5p bag charge - your views

edited 2 October 2015 at 11:59AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
769 replies 124K views

Replies

• robin58robin58 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Nick_C wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh. The cashier was possibly ill informed and chose her words poorly. I think lying involves an intent to deceive. It's more than getting something wrong.

When you said in an earlier post that it is illegal to sell three packets of 16 paracetamol I didn't accuse you of lying. You were merely mistaken.
    Unfortunately Nick_C;69427908, Doom_and_Gloom is right
    , it is illegal for any shop to sell more than 32 tablets at a time.

But there is one exception when buying at a Pharmacist where they can assess your condition (either mental or physical ) before they sell them to you.

Personally I thought the 32 tablet limit was a bit ridiculous as if you really want to kill yourself and take more tablets you just have to go to another shop.

To give you an idea, there are 7 shops at the top of my high street within 1 minute of each other.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
    2.8K Posts
    As for the 5p charge on bags I think it is a good idea. It helps the environment yes but also it puts lets pressure on a finite source that people use as if infinite!
    Yes it would be good if we could reduce/eliminate the need for plastics in other areas of our lives too but I think plastic bags for shopping is atrocious. Use cloth bags that can be added to your usual washes with minimal hassle.

I've already had enough of customers b******g about the charge for the bags. Bring your own for crying out loud, then you don't have to pay for bags, simples. People remember their wallet, keys etc and even an umbrella in case it rains but for some reason say that remembering bags is too difficult. Seriously? I honestly feel like hitting my head against the counter when some people say why it's difficult to remember bags. It's not difficult at all. People have just become lazy as they were used to bags being at stores, not giving them a second thought as they were free.

Blame the supermarkets and other outlets.

It was them who stated to giveaway bags for free.

This has put everybody in a mind set of not bothering to take a bag with them.

After awhile the withdrawal pain of not having a bag and then paying for it, will subsided and the English will then step inline with the rest of the country.

Personally I did not find it hard to not go out with a bag. But then I was alive before the freebie bag syndrome started and we as a family had to take our own bags when shopping.
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • edited 29 October 2015 at 7:28PM
    Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 October 2015 at 7:28PM
    It is illegal for shops to sell more than 32 pills of painkillers, in other words two usual packs. It doesn't matter what kind they are.
    http://www.govyou.co.uk/over-the-counter-painkillers/

robin58 wrote: »
    Unfortunately Nick_C;69427908, Doom_and_Gloom is right
    , it is illegal for any shop to sell more than 32 tablets at a time

Sorry guys, that's not the case. You can legally buy 6 packs of 16 paracetamol. You won't find many shops who will sell them to you.

The two pack limit is Guidance from the MHRA (Medicines & Healthcare products Regulatory Agency). It is not the law.

To quote from the Guidance;
    Sales of medicines for pain relief should be restricted to a maximum of two packs in any one transaction.

What does the law say?

The maximum pack size for pain relief medicines in a general sale outlet is 16 tablets or capsules. A pharmacy may sell larger packs containing up to 32 tablets or capsules under the supervision of a pharmacist.

It is illegal to sell more than 100 tablets or capsules of either paracetamol or aspirin in any one retail transaction.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/407287/Appendix_4_-_Blue_Guide.pdf

The relevant legislation is Reg 236 of the Human Medicines Regulations (2012) (permitting up to 100 paracetamol to be sold without prescription) and Schedule 15 Para 1 of the same regulations (restriction to pack sizes for general sale).

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/1916/pdfs/uksi_20121916_en.pdf

Its a PITA, and I stock up on Tylenol and Advil when I'm in the States. You can get packs of 100 Tylenol/paracetamol and 1000 Advil/Ibuprofen.

Another case of Nanny State interfering in our lives.
  • Nick_C wrote: »

:D Sometimes Nanny knows best.
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Big_Graeme wrote: »
    :D Sometimes Nanny knows best.

Sometimes perhaps, but not in this case.

A supermarket will happily sell you two packs of 16 times 500 mg.

12g is a potentially fatal dose.

So this silly guidance is just causing needless inconvenience.

Anyone planning to kill themselves will do it anyway.
  • fuzzgun19fuzzgun19 Forumite
    7.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I forgot my bag this morning in Morrisons, too much to carry, so just took it all out to the car in the hand basket, put it onto a bag in my car and left the basket in the trolley bay!

I will NOT pay 5p for a bag.

If I'd not had the car I would have crammed as much as I could into my handbag.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • fuzzgun19 wrote: »
    I forgot my bag this morning in Morrisons, too much to carry, so just took it all out to the car in the hand basket, put it onto a bag in my car and left the basket in the trolley bay!

I will NOT pay 5p for a bag.

If I'd not had the car I would have crammed as much as I could into my handbag.

fuzzgun19 wrote: »
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!

Really? Mmm...
  • chaniechanie Forumite
    3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    TheBanker wrote: »
    Before the tax came in, I once bought some items in the wonderful Primark. They were only small items (socks or something similar) and I said I didn't need a bag as they could go in the bag I had with me from another shop.

The cashier insisted that I must take a bag. I told her I didn't want one. She told me all customers must have a bag. I said I did not want to waste the earth's valuable natural resources. She said if she sold me the item without a bag she would be breaking the law. I said she was talking nonsense. She told me she was not going to sell me the item and threatened to get security to throw me out.

:eek::eek:

How ridiculous.

I made a point of reducing my plastic bag uptake a few years ago, as I found we had no room for them all. Despite this,we still have a large stash. I guess that's because we don't often use them e.g. we take the reusable bags food shopping and I take a shopper when I'm going to town.
    2021 savings on purchases £2798.79
  • StompaStompa Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    A supermarket will happily sell you two packs of 16 times 500 mg.

12g is a potentially fatal dose.

So this silly guidance is just causing needless inconvenience.

Anyone planning to kill themselves will do it anyway.

But it looks like this legislation may mean they're less likely to succeed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21370910
    Stompa
    2.8K Posts

Not if it saves a life.

I had a friend who took 100 tablets in one go when they used to be sold in bottles of 100's.

Luckily she got help by her sister finding out what she had done and being dragged to hospital.

Anything that makes it a tad harder to do is OK by me.
    How little I know.!! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams