5p bag charge - your views

edited 2 October 2015 at 11:59AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
769 replies 124K views
1293032343577

Replies

  • A._BadgerA._Badger Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    robin58 wrote: »
    Not if it saves a life.


    Anything that makes it a tad harder to do is OK by me.

    Literally anything? Then how about making the bottles unopenable? Or, better still, banning it altogether?

    Where do you stop in your quest?

    It's this lack of proportionality that characterises so much nanny nonsense - the plaintive 'If it saves just one life...' which is never justified by any verifiable statistics and causes heaven knows how much inconvenience and waste.

    Plastic carriers are a good case in point. We will never know how much benefit accrues from the ban, nor how much harm, and it will probably be used to justify yet another bout of nannying in another few years (cf. smoking bans and the clamour for 'food taxes').
  • A._BadgerA._Badger Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stompa wrote: »
    But it looks like this legislation may mean they're less likely to succeed:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21370910

    Yet another 'medical' study designed to find the result that justifies what they set out to prove? The Daily Mail is filled with them every day.
  • edited 31 October 2015 at 12:11AM
    robin58robin58 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    edited 31 October 2015 at 12:11AM
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Literally anything? Then how about making the bottles unopenable? Or, better still, banning it altogether?

    Where do you stop in your quest?

    It's this lack of proportionality that characterises so much nanny nonsense - the plaintive 'If it saves just one life...' which is never justified by any verifiable statistics and causes heaven knows how much inconvenience and waste.

    Plastic carriers are a good case in point. We will never know how much benefit accrues from the ban, nor how much harm, and it will probably be used to justify yet another bout of nannying in another few years (cf. smoking bans and the clamour for 'food taxes').

    As usual you talk out of your !!!.

    The whole point of selling them in packs of 16 were to stop people taking 100 tablets in one go like my friend. By they way at the time she took them you could also buy 50's but she wanted to make sure.

    'If it saves just one life...' which is never justified by any verifiable statistics and causes heaven knows how much inconvenience and waste.

    What about the waste of NHS time and resources of having to pump out the persons stomach and giving them an antidote to the effect of the tablets (liver damage).

    Plus 5 days inpatient time and then the physiological follow up by a psychiatrist to find out why they did it.

    That's what happened to my friend. Cheap it wasn't.

    Or perhaps you don't care for anybody else but yourself.....
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Roxy07Roxy07 Forumite
    498 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    fuzzgun19 wrote: »
    I forgot my bag this morning in Morrisons, too much to carry, so just took it all out to the car in the hand basket, put it onto a bag in my car and left the basket in the trolley bay!

    I will NOT pay 5p for a bag.

    If I'd not had the car I would have crammed as much as I could into my handbag.

    Top trick. Also same for a taxi.

    Let's be economical guys. Think outside the box.
  • frugalmacdugalfrugalmacdugal Forumite
    7.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,
    fuzzgun19 wrote: »
    I forgot my bag this morning in Morrisons, too much to carry, so just took it all out to the car in the hand basket, put it onto a bag in my car and left the basket in the trolley bay!

    I will NOT pay 5p for a bag.

    If I'd not had the car I would have crammed as much as I could into my handbag.

    Not allowed to take baskets outside from my local supermarkets, security or staff will usually stop you, it's just like stealing.

    Quite right NOT paying the 5p, it's not a lot of efffort to scrunch a bag up and stuff in pocket or your handbag.
    Y'all take care now.
    happy0207.gif

  • StompaStompa Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Yet another 'medical' study designed to find the result that justifies what they set out to prove?
    If you say so.
    Stompa
  • marbellamarbella Forumite
    842 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    M&S have stopped charging for flower bags now
  • ceewashceewash Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    How can charity shops still get away with pushing 2-3 plastic bags through the door each day? What happens to all these?
  • edited 31 October 2015 at 1:32PM
    YolinaYolina Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 October 2015 at 1:32PM
    marbella wrote: »
    M&S have stopped charging for flower bags now

    They weren't supposed to charge in the first place...

    "You don’t charge for plastic bags that are for:
    •uncooked fish and fish products
    •uncooked meat, poultry and their products
    •unwrapped food for animal or human consumption - eg chips, or food in containers that aren’t secure enough to prevent leakage during handling
    •unwrapped loose seeds
    •flowers
    •bulbs, corms or rhizomes (roots, stems and shoots, such as ginger).
    •goods contaminated by soil (like potatoes or plants)"


    I've noticed that my Sainsburys are being sensible and stick pre-packaged meat in the small veg-type bags for free at the checkout, whilst others seem to insist that these bags must be paid for too (or it could just be an over-zealous checkout assistant) I think I'm going to take a printout of the DEFRA page with me :D
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    ceewash wrote: »
    How can charity shops still get away with pushing 2-3 plastic bags through the door each day? What happens to all these?

    I'm using mine for bin liners now. They used to go straight in the bin. They are very welcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals