Stoptober 2015 Hub - Join the challenges and more

Options

Comments

• Millennium
    Options
    My partner and I both stopped smoking two years ago in October. I bought two copies of Alan Carr's (not the comedian) Easy Way to Stop Smoking and we both stopped that day. We both sat and read from start to finish.
    He tells you all the reasons why you smoke, and why it's hard to stop, then tells you the easy way!
    The beauty is you musn't stop smoking until the end of the book. Read a few reviews on Amazon.
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Thanks Millennium and congrats!

Has anyone else used Alan Carr and successfully given up?
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Day 6!

Don't forget to tell us in our Stoptober poll if you've given up this month!

A bit of clothes folding may keep you busy - although maybe not as long as it would without this lifehack!

Join the MSE Forum
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I stopped smoking in March 2014 and have been vaping ever since. I just decided one night before going to bed that I would not smoke ever again. I went on to patches the following morning and the mist spray but I was walking up the walls so decided to try vaping. Thankfully that worked for me. I started on 16mg, then 11mg and now I am on 6mg. So if others are thinking of vaping I would say give it a go but be careful which brand you choose because some are absolutely dreadful and taste nothing like cigarettes but cigars. YUK!!!

Good luck to all that are going to give it a go. It is not easy but you will get there.

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    A week in!

Who's still with us?

Join the MSE Forum
  • cluckyhen
    cluckyhen Posts: 654 Forumite
    First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor Debt-free and Proud! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Day 2 of no smokes for me! Having turned into a gym bunny earlier in the year I had said once I got to a place I was happy with the next bit would be my cardio - which would mean no ciggies. Having just had the worst cold/cough going I kindly passed it onto the hubster - who then said 'I think we should quit smoking' (the words I was waiting to hear).

Once he said that I said once the baccy had run out I wouldn't buy anymore.

I should have guessed that he wouldn't stick to it - he's also become a little overweight and for the last year has been on and off healthy eating....so when he eats healthy I've eaten what he has and he has lost zilch (turns out he's been eating haribo - lots of).

Bought a vape stick with menthol liquid. As I work from home I still take my break outside, with my ipad, candy crush and stick for company and have actually been ok. There were a couple of points yesterday when I felt like throttling my peers - good job they work with me down the phone.....but I had a double session in the gym and was positively buzzing when I came home. Even hubby having a smoke near me didn't tempt me.

Biggest draw back - getting in the car yesterday....I should have pre planned and either stuck lots of air fresheners in or left the windows open. It smelt vile!

Good luck to all xxx
    Back to comping after a couple of years overseas
    Good Luck Everyone
  • chickadeedee
    Options
    Today marks the start for me, after 25 years of being a smoker, I tried to give up a few times before (cold turkey style), but never really lasted more than a day, my heart just wasn't in it , this time though I feel differently, I have a focus, my focus is my daughter, I really do want to quit, since having my daughter 2 and half years ago I've thought more and more about the future, I don't want to be plagued with smoking related illnesses, I want to see her grow up, leave school, get married etc and I am quite excited at the prospect of becoming a non smoker. This time round I have support from my family & an advisor I also have a little help as I have been given the patches and quickmist spray, I've been up since 7.30, put on a patch immediately, after 2 hours I had to take it off as it made me feel nauseous, so I had a blast of the spray and nearly ruddy choked myself on it, so now I'm sat here with no patch and I daren't try the spray again, but I'm not having any cravings atm moment, lol I may feel different when the boys come home from school, but I'm determined no matter what I will not put another cigarette to my lips.
  • CKgeordieinlondon
    CKgeordieinlondon Posts: 92 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2015 at 3:09PM
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »

Ex smokers who gave up using ecigarettes - how long did it take you to stop vaping?

I'd be interested to know that.
    When I gave up 9 years ago. I used nicotine pastilles. It took about three months to get off the cigarettes and another 12 to get off the pastilles.
    I used extra strong mints to get me off the pastilles and haven't touched one since.

Good look to everyone and don't forget to put aside the money you would have spent. My mother did that and saved up enough for new dining room furniture.
    Wheras I didn't and was just left wondering where the money came from
  • MoJo
    MoJo Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not doing Stoptober but working my own way toward quitting.

I'd like to ask if any Vapers have recommendations for which e-cigs are best?

I've tried one but it stopped recharging. I also made the mistake of going menthol which didn't help me at all, sadly. I want to try again with tobacco liquid but would appreciate some help on which product to go for.

Cheers! and good luck to all doing Stoptober.
  • Donnylover
    Options
    MoJo wrote: »
    I'm not doing Stoptober but working my own way toward quitting.

I'd like to ask if any Vapers have recommendations for which e-cigs are best?

I've tried one but it stopped recharging. I also made the mistake of going menthol which didn't help me at all, sadly. I want to try again with tobacco liquid but would appreciate some help on which product to go for.

Cheers! and good luck to all doing Stoptober.

I've tried lots of different vaping systems. The batteries only last a few months before they give up the ghost (the very small print tells you that on websites)

I can't stand the tobacco flavour liquids and I tried vanilla but didn't like that either. Lots of people like the fruit flavours but I'm not buying new flavours just to find out I don't like them!

Menthol works for me but then I was smoking menthol cigarettes for the last couple of years before I stopped.

Family would like me to give up vaping altogether and maybe one day I will but for now I'm happy doing it.

Good luck - hope you find one that works for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure