We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Quit everything , and start again over 50?

Options

Comments

• another_casualty
    Options
    Wow !
    More stuff to to think about . Believe it or not , I'm a very realistic person
    Who is very minimal taking stupid risks ( except debt & the biggest decision of my life pending).
    Safe area/ shops / not too far from London / not too expensive .
    That's what I want .where, & will I get it , is the beginning of my adventure
    ( after the crushing blow of realising twckenhanm has gone).

I watched a programme by accident the other day ( the retreat Nick knowles). I sometimes think I should just go somewhere for a lengthy period where I can do all the spirituL stuff . Then come back to uk and rent , without caring about anything anymore .
    Also, if I get to an age ( well over 67), where I couldn't manage anymore , sell up then and just rent , or even do equity release .
    I could be dead by then anyway :)
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If that don't say buy freehold, I don't what does, baby.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 October 2016 at 4:37PM
    Options
    Re your solicitors call...

Well of course the EA want their commission, they ain't gonna work for free, would you.:rotfl: Your solicitor is just waffling on about nothing, stating the obvious.

Bottom line is, no sale, no fee, so they won't get a bean until Legal Completion. So trust me they will be doing all they can to keep this sale on track. Having come this far, they won't want to let it slip through their fingers......

What makes your solicitor question your buyers timescales.......they have done everything asked of them without unnecessary delays. They paid promptly for a survey, have their mortgage offer, they are ready and waiting. They have said they want an end of October completion. Has that changed.

Why would a picture of your fascias help your solicitor determine how much you would need to pay......this should be clearly delineated in the terms of the lease. If there are 4 properties then you are liable for one quarter, unless of course your property is larger than everyone else's in which case there would be some system of pro rata charging.

But all this should be in the original lease. Do you not have a copy.

As far as I can tell it is the management company dragging their heels.

The legal stuff always takes a bit longer for a leasehold property than it does for a freehold property. It's more complicated.

You have nearly 4 weeks until end of October. No need to panic just yet. Phone the management company yourself for an update. Be sure to ask them the golden questions ....."is there anything I need to do"
    And "do you have everything you need to proceed"

Nearly there.

And yes your solicitor is within his rights to request further payments from you for "disbursements" (i.e. Any fees paid to third parties). However, he can't ask you for advance payment of either all or part of his fee.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    There's nothing to stop you buying a flat at around £180k cash, and letting it out whilst you travel, have adventures and do your spiritual stuff.

You could tuck a good chunk of what's left of your lump sum - say £40k into your emergency fund/pension pot.

That would leave you roughly £10k, plus your net monthly rental income (after expenses and tax) to fund your travels.

You would have a small income plus an asset which is appreciating in value, ready to provide a home later.

Perfick......you get to eat your cake and keep it too.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Ok ' buy a flat, don't buy a flat ..' Aaaargh!
    Whatever I do buy, I won't be letting it out if I can help it .
    Thanks LL , but I can't see me doing that again .

Buyers just said October . It was me that wants mid October .
    Suiting on a faulty train.. Stifling heat and babies / prams everywhere
    I'll leave it for now
  • wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    Hi again AC.

Been off the radar cos my stairlift tried to throw me off at bedtime ten days ago. Since then have been arguing with twisted back and the idiots at stairlift HQ. Engineer last week, Senior Technical Manager this morning. It has just tried to throw me off in a completely different place/direction.

No idea how/if I will get to bed tonight. Being treated as a stupid old woman who probably has a couple of creaky joints is Not Amusing. Lift was installed after a succession of medics failed to kill me by not diagnosing life-threatening pulmonary embolism.

Not helping you at all, but a flat is currently sounding jolly appealing! Stairs are seriously over-rated.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Was just throwing the rental option into the ring......you were the one who had veered off the straight and narrow and who was suggesting some kind of search for spiritual enligntment;)

You have so many ways you can go now......maybe thats the problem..........maybe too many choices.........Too much choice can be overwhelming.

Since my husband died this is exactly how I feel at times - like being at a cross roads and not knowing which direction to take. I think it happens to most of us at one time or another.

Not feeling my usual cheery self today.

Slept very badly and have been a bit out sorts and all discombobulated. Some damn fool asked me to read a book about some professor dying of ALS. I wished I had refused because it has just bought so many memories of my husband's illness flooding back, just when I thought I had successfully buried them.

This is my new neighbour, she is nice but just too pushy.

I know she means well and maybe she thought I would get comfort about reading about some verbally incontinent American academics ramblings on life and death but it has just made me cross and unsettled - just when I was beginning to feel reconciled to my loss and had reached a place of calm and serenity.

There might have been some commonalties in their symtoms but there the similarities end. There is the world of difference between a 78 year old man who is ready to depart this world and a man who was 49 when he was struck down in the prime of life and who desperately wanted to live.:mad::mad:

Stupid, thoughtless woman. Why couldn't she just leave me to my stiff British upper lip way of dealing with my grief instead of subjecting me to all this touchy-feely let me share this with you claptrap. I feel like telling her to shove her book where the sun dont shine.....

Sorry for the rant........hopefully normal service will be resumed later.;)

I am just cross with myself for agreeing to read the wretched book.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Oh Lordy, Wendy that's awful. Hope all is sorted soon.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Wendy.. So sorry you are struggling at the moment. Really hoping things improve for you.
    LL,, so sorry if I was crabby. Going home from work with babies in each carriage of the train ( and buses), makes my language unprintable on here.

Yes, my head is doing too much thinking. I know I should listen .
    Eventually it will click. Ten years is enough for anyone to suffer, unless it's an animal murderer or something.

B t w : something Belgian to recommend ( you've probably seen,it already)
    The outlaws . It's on Walter presents / all 4 app. Very funny, and intriguing :)
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Wendy.. So sorry you are struggling at the moment. Really hoping things improve for you.
    LL,, so sorry if I was crabby. Going home from work with babies in each carriage of the train ( and buses), makes my language unprintable on here.

Yes, my head is doing too much thinking. I know I should listen .
    Eventually it will click. Ten years is enough for anyone to suffer, unless it's an animal murderer or something.

B t w : something Belgian to recommend ( you've probably seen,it already)
    The outlaws . It's on Walter presents / all 4 app. Very funny, and intriguing :)

Yes I've seen a couple of episodes. Very funny.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport