5p bag charge - your views

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    GBBB wrote: »
    Generally speaking, we have not had problems with the new tax, as we have been shopping with reusable bags for a few years now. So we are avoiding the 5p charge just by keeping a few reusable bags in the boot of the car. They are also easier to carry heavier shopping up the stairs (we live in a flat). I also carry a couple of those folding nylon-like bags inside my handbag, for when I am walking to the shops or using the bus.

The only problem I have found so far is when I need to buy fresh meat and poultry. During the first weeks of the law enforcement, I have asked for bags to wrap poultry I was buying for our Sunday roast, just to be told I would need to pay for them (namely, Tesco and Waitrose). As I had not read enough about the tax to argue, I just paid the 5p and went back home. But that kept nagging me, so I sat down and started searching.

A few weeks on, I have asked for a bag for the poultry again (now knowing that by law they would need to provide one). The lady at the Tesco's customer service quickly run and came back with a fruit bag! Yes, one of those which usually tear anyway if you put a couple of Bramley apples inside.

I was surprised - to say the least - that they were trying to make me wrap fresh poultry in such a thin bag (would might as well mix the chicken with the other shop items, as the fruit bag didn't seem to give much protection anyway).

However, as I have not seen anything stating that they were obliged to give a "proper" carrier bag to wrap fresh meet, I didn't argue.

Would anyone know whether they can really get away with this practice and make us wrap fresh meat/poultry in those thin and inadequate fruit bags?

Thank you!

Have you read enough to know its not a tax?
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,412
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    fuzzgun19 wrote: »
    Err... carrying shopping??

If they look clean I don't see the problem with that taking from the recycle heap. They would probably only be going to be recycled into more carriers that some [STRIKE]fools[/STRIKE] people end up paying for!

Yes they might have been used to carry shopping, they could of also been used to carry a dead cat, who knows. To save 20p there's no way I'd bother.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,442
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Whether the meat is already wrapped or not is irrelevant.

Shops are allowed to give you a carrier bag FOC for uncooked meat or fish if they want to.

Unwrapped is relevant to food generally, but for meat and fish whether it is wrapped or not is irrelevant. Specific provisions apply.

And once again; shops can charge for any bag - paper, plastic, cornstarch, cloth, whatever - that they provide you with. There is no legal entitlement to free bags. But single use carrier bags can be provided FOC in certain circumstances.
    Big_Graeme wrote: »
    It's a single use bag, it doesn't define that it should be a carrier bag, the small bag used in the fruit and veg department is still a single use bag.

I don't understand your point. My post was entirely accurate.

What doesn't define that what should be a carrier bag?

The law requires that charges are made in certain circumstances for carrier bags. If it doesn't have handles, it isn't a carrier bag!
  • fuzzgun19
    fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Zandoni wrote: »
    Yes they might have been used to carry shopping, they could of also been used to carry a dead cat, who knows. To save 20p there's no way I'd bother.
    As long as it didn't have fleas you'd be ok :p
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    Nick_C wrote: »
    The law requires that charges are made in certain circumstances for carrier bags. If it doesn't have handles, it isn't a carrier bag!

The law states that charges have to be made for single use bags, it doesn't state that these must be carrier bags.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,825
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    fuzzgun19 wrote: »
    Err... carrying shopping??

If they look clean I don't see the problem with that taking from the recycle heap. They would probably only be going to be recycled into more carriers that some [STRIKE]fools[/STRIKE] people end up paying for!

It makes more sense to me to re-use the bag than as you say send a perfectly good bag to be recycled into a new one.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    The law states that charges have to be made for single use bags, it doesn't state that these must be carrier bags.

Actually it does specify (bold bits are my edit):

"You must charge at least 5p for single-use carrier bags in England from 5 October 2015 if you’re a large retailer.

You must charge at least 5p a bag (including VAT) for carrier bags that are all of the following:
    •unused - it’s new and hasn’t already been used for sold goods to be taken away or delivered
    •plastic and 70 microns thick or less
    it has handles, an opening and isn’t sealed"

So, no handles = not a carrier bag that must be charged for
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    Yolina wrote: »
    Actually it does specify (bold bits are my edit):

"You must charge at least 5p for single-use carrier bags in England from 5 October 2015 if you’re a large retailer.

You must charge at least 5p a bag (including VAT) for carrier bags that are all of the following:
    •unused - it’s new and hasn’t already been used for sold goods to be taken away or delivered
    •plastic and 70 microns thick or less
    it has handles, an opening and isn’t sealed"

So, no handles = not a carrier bag that must be charged for

Aha, confusing English and Scottish legislation.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,846
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    meer53 wrote: »
    Whats all the fuss about bags for meat ? I don't know any supermarket that will give you meat which is unwrapped, why does it need to go into another bag before it goes into your own shopping bag ? Overkill if you ask me. When my supermarket gives me a piece of raw meat without packaging then i'll kick up a stink.

Then you need to learn the facts about contaminated meat packaging and fast, before you get an unpleasant surprise. It is acknowledged that the majority of poultry in this country is contaminated - and so is the exterior of many of the packs used to contain it.

Sooner or later someone young, old or with a compromised immune system if going to get killed by this idiocy and all the virtue signalling in the world won't make amends.
  • Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    edited 1 November 2015 at 7:36PM
    Aha, confusing English and Scottish legislation.

:DApplies to: England
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family