• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 26 April 2011 at 10:41AM
    Options
    15c*(1+20%)*0.88€/£=15.84p>15p
  • sharkeez
    Options
    I used worldsim for the 5 weeks I was in Sweden and it has become a nightmare. Was attracted to it because it was a UK number so my family and friends could call me at no extra cost and also that I could recieve calls for free.

Hardly anyone could get through on the number nor send text messages.

The main problem though is the 'UK' number turned out to be an isle of man number which is not classed as a UK number by most operators.

My wife ran up a 300 pound bill on her t-mobile contract.

Check with the network of whomever is going to be calling you. Or you/they will pay the price! Many times over :(
  • gim1952
    gim1952 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Download Skype (not skype light) on a WIFI phone (preferably a smartphone). Phone from anywhere to the UK for FREE (to a computer or another mobile phone with skype loaded or a dedicated skype home phone ... it ring just like a normal household phone) or pay 1p per minute and phone UK landlines, or pay 10p a minute to phone UK mobiles (which I don't do ... far to expensive).

On my Nexus One phone I can even take the sim out restart the phone, connect to a local wifi network (all hotels, coffee shops etc etc), open skype and phone the UK (see above).

Obviously doesn't work in the north pole or jungle etc where there is no WIFI. :-)
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is Skype really working on all the usual UK mobile networks? I know it works with WiFi - have Skype Lite on my venerable old Nokia Symbian phone.
  • gim1952
    gim1952 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    The proof is below:

On my Nexus One phone I can even take the sim out restart the phone, connect to a local wifi network (all hotels, coffee shops etc etc), open skype and phone the UK (see above).

Also works in UK. If the sim is out of the phone (and it still works) how can it not be independent of the networks.

Skype light does use network masts.
  • grumbler
    edited 12 May 2011 at 3:22PM
    Options
    gim1952 wrote: »
    Skype light does use network masts.
    I am no expert, but I think any skype app for mobile phones uses masts if the phone is not connected to wifi. And AFAIK most networks don't allow using mobile data connection for skype.

No problems if both sides use wifi.
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rnem170 wrote: »
    Do mobile companies it the UK have to adhere to the EU law? I would have expected so, but if the wiki I found is correct -

h t t p://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_on_roaming_charges_in_the_European_Union

- talkmobile are currently charging more than the law states for receiving a call.

For the above site, it is currently 39c/min to make a call, and 15c/min to receive a call which is the legal maximum that can be charged. This is in Euro currency and WITHOUT VAT.

So, in Sterling with VAT added, that means a maximum charge of 41p/min to make a call, and 15.6p/min to receive a call, based on todays exchange rate (Euro1 = £0.8723).

So, Talkmobile are charging the legal maximum. As the EU price capping is based in Euro's, this means if the single currency fluctuates wildly, the UK operators may have to change prices accordingly.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • karendb
    karendb Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - I'm looking to buy a Go Sim for my trip to Oz and Hk later on this year. How much would it cost for people in the UK to call me? I can't seem to find this info anywhere.

Thanks for your help :)
    I would love to be lazy but can't find the time:exclamati
  • grumbler
    Options
    http://www.gosim.com/3725-international-sim-number.html
    What number comes with a GO-SIM? Our Global SIM is an international mobile service with its technology based in Estonia; therefore the mobile begins +3725.
    The cost to call the Global SIM will depend on how much your network provider or fixed line carrier charges to call an Estonian mobile. For your ease, we have made some Gateway or Toll Free numbers available which make the cost of calling the Global SIM much cheaper (see our Support section).
    http://www.gosim.com/gosimgatewaysnumbers.html

However, one can do better when calling Estonian mobiles: International CallChecker
  • karendb
    karendb Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »

Grumbler - you're a star - thanks a lot! :)
    I would love to be lazy but can't find the time:exclamati
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure