🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Quit everything , and start again over 50?

Options

Comments

• wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    LL - I would not dream of suggesting our situations are remotely similar (although my father died in his forties when I was fifteen) but I have been offered more leaflets, books etc about not taking 'poisonous' steroids than you could shake a stick at. I now just smile sweetly and say No Thank You.

The latest offering said I could cure myself with an alkaline diet, which apart from curing me would offset my negative energy.

What fun would life be without negative energy? I have so far not had anyone blame the alignment of my furniture, but give it time....

Let's all decide to sleep well and wake up to a better day. I have started the Rest of my Life by turning the heating on. Blooming freezing here.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ah thanks Wendy.....

Yes im going to cook myself a nice supper and then I shall crank up the heating, light the candles and settle down with a film whilst cuddling the cat. I might even pour myself a G&T. Purely medicinal of course. :D

I'm fine, all I need is a good nights sleep.

I've had quite a reasonable day on the whole, too cold for gardening so tackled a pile of paperwork and did some filing.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    So, after posting on here a couple of hours ago..email from solicitor.
    2 questions from buyers solicitor . I know I answered them already, but
    I don't want to antagonise my solicitor while he plays catchup . So:

I send photo of my block as requested by him.
    I see that email, look for attachments sent , and ..they disappeared.
    I had to answer ' the space coloured blue is your parking space ?'
    ' have you or your neighbours done any maintenance and shared costs ' etc.( I'm being brief'
    So then , my computer and passwords do not match . Ages trying to fix
    Don't ask!( old Mac )
    Then I see email from solicitor who tells me he will phone property mgt co
    Then I reply to the latest questions . Annoyed and exhausted .

Now to ask one of my brothers for a £200-250 loan!
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Got loan off brother . All this faffing around today, makes me think it's later in the evening than what it is. Feel fine . Just strange and edgy .
    Then again , it's got to be expected :)
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi AC, all.

AC, well done on getting the loan from your brother. You will get there, you can do this. As far as flats go, you do what is right for you. All we have is opinions, yours is the only one that counts and, whatever you decide to do, I am pretty sure we will all be there for you and waiting for your news as it breaks.

Wendym, I am so sorry to hear about your stair lift problems. Having spent what feels like a month arguing with ignorant insurance company call centre staff, I wish I could sort those idiots out for you; I am just in the mood to (virtually) bite some ankles... think rabid chihuahua again... I guess it takes one to know one. :D

LL, your neighbour sounds like many of those words MSE changes to exclamation marks, silly cow. You freakin' well read what you want to read, lady. Maybe one of your lovely husband's favourite books? He sounds like a scream, the way you describe him; what did he say again, when he was offered a job at the Diplomatic Corps? Come on, I am sure AC won't mind; tell us another story from when he was well and remember the good times, when you're ready? I would like to hear more stories about him, when/if you feel like it.

Sending you all loadsa hugs. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks Smodlet. I'm fine now, I have been been dozing on and off on the sofa with the cat. My equilibrium is now restored.:D

Funny stories involving my husband.. .....I have hundreds.

When he first got sick and was still able to use his PC he wrote his memoirs. They are a hoot. I often reread them. I've also kept copies of some of the eulogies from his funeral........another rich fund of stories from his friends.

He was just a very funny man.......witty, silly, and irreverent, a real raconteur and a great storyteller. Even when his situation was dire he could always find something to laugh about.

Picture the scene.

He's lying in a hospital bed, having nearly died from a bout of pneumonia. He can still type at this stage so they gave him a talking keyboard that has the same metallic robot voice that Stephen Hawkins uses.

He spots my sister approaching so he types out a greeting and presses playback......"show us your t&ts". The ward erupted - all the staff and other patients helpless with laughter.

I was cross today because that blasted book just brought all the bad memories back but tonight I have been reading some of his stories so am happy and cheerful again.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    He sounds like a complete card, LL. Glad you are feeling better.

S x
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Went to bed around 9.30 , feeling relaxed .
    About half hour later , a friend of mine was sending me a few text messages. I could hear the tones . That put paid to my sleep .
    Woke up around 2am .awake since .
    I'm supposed to have a beer with him to morrow , but I'm on early shift so have to cancel .
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Train cancelled this morning. Underground signal trouble , but I still got in way before time ..
  • another_casualty
    another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 October 2016 at 10:11AM
    Options
    Spoke to property mgt co. Managed to get through straight away.
    Probably 1 st caller.
    The nice lady said ,there was probably a complaint made about the fascia.
    We all know who that was...:(
    She said it shouldn't affect the sale .
    The form the solicitor requires , does not exist .
    They will send me info next week .
    Asked the solicitor to contact me about the eaves etc.
    Not paying unless I really have to .
    Angry with the scum next door
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills