• A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,846
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Big_Graeme wrote: »
    A figure? Any? Some? None?

Each time there is an outbreak.

More bluster and balls...
    Proof man, where is the proof using the same bag or re-using that bag has any impact on cross contamination.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-news/11637001/Chicken-bug-scandal-worse-than-salmonella-in-80s-and-90s.html

From the above: "The final results of a year-long study by the food watchdog showed one in five fresh whole chilled birds was "highly" contaminated.

Almost 7 per cent of the 4,000 supermarket chickens tested also contained the bacterium on the outside packaging, from which it can easily transfer to other food in a fridge."

Also: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/may/28/supermarket-chickens-contaminated-campylobacter

So in the face of clear evidence that both the birds and the packaging they are in are contaminated, you believe that virtue signalling about plastic carrier bags is more important than avoiding contamination.

"The bacterium causes vomiting and diarrhea among around 280,000 healthy people every year and can kill those with vulnerable immune systems. "

Still, not to worry, eh? Some bloke on the Internet who is worried about plastic carrier bags says there's nothing to be concerned about.
  • Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    There is no evidence that cross contamination when reusing a carrier bag is an issue, if there was then there would have been headlines about it, Wales has been going three years with no free carrier bags, you would have thought that if there was an issue it would have raised its head by now.

But to pander to those who think heaven is falling in on them supermarkets are allowed to give a free bag to those buying fresh raw meat. Anyone else will either have to pay for a bag or find some other way of transporting goods.

It's 5p, get over it, the rest of the UK has and without food poisoning going through the roof as a result of it.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A._Badger wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-news/11637001/Chicken-bug-scandal-worse-than-salmonella-in-80s-and-90s.html

From the above: "The final results of a year-long study by the food watchdog showed one in five fresh whole chilled birds was "highly" contaminated.

Almost 7 per cent of the 4,000 supermarket chickens tested also contained the bacterium on the outside packaging, from which it can easily transfer to other food in a fridge."

Also: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/may/28/supermarket-chickens-contaminated-campylobacter

So in the face of clear evidence that both the birds and the packaging they are in are contaminated, you believe that virtue signalling about plastic carrier bags is more important than avoiding contamination.

"The bacterium causes vomiting and diarrhea among around 280,000 healthy people every year and can kill those with vulnerable immune systems. "

Still, not to worry, eh? Some bloke on the Internet who is worried about plastic carrier bags says there's nothing to be concerned about.

You need to stop reading all the scare stories in the media and use a bit of common sense once in a while. It's really not the huge issue you think it is.

If you're so worried about contamination from wrapping paper, how on earth do you ever get out of a toilet ? Do you wear gloves ? Cos i can guarantee that not everyone who visits the toilet washes their hands. Get some perspective.
  • fuzzgun19
    fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I bought some crisps from the outdoor market today, they didn't charge for the bag. Another one for my re-use collection :)
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,442
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    meer53 wrote: »

If you're so worried about contamination from wrapping paper, how on earth do you ever get out of a toilet ?

I use a paper towel or toilet tissue.
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I've bagged (no pun intended) 4 freebies today, 1 from the butcher, & 3 from off the market with my fruit & veg. Also it's amazing how much rubbish an empty bread bag will hold too, & they're quite strong.
  • Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    DUKE wrote: »
    I've bagged (no pun intended) 4 freebies today, 1 from the butcher, & 3 from off the market with my fruit & veg. Also it's amazing how much rubbish an empty bread bag will hold too, & they're quite strong.

And it is amazing how much good we'll all do if we support local traders like that.
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274
    Forumite
    A._Badger wrote: »
    A/ How many do you need?

B/ Has any research been undertaken?

C/ Given that it has taken decades for the current research to have been undertaken and published why take the gamble with public health?

If you think its a problem , then buy a separate bag , surely for the sake of 5p you would rather be safe then sorry
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    pelirocco wrote: »
    If you think its a problem , then buy a separate bag , surely for the sake of 5p you would rather be safe then sorry

I think you will find that A.Badger believes there is shadowy people following him everywhere!!:cool: :cool::cool: ;)

To be honest with newspaper reports, read the ones on The Daily Mail site. Reporting one thing one week then the total opposite the next.

Unless I can sit and read the original report the media reporting is based upon, I tend to take it all with a pitch of salt.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,846
    Forumite
    robin58 wrote: »
    I think you will find that A.Badger believes there is shadowy people following him everywhere!!:cool: :cool::cool: ;)

To be honest with newspaper reports, read the ones on The Daily Mail site. Reporting one thing one week then the total opposite the next.

Unless I can sit and read the original report the media reporting is based upon, I tend to take it all with a pitch of salt.

No you don't. If you were of a sceptical turn of mind you wouldn't have have swallowed the Daily Mail's campaign to get plastic carriers charged for. You would have done some research into the subject of the EU's mandatory landfill taxes and the alternatives, including methane 'farming', You would know something about the seriousness of the health implications and you wouldn't be trying to show off on an Internet forum, only to succeed at proving how ready you are to believe tabloid newspaper and pressure group hype.

As for other comments about a general lack of hygiene and whether it matters, the confirmed 280,000 food poisoning cases p.a. say it all. With the annual outbreaks of norovirus about to kick off soon, it's not hard to see how it spreads if people are so irresponsible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure