5p bag charge - your views

Comments

• robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    A._Badger wrote: »
    No you don't. If you were of a sceptical turn of mind you wouldn't have have swallowed the Daily Mail's campaign to get plastic carriers charged for. You would have done some research into the subject of the EU's mandatory landfill taxes and the alternatives, including methane 'farming', You would know something about the seriousness of the health implications and you wouldn't be trying to show off on an Internet forum, only to succeed at proving how ready you are to believe tabloid newspaper and pressure group hype.

As for other comments about a general lack of hygiene and whether it matters, the confirmed 280,000 food poisoning cases p.a. say it all. With the annual outbreaks of norovirus about to kick off soon, it's not hard to see how it spreads if people are so irresponsible.

Err. Before you preach about what I do and don't know. I DO follow and read, detailed, professional reports concerning issues.

The difference is I don't come on hear and make everybody else think they know sweet F.A.

As for the Daily Mail reports about plastic bags, I think one article about avoiding the 5p bag charge was to bring your own bags, which was the point of the charge, says it all.

And I don't believe half what is said in newspapers or TV or radio for that matter.

The 'News' industry is a snake which feeds upon itself for the news.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    robin58 wrote: »
    Err. Before you preach about what I do and don't know. I DO follow and read, detailed, professional reports concerning issues.

The difference is I don't come on hear and make everybody else think they know sweet F.A..

'Preach'? Remind me who opened with juvenile comments about paranoid behaviour.
    As for the Daily Mail reports about plastic bags, I think one article about avoiding the 5p bag charge was to bring your own bags, which was the point of the charge, says it all.

You are clearly quite out of touch with the facts here. The Mail ran a major campaign on this subject, whipping up its readers into a happy froth, which suited cynical politicians perfectly, enabling them to take advantage of the gullible.

Even as recently as 2008, before it realised it could capitalise on the government's gesture politics, Tony Juniper, head of Friends of the Earth said: "But until supermarkets reduce the energy used in their stores, minimise food miles and treat farmers better, saving a few plastic bags is just window dressing."

I'll leave it to others to decide who really does know 'F.A,' as you so eloquently put it. I've got better things to do with my time.
  • Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    As for other comments about a general lack of hygiene and whether it matters, the confirmed 280,000 food poisoning cases p.a. say it all. With the annual outbreaks of norovirus about to kick off soon, it's not hard to see how it spreads if people are so irresponsible.

How long do such viruses live on a surface like a plastic bag?
  • Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    Big_Graeme wrote: »
    How long do such viruses live on a surface like a plastic bag?

Depends on the type of virus and bacteria, anything from a few hours to over a week
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2015 at 9:35PM
    'Preach'? Remind me who opened with juvenile comments about paranoid behaviour.

You are clearly quite out of touch with the facts here. The Mail ran a major campaign on this subject, whipping up its readers into a happy froth, which suited cynical politicians perfectly, enabling them to take advantage of the gullible.

Even as recently as 2008, before it realised it could capitalise on the government's gesture politics, Tony Juniper, head of Friends of the Earth said: "But until supermarkets reduce the energy used in their stores, minimise food miles and treat farmers better, saving a few plastic bags is just window dressing."

I'll leave it to others to decide who really does know 'F.A,' as you so eloquently put it. I've got better things to do with my time.

Well, well you will not believe it but I do share some of your concerns. But the world has moved on since the early 60's,70's and 80's.

The remark by Tony Juniper I do actually agree on. The trouble is the general public has got carried away with the great supermarket 'benefit' to the world.

I am of an age of when there was once a great choice of where I could buy meat plus fruit and veg. Most of these independent shops have disappeared in my town. There is only a couple left, mainly due to the custom they provide but they will go in due course.

I mourn the lose of these shops.

I am glad that there is now a great hate of the big supermarkets.

As for the Daily Mail, most of the people who you said were 'whipped up' , I think you need to read the comments online. Most of these 'whipped people' were taking the p out of the Daily Mail and it's reporting.

And one thing I must say here, I read The Daily Mail online because it's easy accessible. I don't and I repeat DON'T believe 3/4 qtrs of what it says. To me they are compatible to the other rag, The Sun.

I find it quite concerning how you love to repeat with glee about them.

As for the bag issue, something had to be done.

The supermarkets could have just stopped giving away the bags and just make you buy them. But they did not.

I have, before this charge came in , been offered 9 free bags in one visit to my town. I turned down all of them bar 1 due to what I was buying.

Sometimes the only way to herd cats, is to slowly give them some guidance in the right direction. That is what the charge was for.

Seems to have worked in Wales and Scotland.

PS The 'paranoid behavior'. comment was in jest to the comment you put on another thread about 'Did we go to the moon?' Please read your own comment you wrote on that thread.

Remember that, sometimes a point will get across better if you sweeten it a bit, instead of being bitter.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Big_Graeme
    Yolina wrote: »
    Depends on the type of virus and bacteria, anything from a few hours to over a week

The ones that seem to be the issue here from meat wrappers.
  • Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    edited 3 November 2015 at 1:03PM
    I think that these are in the several hours range on surfaces like plastic, longer at lower temperatures like in a fridge. It's stuff like norovirus that can live for a week and longer.

I'm more concerned about packaging leaking rather than anything else, hence why I now just grab an extra veg bag or 2 if I'm going to buy meat from somewhere that doesn't automatically give you one at the checkout.
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    I am glad that there is now a great hate of the big supermarkets.
    But this is not a thing, not really.

It is about as constant as enthusiasm for twelve billion pounds of welfare cuts - what do you mean I voted for my benefits to be reduced?
  • Big_Graeme
    Yolina wrote: »
    I think that these are in the several hours range on surfaces like plastic, longer at lower temperatures like in a fridge. It's stuff like norovirus that can live for a week and longer.

I'm more concerned about packaging leaking rather than anything else, hence why I now just grab an extra veg bag or 2 if I'm going to buy meat from somewhere that doesn't automatically give you one at the checkout.

The lack of a fresh carrier bag is not going to do anything about norovirus, the food poisoning bacteria won't live more than a few hours on a hard surface like plastic.
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Big_Graeme wrote: »
    The lack of a fresh carrier bag is not going to do anything about norovirus, the food poisoning bacteria won't live more than a few hours on a hard surface like plastic.
    A bit longer than that.
    http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/how-long-do-bacteria-and-viruses-live-outside-the-body.aspx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure