🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

[THREAD CLOSED - SEE PART 2] Anything & Everything New York

Options

Comments

• phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,033 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You wouldnt believe how many empty boxes we seize a week, high value watches are a personal fave.

the bear
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • AutumnDaze_2
    Options
    Hi everyone:D . I've just spent the whole evening reading all your wonderful advice and help - what a fantastic place to come to. We're off to New York (first time to USA - soooo excited ) on Nov 22nd for 6 days and wondered if any of you have been to the Christmas Show at Radio City and also the Maceys Thanksgiving parade? Any tips please.

Our son is 18. Is he allowed to drink alcohol with a meal but not buy it?

if i bought a fragile ornament or christmas decoration, can I take it through as hand luggage?
    Silly question but, are we allowed to take pens on the plane?:embarasse

Thank you all for such a riveting read.:T
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,143 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AutumnDaze wrote: »
    It would always be worth checking. FWIW we stuck to soft drinks with our sons (16, 18 and 21) but it was only the 16 yo who cared ...
    if i bought a fragile ornament or christmas decoration, can I take it through as hand luggage?
    Yes, but remember you might have to put it INTO your hand luggage rather than carrying it separately, IYSWIM. And if you're sat in certain places on the plane you will have to put your bag in the lockers rather than under your seat. DS3 had the body of a guitar in his hand luggage (the neck was in a very well padded suitcase!) without problem, but it did push his bag to the size limits.
    I'm sure we did ... you'll need one to fill out the forms you have to do on the plane, although if you don't have one the stewards will have some.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Hi everyone:D . I've just spent the whole evening reading all your wonderful advice and help - what a fantastic place to come to. We're off to New York (first time to USA - soooo excited ) on Nov 22nd for 6 days and wondered if any of you have been to the Christmas Show at Radio City and also the Maceys Thanksgiving parade? Any tips please.

Thank you all for such a riveting read.:T

We saw some of the Thanksgiving Parade a few years ago, and in all honesty we got really bored with it after a while and walked away.
    It goes on for hours and it's mainly marching bands etc, and lots of stop start wait while the parade is slowed down because the middle and back is walking too quick.

You could take a fragile ornament on the plane as long as it doesn't have anything sharp on it, pens yes you can have them on the plane.

At both Bloomingdales and Macy’s you can get a visitor 10 or 11% discount card for all your purchases, all you need to do is show Photo I.D, like a drivers licence or a passport, ask an assistant where to go for these, (advisable to do this first off at Macy’s as the shop has lots of different levels and goes over a couple of blocks & although you can take all the receipts to the desk for a discount, trying to find you way back is another thing).
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • playing_with_fire
    Options
    Hello

One of my tips for New York is a place called Max Brenner in Union Square (on Broadway opposite Virgin megastore). The crepes are yummy, be warned do not go if you do not like chocolate as most of the menu is chocolate based. I've only visited New York in the summer but I'm betting the hot chocolate goes down a treat in the colder months.

I got back over a month ago and am kicking myself because while in the Strand bookstore I saw a girl with a really cool Stephen Colbert tote bag (recommend watching The Colbert Report on Comedy Central while you are there or on fx here if you're into comedy and US politics) and was too shy to ask her where she got it. I've since discovered you can get them at barnes and noble, grr, I need to go back!!
  • playing_with_fire
    Options
    PS Does anyone know of a cheaper way of ordering things to be delivered from the us, I've looked at myus.com but it still seems quite pricey especially as the things I want aren't that expensive (either the websites don't do international delivery or the delivery cost is more than the item itself!)
  • thatsfabulous
    Options
    We wanted to buy a snowglobe from Saks however it would have to go into handluggage but of course it has liquid in it which most people wouldnt think twice about but i think this would be taken off you at security as they cant get into it to test the liquid and also prob more than 100ml so just to remind anyone as we nearly bought one however remembered last minute.
    If anyone thinks any different please let me know?
    Gutted we couldnt buy one but could have been a waste of money if taken off us.
    New York ♥..........These street will make you feel brand new, Big lights will inspire you.
    No place in the world that can compare ♥ 2nd October 2010 ♥
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,143 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We didn't notice any signs about not taking liquid onto the plane on the way back, nor any bins for water bottles etc. Is is just a UK thing?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • playing_with_fire
    Options
    Mr_Raoul wrote: »
    Just Booked NYNY for the first time, flying out next week!

it was a pretty spontanious booking so we have done no planning whatsoever as yet, reckon we'll just do that on the plane!?

Staying at Washington Jefferson, 51st Street.

Does anybody know any cheeky websites for broadway tickets cheaper than your average bear? no too bothered which show?

Also, im wondering what is the best method on gettiong to Manhattan from JFK, a quick google tells me there is a shuttle bus for about $15 - sounds good?

Also, how cold will it be nexy week, i dont want to end up freezing like diseased rhinoceros pizzle!
    We used the supershuttle service from the airport. I booked online so just had to go to the supershuttle desk when we got to jfk. It cost less than $40 for the two of us and that included the tip which I added on when paying online (used nationwide card to be extra mse). I don't mind it to be honest, we were staying near city hall so were one of the last to be dropped off, but I like looking out of the window and seeing bits of the city as we drive about. It does take longer but if you are in a hotel you'll probably be one of the first to be dropped off. If on a budget it is great and frees up a bit of extra cash for shopping.

We also used the supershuttle to take us to the airport, it does mean you have a hour or so less in the city because they pick you up earlier than say a cab would (in order to pick up other passengers and make sure you all arrive at the airport on time) and we were at the airport in plenty of time for our flight, again my boyfriend and I didn't mind we checked in quickly and went and bought some food and wandered around the shops in the airport. It's a very good budget option if you don't mind losing some time.
  • Cash-Is-King
    Options
    It's $40 for a YELLOW taxi to anywhere in Manhattan. We did this and gave him the standard tip. Quick, efficient and beats lugging cases round etc I would recommend this...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport