DBS Single Offence Check

Comments

• andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    If an employer wants me to work for them then they pay. I don't care that I need a job I will never pay for a check.

Then all I can say, is that you do not need a job badly enough.
    It is all very well sticking to your principles, but not if it hurts you in the long run.
    Employers know what they can get away with, and all the time people vote in Conservatives, then employees will find themselves losing more and more rights.
  • lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    "If I would like to volunteer for a charity then they pay all the expenses involved to get me to work for them and that will require them to pay."

HappyMJ and anyone else who is interested, in the instance above where there is no payment other than expenses, the DRB check is free. I think it's item 68 on the form, but don't quote me on that because I did not take a copy of the DRB form I submitted to our local school on Friday last. I did, however, telephone the help line to ascertain that ticking the volunteer box was correct.

On the larger issue, the DRB check costs £44, not £99, it's a scam.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    pmduk wrote: »
    My Local Community Leisure Trust requires applicants to pay for their DBS checks from their first 4 payments so don't make such sweeping statements

That is a totally different scenario. The employee cannot be scammed in that situation. However, it is still true that the DBS check is a 'cost of doing business' and employees should not have to pay for that, anymore that they have to chip in for the electricity the company uses.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    usefulmale wrote: »
    That is a totally different scenario. The employee cannot be scammed in that situation. However, it is still true that the DBS check is a 'cost of doing business' and employees should not have to pay for that, anymore that they have to chip in for the electricity the company uses.

"should not have to pay for that"
    That is of course true, but unfortunately in times like this where people are desperate to find work, unscrupulous employers will exploit them.:(
  • This is defiantly a scam made by variations of the same company who appear to still be ‘trading’ - Smarter Energy, Madeem Recruit, 556Clothing, Bulk Energy etc.

You get a 10minute phone interview consisting of around 3or4 questions, followed by email confirmation a few days later saying you’ve got the job but need to complete a DBS Single/Specific Offence Check via the site onlineukdisclosures.com ASAP. The check usually costs around £95 and you may not be able to pay by card.

Make sure you find where their office is, and if ever in doubt report it to safer-jobs.com and
    newsdesk@watchdogmagazine.com
  • gembom
    gembom Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 2 November 2015 at 7:28PM
    Recently I received a email saying they had a found my CV on-line and they were interested in holding a telephone interview with me. I booked it in for that night. I had the interview and they said they would contact me at a later time.
    The next day I received 2 more emails. One congratulating me on successfully getting the job and a second one explaining I would need a DBS check but as they are not legally allowed to gain this for me I would have to do it and they would pay me back at a later time.
    I have had these checks before and normally my new employer arranges and pays for these but i still looked into. I was already suspicious about this job offer and after goggling them I could find anything the the name Local media advertising ltd. I searched the company from the emails which is winning-websites That came up with something.
    They also sent me a contract ia email with the address of the office and a company number IE062293.
    Non of this information is on Company House.

The email they sent me also had a link on it.
    This directs you to a page where you can purchase DBS Specific Offence Check.
    I rang the DBS hotline 0300 0200 190
    They had never heard of this check. The only place to get this Specific Offence check is on the link they provided. It cost £99.99.

I may be wrong and this is a legitimate company, but some thing doesn't feel right about it and I think if they are getting £99.99 out of people just trying to work its horrible.
  • gembom wrote: »
    Recently I received a email saying they had a found my CV on-line and they were interested in holding a telephone interview with me. I booked it in for that night. I had the interview and they said they would contact me at a later time.
    The next day I received 2 more emails. One congratulating me on successfully getting the job and a second one explaining I would need a DBS check but as they are not legally allowed to gain this for me I would have to do it and they would pay me back at a later time.
    I have had these checks before and normally my new employer arranges and pays for these but i still looked into. I was already suspicious about this job offer and after goggling them I could find anything the the name Local media advertising ltd. I searched the company from the emails which is winning-websites That came up with something.
    They also sent me a contract ia email with the address of the office and a company number IE062293.
    Non of this information is on Company House.

The email they sent me also had a link on it.
    This directs you to a page where you can purchase DBS Specific Offence Check.
    I rang the DBS hotline 0300 0200 190
    They had never heard of this check. The only place to get this Specific Offence check is on the link they provided. It cost £99.99.

I may be wrong and this is a legitimate company, but some thing doesn't feel right about it and I think if they are getting £99.99 out of people just trying to work its horrible.

Sounds like the same scam company using yet another name or someone else trying the same scam.
  • Hi, this sounds like exactly what I applied for. Was the company called Smarter Energy, by any chance?
  • Have read the whole thread and now I feel sick as I, being extremely gullible, have lost £99 and given all my personal details to them. Great.
  • No I was dealing with a s called company call Local Media Advertising.

They are very believable.

Report them to the fraud team.

Hope you get it sorted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills