[THREAD CLOSED - SEE PART 2] Anything & Everything New York

Options

Comments

• misslopex
    Options
    Hi All

I am off to New York with the other half the week before Christmas and was wondering if anyone had used the Big Apple Greeters service before. Any reccomendations or reviews?

Also, any other Christmass'y NY suggestions (apart from the obvious shopping that is going to be done! woohoo!) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Dudes and dudettes! :o)
  • gregg1
    gregg1 Posts: 3,148 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    briggers wrote: »
    Shopping-wise, I've heard many people love Abercrombie. I don't really and I hated the shop too! I'm only 28 but it's dark, the sales people dance and the music is really loud....I felt sorry for all the poor people, some a lot older than me being dragged around by their teenage children. Having said that, the sales people are all model-like so if you want to ogle some beautiful people, you might like it.

so glad i was not just me who hated this store - whats more, the beautiful staff just stand right at the top of the stairs dancing so you can't get past em! surprised no-one pushed em down the stairs !- even my fashion-loving 16 year old did not like the store (although, sadly that did not prevent her from spending a fortune in it!).

So pleased you liked The Boathouse - it was probably one of the highlights of our trip as well.
  • thatsfabulous
    Options
    briggers wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I guess everyone on here does some research before going on a trip but you might not believe the levels of geekiness I reached. I read every single post on this forum and read lots from tripadvisor too, then made a programme. Anyway, I just wanted to thank all the posters on here for their advice and tips. I had the time of my life.
    We stayed in the Colonial House inn in Chelsea. I would highly recommend both the Inn and Chelsea as an area.
    We went to Wicked at the Gershwin and a basketball game at Madison Square gardens (Knicks versus Boston celtics) where we saw LL Cool J!! To be honest, the seats at the Gershwin were a little disappointing despite paying a fair whack, but the show was great, as was the game.
    Thanks to those who posted about the Boathouse in Central park; probably the highlight of the trip. We went for lunch and the food and the views were top! Another highlight was drinks in the revolving Mariott Marquis. We went at around five o'clock, before it was too busy, and after two yummy cocktails, it was dark and looked great. It didn't open til 4pm so no point in going any earlier than that.
    The horse and carriage ride in Central park was good, but remember the carriage only gets to go on the road-like parts of the park (ie. not very much and not the prettiest bits) so I guess it's one of the only things that we did that I wouldn't recommend strongly. Another thing to possibly miss is Canal Street. Honestly, even if you do like fakes, it's not that impressive. If you do want to see their good stuff I think you have to go behind the counter which is bound to be a stressful experience and remember if you do buy anything, you'll get a bin liner to carry it away. Not very glamourous!
    Thanks also to the posters who recommended the Rockerfeller Centre over Empire State. There were virtually no queues and it was a lovely experience with superb views. We didn't book in advance.
    We sure got our value out of the tour Bus. We spent two days touring Uptown, Downtown, night tours....... It helped get an idea of where everything was. We used City Sights but the Gray line is probably better to be honest as they seemed to have more buses so less waiting time for you. As guides go, I think it's the luck of the draw. We had some who were superb, some who were less so.
    Don't miss walking over the Brooklyn Bridge and the Staten Island Ferry for cool free experiences! I'm sure someone will contradict me but we walked around Staten Island for about 40 minutes looking for somewhere to eat, without success. I'm sorry to say the neighbourhood where the ferry brings you into is a bit of a dump so unless you're going to get the bus further along, just come straight back again.
    Ellis Island is great, but since the ferry that takes you there also takes people to the Statue of Liberty, the queues can be really long, so that's one activity you'll have to get there to Battery park early for (or pre-book). you'll see the Statue really well on both the Staten Island ferry and on the way to Ellis Island so, as other posters have said, in my opinion, it's not worth getting off at the Statue itself.
    Shopping-wise, I've heard many people love Abercrombie. I don't really and I hated the shop too! I'm only 28 but it's dark, the sales people dance and the music is really loud....I felt sorry for all the poor people, some a lot older than me being dragged around by their teenage children. Having said that, the sales people are all model-like so if you want to ogle some beautiful people, you might like it. I thought Tiffanys would be more exciting too...
    I think what you can get in NYC is designer bargains in shops such as Century 21, Filene's Basement, Loehmann's and Burlington Coat Factory. I loved them all but the best buys can still be pricey....thery're just loads cheaper than in the U.K. So if you need a new coat or jeans, you could get a less than half-price on makes such as DKNY, True Religion, Seven Jeans, Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren. Don't know about you but I don't tend to shop in such places here in the U.K. so that was a novelty.
    Finally, a word about duty free. I saved 400 dollars to spend on products such as Clinique, mac, Bobbi Brown...basically make-up and beauty stuff, in the airport. But I travelled with Delta and it turns out that each airline has its own duty free section. So depsite it being JFK, I've seen better shopping in places such as Belfast city or Leeds Bradford! I was very disapponited. I still managed to buy some stuff but the choice was really poor. It might be worth checking out what your duty free will be like.
    Thanks again to everyone who has helped me have the best trip ever. Good luck to anyone going!

Hi I got back from NY just a few days ago and i agree that the Duty free was a let down, i was disappointed also, you could still get clinique dior etc but not a big selection.
    I thought L' Occintine, Clinique mac cheap but other makeup brands like YSL not very cheap infact the radiant touch is cheaper here.

We went to Woodbury common and were expecting better, we thought it would be like cheshire oaks discounted etc however is wasnt for example the L'occintane was no cheaper than the one in the city just had different (older stock)
    The UGG shop is good there, i got some UGGs for $179 and in the city was 230 however it takes up a whole day to go there and its $40 each on bus so i would take all of that into concideration if anyone is concidering going.

We stayed at the Pod hotel which was excellent, very small if we went again would get the double double room as a double bed isnt very big in double room. But its very clean and nice staff, its also in an excellent location can walk to 5th Avenue, Rockefella times square etc.

We didnt get the pass 1,3 days etc that lets you see the sights however we spoke to many people that did and it sounded great, we would defo do this next time we go.

Times square was a bit of a let down, kinda a "is this it?" moment but everything else was great we loved 5th avenue and soho!!

The abercrombie shop on 5th is excellent we loved it its like a nightclub but in a good way, loud music so after a while it does take its toll but great, excellent staff we loved it there. my mum is 52 and i couldnt get her out the shop- each to there own but i like the brand and we loved the shop!!

Bloomingdales was excellent too, wonderfull customer service and not too in your face, we didnt really like Saks for there staff they were very in your face with perfumes and selling you things and you have to go past them all to get to the lifts and the back of the store and we asked a few people for help and they were not very helpfull however in bloomingdales they were falling over themselfs to be helpfull.
    Macys was ok, cheaper than bloomingdales for gifts the bloomingdales however macys had a big selection of "macys" gifts the only thing we found at bloomingdales was the little brown bag no keyrings or anything.
    Centry 21 is great so early though its less busy!!

We went to see hairspray on broadway which was FANTASTIC such a good show so i can recomend it also if you use the website phatbear has put in this thread you can order on ticketmaster before hand and get a great discount, then all you do is pick up your tickets before you go into the theater no trouble and no ques.

We also went for a lovey meal at Tavern on the green in Central park which was excellent also, its not very cheap however affordable and a lovely end to the hoilday.
    Like briggers we also went the Mariott Marquis and loved it as it revolves so you get wonderfull views however if you go after 11pm you have to pay $7pp suppliment so try and go before then if you can.

Finally for anyone who loves sex and the city or cupcakes the Magnolia Bakery featured in the episode is downtown however they have just opened one only been open 2 weeks its right near radio city (cant remember avenue) 6th? Its not the one featured in the episode but saves you going downtown and looking for it cupcakes are great and only $2.50 each, they do some great tshirts in this one too i bought one.

We went to the empire state at night its open till 1am which was wonderfull and no ques and also went to grand central station at night too around 1am, these were things open late (station 24hrs) so its good if you want to fit them in thats what we did and done other things in the day like the shops as shops like bloomingdales shuts at 8.30pm.

Overall had an excellent time, we found near enough everyone including people on the street we asked for help very polite and helpfull, cant wait to go back!!
    Big thanks to Markymoo and phat bear for all the information and help whilst i planned my trip :T
    New York ♥..........These street will make you feel brand new, Big lights will inspire you.
    No place in the world that can compare ♥ 2nd October 2010 ♥
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    misslopex wrote: »
    Hi All

Also, any other Christmass'y NY suggestions (apart from the obvious shopping that is going to be done! woohoo!) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Dudes and dudettes! :o)

The Christmas show at radio City if fantastic and well worth the money, and the crowds to get in.

Also for shopping get yourself down to Centuary 21 by ground zero for the best bargains.

and wrap up well, we were there in dec 2006 and it was freezing with icy winds
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • traveller
    traveller Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, has anyone been to the BAPE store in NY and Is it bigger than the London one?Cheers.
    :A Your Always in my heart, you never ever will be forgotten-9/9/14:heart2:
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,063 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you mean in 'The Untouchables'?
    Probably. The one where they get the mafia through their accountant ...
    I believe that film was set in Chicago
    :rotfl: Which would explain why I couldn't work out which staircase the pram bounced down, but not why DH didn't tell me I was in the wrong station. :confused:
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • peediedj
    peediedj Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Options
    going to nyc in 4 weeks time,just bought a camcorder planning to film a bit of nyc,will the camcorder be ok going thru customs and will they think i bought it in nyc and am taking it back to uk?
    Live in my shoes for a week,then tell me your lifes hard!
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    traveller wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone been to the BAPE store in NY and Is it bigger than the London one?Cheers.

On the last trip we made a trip to the BAPE shop as one of the kids wanted a BAPE t shirt bringing back, if it had'nt been their birthday it wouldnt have happened. $75 for a t shirt with a word on the front I almost passed out, anyway the store is small, ive never been to the london store so cant compare, however its prob 10 foot wide and 30 foot deep and on 2 floors, upstairs just seems to be trainers, about 20 pairs which are nasty as hell, but again maybe I dont "get" the whole bape thing.

All the best

the bear
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    peediedj wrote: »
    going to nyc in 4 weeks time,just bought a camcorder planning to film a bit of nyc,will the camcorder be ok going thru customs and will they think i bought it in nyc and am taking it back to uk?

Will they think, of course they wont need to think anything because you'll be making your way into the red channel to declare it, as to not do so is an offence.

Im sure some will appear soon and say that the chance of you getting stopped will be very very slim, however speaking as one of those people who may be stopping you I can assure you it does happen, and because im an inquisitive type if you have lied about one thing then I would start to wonder what else you have to hide, thats when things get a tad messy.

all the best

the bear
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • jetskidia
    Options
    phatbear wrote: »
    Will they think, of course they wont need to think anything because you'll be making your way into the red channel to declare it,

Why go through the red channel when you have bought the camcorder in the UK:confused::confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure