5p bag charge - your views

edited 2 October 2015 at 11:59AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
769 replies 124K views

Replies

• Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    marbella wrote: »
    M&S have stopped charging for flower bags now
    Yolina wrote: »
    They weren't supposed to charge in the first place...

"You don’t charge for plastic bags that are for:
    •flowers

The guidance is badly worded.

Retailers are free to charge for every plastic bag they give you, whatever it is for, and they can charge you for paper bags as well if they chose to. There is simply no compulsion to charge for plastic bags in some circumstances.
  • fuzzgun19fuzzgun19 Forumite
    7.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Big_Graeme wrote: »

Really? Mmm...

Yes.. have you been trouted?
    Hi,

Not allowed to take baskets outside from my local supermarkets, security or staff will usually stop you, it's just like stealing.

Quite right NOT paying the 5p, it's not a lot of efffort to scrunch a bag up and stuff in pocket or your handbag.
    Again, rubbish. The SA saw me doing it and didn't bat an eye, and I'll do the same again if need be.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • YolinaYolina Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nick_C wrote: »
    The guidance is badly worded.

Retailers are free to charge for every plastic bag they give you, whatever it is for, and they can charge you for paper bags as well if they chose to. There is simply no compulsion to charge for plastic bags in some circumstances.

Yes, but that should stop them telling me that "but we have to, it's the new law" ;) If they want to charge for bags that they aren't obliged to charge for, fine, but at least they should own up to it being their decision rather than something they must do.
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • fuzzgun19 wrote: »
    Yes.. have you been trouted?

Trouted?

You are going a long way to save the odd 5p yet you hate jobsworths.
  • TheBankerTheBanker Forumite
    711 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    fuzzgun19 wrote: »
    I forgot my bag this morning in Morrisons, too much to carry, so just took it all out to the car in the hand basket, put it onto a bag in my car and left the basket in the trolley bay!

I will NOT pay 5p for a bag.

My Morrisons has the empty fruit boxes stacked behind the checkouts for you to take - these are fine for carrying a few items out to the car if you forget a bag.

I saw someone helping himself to carrier bags from the recycling bin in Asda. I don't think I'd want to put my groceries in someone else's old bag, which they had deemed only worthy of recycling. (I assume people who make the effort to take bags back for recycling will only do so when the bag is not usable any more)
    Make £10 a day challenge: Jan-18: £330 / £400
  • Generally speaking, we have not had problems with the new tax, as we have been shopping with reusable bags for a few years now. So we are avoiding the 5p charge just by keeping a few reusable bags in the boot of the car. They are also easier to carry heavier shopping up the stairs (we live in a flat). I also carry a couple of those folding nylon-like bags inside my handbag, for when I am walking to the shops or using the bus.

The only problem I have found so far is when I need to buy fresh meat and poultry. During the first weeks of the law enforcement, I have asked for bags to wrap poultry I was buying for our Sunday roast, just to be told I would need to pay for them (namely, Tesco and Waitrose). As I had not read enough about the tax to argue, I just paid the 5p and went back home. But that kept nagging me, so I sat down and started searching.

A few weeks on, I have asked for a bag for the poultry again (now knowing that by law they would need to provide one). The lady at the Tesco's customer service quickly run and came back with a fruit bag! Yes, one of those which usually tear anyway if you put a couple of Bramley apples inside.

I was surprised - to say the least - that they were trying to make me wrap fresh poultry in such a thin bag (would might as well mix the chicken with the other shop items, as the fruit bag didn't seem to give much protection anyway).

However, as I have not seen anything stating that they were obliged to give a "proper" carrier bag to wrap fresh meet, I didn't argue.

Would anyone know whether they can really get away with this practice and make us wrap fresh meat/poultry in those thin and inadequate fruit bags?

Thank you!
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Meat and poultry - they can give you a free bag if they want to, it's their choice. Personally, I think the thin plastic bags that you get for fruit and veg are fine for meat and poultry as well. They should contain any leakage.

Cling film is much thinner, but is what we use at home.
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are not obliged to give you free bags for meat/poultry, they just aren't obliged by law to charge got them.
    If their practices are unacceptable then go elsewhere and tell the duty manager you aren't shopping there.
  • GBBB wrote: »
    Would anyone know whether they can really get away with this practice and make us wrap fresh meat/poultry in those thin and inadequate fruit bags?

As the meat is wrapped before it goes into one of those bags then yes they can do that.
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Big_Graeme wrote: »
    As the meat is wrapped before it goes into one of those bags then yes they can do that.

Whether the meat is already wrapped or not is irrelevant.

Shops are allowed to give you a carrier bag FOC for uncooked meat or fish if they want to.

Unwrapped is relevant to food generally, but for meat and fish whether it is wrapped or not is irrelevant. Specific provisions apply.

And once again; shops can charge for any bag - paper, plastic, cornstarch, cloth, whatever - that they provide you with. There is no legal entitlement to free bags. But single use carrier bags can be provided FOC in certain circumstances.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals