutinizing it! x
    Tesco Loan - 9177
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm a bit bemused about how cost came up in the first place. Sounds like my mum who hands me a Christmas present and says something like "I got it half price" or "I bought it from Poundland". How much the ring costs is none of her business, unless you try to claim it's something that it's not, e.g. by pretending it's a higher quality than it actually is.
  • fairy_lights
    Options
    What?! Do people really specify how much they want their significant other to spend on a ring now? Is she really more concerned about the cost of the ring than the look or it or the thought behind it?
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,063 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    She'd not get one at all if she was being that grabby... since when did engagements get planned?? and prices specified? rude much??

I'd be happy with a haribo ring because it is what it symbolises that counts not the price tag.

I foresee a life of debt, over spending living beyond your means and want want want..

But I'm bit of a cynic :p and a witch :p
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Poor Nick! To be faced with such a dilemma must be very trying.

Perhaps ask Martin for a pay rise.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »
    I'd be happy with a haribo ring because it is what it symbolises that counts
    Diabetes?

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Petra_70
    Petra_70 Posts: 619 Forumite
    edited 1 December 2015 at 7:07PM
    Options
    Who IS this moneysaver, and where and when did they ask this question? :huh:

Anyway, that aside, if I were a man, and any woman I was dating demanded that I spend a certain allocated amount on an engagement ring for her, she would be my ex rather sharpish.

Imagine what a bridezilla she will be? And even worse, what a nightmare demanding wife she will be? I don't want a house unless it's worth seven figures, I don't want a car unless it's worth six figures, I only want Armani and D & G fashions in this house, I won't go to any hairdresser unless they charge at least 100 pounds for a haircut.

Seriously, what man would want a nightmare woman like THIS?! Telling him he absolutely MUST spend a 'certain amount' on an engagement ring. [Text removed by MSE Forum Team] :rotfl:

That's if this 'dilemma' is even real. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure