🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Lastminute.com - Top Secret Hotels REVEALED (London ONLY)

Options

Comments

• Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Options
    whykt wrote: »
    Luxurious unique property minutes from Chelsea - 5*

Just booked this hotel, it turned out to be Hotel Verta, Bridges Wharf, London, SW11 3BE.

"This hotel is part of a new breed of properties springing up on the south side of the Thames offering luxury and something truly different to the traveller. Situated less than ten minutes from The Kings Road in Chelsea this property offers modern comfortable rooms with flat screen TVs and wireless internet. This is a great deal in one of London's most exciting properties."

Under £100 a night with cashback and discount code, not bad for a 5*!

Nice to know which hotel this is as it could easily have been either Rafayel or Verta. I couldn't find any way to confirm this but now you have - so thanks!
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Options
    TheMacs wrote: »
    Hello,

Love this thread!

We're trying to get a good deal for 11th - 14th Feb. Our max budget is £120 p/n. We don't mind where we stay but would like something near central london.

Can anyone recommend which of the top secret hotels are worth going to?

Thanks

Bit more expensive than usual this weekend due to it being the closest one to the 14th.

However:

Amazing deal at Cool Luxury City Centre Hotel £105.83 = Crowne Plaza London The City

Luxurious unique property minutes from Chelsea £109 = Verta (thanks whykt), brand new, not heard much about it yet but an interesting price for 5*. However, location is not the best.

Superb high quality hotel next to Tower Bridge £108.33 = Grange City. I wouldn't normally recommend this (it pretends to be 5* when it isn't) but it's not bad value compared to some on these particular dates.

Modern hotel near Tower Bridge - Central £112.08 = Hilton London Tower Bridge. Widely regarded as one of the better 4* Hiltons in London. Note this has a new title.

Apex City of London (not secret) £116.20. Good hotel, good location.

Crowne Plaza London Shoreditch (not secret) £117.73. Good hotel, good transport links and lots of nightlife but maybe some might consider the area a bit unrefined.

Marriott West India Quay and Hilton Canary Wharf both not secret and both £118.80. Both good hotels, the Marriott is a 5* vs the Hilton's 4* but the Hilton is still very good. Unfortunately in Docklands so a bit out of the way.

That is all I can find.

For price/quality I would personally take the first one on this list (Crowne Plaza London The City). You will note a lot of the hotels on this list are in the City area, of course these are cheaper at the weekends due to the lack of business custom. It does also mean shops in the area can be closed both Saturday and Sunday. You shouldn't have any problem getting to somewhere more lively, though.
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Pelican_eats_pigeon Posts: 783 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2011 at 3:29AM
    Options
    pinksprout wrote: »
    Hi pelican_eats_pigeon, thank you for all your help on this thread.

I'm looking for 1 night, Friday 18 March - 2 adults:

Other than The Cumberland for £109 (which I have worked out from earlier posts) are any of the following top secret 'Room Only' deals worth considering:

1.) Modern hotel in the heart of Bloomsbury - 4* - £106.25 - Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury - very average!

2.) Luxury and fab hotel near Buckingham Palace - 4* - £121.56 = Crowne Plaza St James. Good hotel.

3.) Intimate and Luxury Boutique Hotel in Hyde Park - 4* - £126.99 = The Royal Park Hotel. Not familiar with this one but tripadvisor reviews are excellent.

4.) Amazing deal at Cool Luxury City Centre Hotel - 4* - £93.75 = Crowne Plaza London the City. Good Hotel.

5.) Chic hotel close to Hyde Park & Paddington - 4* - £109 - Hyde Park Premier London Paddington. Don't bother with it!

6.) Amazing City hotel with luxury spa &pool,book now! - 5* - £99 - Grange St Pauls. More of a 4* really, ok value at £99.

I hope that's enough detail for you to recognise the hotel; you're clearly very familiar with the usual top secret hotel deals :A

Crowne Plaza and the Grange are the only ones that look like any kind of value right now, you will probably have a greater choice (especially among quality 4* hotels in the sub £100 bracket) if you wait till nearer the time.

Edit: The Royal Park might also be worth keeping in mind as it doesn't appear to go much lower as yet. Think it might be a brand new participant though so it's too early to tell.
  • jamrockjay
    Options
    Hi, I would like some help please with choosing the right hotel for my partners and i stay on the 11th march.
    We would like to be quite central and we would prefer a modern boutique hotel, we would also prefer a 5* but would settle for a highly recommended 4*. If at all possible we would like a jacuzzi in our room and preferably a king size bed, we have a budget of £150 for our night and we are not particularly bothered about breakfast included.
    Also when would be the best time to book to get the best possible price? Many thanks all, great thread by the way .
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Options
    jamrockjay wrote: »
    Hi, I would like some help please with choosing the right hotel for my partners and i stay on the 11th march.
    We would like to be quite central and we would prefer a modern boutique hotel, we would also prefer a 5* but would settle for a highly recommended 4*. If at all possible we would like a jacuzzi in our room and preferably a king size bed, we have a budget of £150 for our night and we are not particularly bothered about breakfast included.
    Also when would be the best time to book to get the best possible price? Many thanks all, great thread by the way .

It may be possible that a lot of searching will find something that matches your requirements, but it will be difficult.

-Not many hotels in central London have in-room jacuzzis.
    -Of the hotels which do have in-room jacuzzis, these are mainly found in higher level rooms. Lastminute Secret Hotels usually only offers the standard room. I can only think offhand of 1 hotel that has Jacuzzis in all rooms.
    -"Boutique Hotel" seems to have lost most of its original meaning nowadays, can I ask for clarification as to what you mean by it?

The best time to book for the lowest price at this time of year is generally 2 days-1 week before your stay. Very few hotels are full in March.

5* secret hotels currently available in your price range:

-Luxurious unique property minutes from Chelsea £109 - Hotel Verta (not so central)
    -Amazing City hotel with luxury spa &pool,book now! £105- Grange St Pauls (more of a 4* really, should come down to £99)
    -Stylish Vibrant and ideal for London Shopping £145 - the Andaz, good hotel but likely to come down to £125 nearer the time
    -Top West End Hotel £150 - the Athenaeum, absolutely wonderful hotel, might come down to £130 nearer the time or might disappear completely.

None of these have in-room jacuzzis as far as I know.
  • jrs200
    jrs200 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone stayed in The Crowne Plaza Kensington. I am looking at a good deal via the 'Cheapest way to stay in Holiday Inn thread' and wondered how good it is?
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Options
    jrs200 wrote: »
    Has anyone stayed in The Crowne Plaza Kensington. I am looking at a good deal via the 'Cheapest way to stay in Holiday Inn thread' and wondered how good it is?

This is a very good hotel. I would use it now and again if it wasn't for the benefits I get as a regular guest at the Hilton Kensington.

What kind of rate are you getting?
  • jrs200
    jrs200 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    This is a very good hotel. I would use it now and again if it wasn't for the benefits I get as a regular guest at the Hilton Kensington.

What kind of rate are you getting?

Total rate comes out at £204 for 2 nights. (no breakfast). Seems pretty good to me.
  • jamrockjay
    Options
    Thanks Pelican_eats_pigeon for the quick response, with regards to the jacuzzi its not a necessity its just something we thought of as a after touch. Ok here goes i will give u my interpratation of a boutique hotel... I like smaller more lavish hotels somewhere that offers that lil bit extra, i prefer a non chain, somewhere that offers a higher level of service, i do prefer ultra modern to oldie worldie, however i do like one with a theme.
    I have just looked at the ones u posted, could u tell me out of the Andaz and the Athenaeum which would get ur vote? Many thanks
  • TheMacs
    Options
    Bit more expensive than usual this weekend due to it being the closest one to the 14th.

However:

Amazing deal at Cool Luxury City Centre Hotel £105.83 = Crowne Plaza London The City

Luxurious unique property minutes from Chelsea £109 = Verta (thanks whykt), brand new, not heard much about it yet but an interesting price for 5*. However, location is not the best.

Superb high quality hotel next to Tower Bridge £108.33 = Grange City. I wouldn't normally recommend this (it pretends to be 5* when it isn't) but it's not bad value compared to some on these particular dates.

Modern hotel near Tower Bridge - Central £112.08 = Hilton London Tower Bridge. Widely regarded as one of the better 4* Hiltons in London. Note this has a new title.

Apex City of London (not secret) £116.20. Good hotel, good location.

Crowne Plaza London Shoreditch (not secret) £117.73. Good hotel, good transport links and lots of nightlife but maybe some might consider the area a bit unrefined.

Marriott West India Quay and Hilton Canary Wharf both not secret and both £118.80. Both good hotels, the Marriott is a 5* vs the Hilton's 4* but the Hilton is still very good. Unfortunately in Docklands so a bit out of the way.

That is all I can find.

For price/quality I would personally take the first one on this list (Crowne Plaza London The City). You will note a lot of the hotels on this list are in the City area, of course these are cheaper at the weekends due to the lack of business custom. It does also mean shops in the area can be closed both Saturday and Sunday. You shouldn't have any problem getting to somewhere more lively, though.

Thanks Pelican_eats_pigeon, that's great!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure