IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

ParkingEye fine Tower Road Newquay

Options

Comments

• PTJBS05
    PTJBS05 Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Although I don't have time to read this just now as I am working late, I wanted to thank you for this help. I am only grateful that you had time to write it and I look forward to reading it as soon as I can digest it properly. - BIG THANKS
  • PTJBS05
    Options
    Oh gosh how can I put this.........ok, the advice has been great and I am wholly grateful. The bottom line is I am not very literate and I am really struggling.

I am not lazy and I have read thread after thread after Newbies thread after successful appeals, and even with every spare minute I get from my job and young children I am not producing a very good appeal even though most is copied and pasted and its making me REALLY nervous that I am making a fool of myself.

I am worried that some bits of the appeal are too obviously pasted, also that some things ie the Beavis Paragraph maybe out of date.

Bottom line is as much as I read I don't fully understand and this is preventing me to finish my draft. I am fast running out of time too.

I have in my head considered just paying it because I am not intelligent enough to understand what I am doing,

There you have it, an admission of not being very well educated ;o)

However I will post it , you will see I have doctored it to reflect the great advice from Coupon Mad, but have I understood all the suggestions.......No. I admit.

Does anyone think this is good enough before I send it ? I am about to throw the towel in.

Thanks all I will post it in a second
  • PTJBS05
    Options
    Re: ParkingEye PCN, reference code
    POPLA Code:

I am the registered keeper and I wish to appeal a recent parking charge from ParkingEye. I submit the points below to show that I am not liable for the parking charge:

1) No genuine pre-estimate of loss
    2) The Notice to Keeper is not compliant with the POFA 2012 - no keeper liability.
    3) No standing or authority to pursue charges nor form contracts with drivers.
    4) The signage was ambiguous and unclear
    5) The ANPR system is unreliable and neither synchronised nor accurate - evidence does not discount two visits shown as one.

1) No genuine pre-estimate of loss
    This car park is Pay and Display and as far as I can ascertain as keeper, a payment was made. Having received the Notice in the post I had very little information (see point #2) so went and checked the signage and it seems that up to 2 hours would have cost £3.50 so the only recoverable sum under the POFA 2012 is the sum of the alleged 'outstanding' parking charge = £3.50 at the most. Parking Eye have not told me these details, despite it being a prerequisite of Schedule 4 (see point #2).

The Operator cannot reasonably claim a broad percentage of their entire business running costs, as they operate various different arrangements, some where they pay a landowner a huge amount akin to a 'fishing licence' to catch motorists and some where they have pay and display, and others which are free car parks. I suggest there was never any advance meeting held with the client, nor was any due regard paid to establishing any 'genuine pre-estimate of loss' prior to setting the parking charges at this site. I put this operator to strict proof to the contrary and to explain how the calculation happens to be the same whether the alleged overstay is 20 minutes or 20 hours.

The Operator alleges 'breach of terms/failure to comply' and as such, the landowner/occupier (not their agent) can only pursue liquidated damages directly flowing from the parking event. This must amount in its entirety, only to a genuine pre-estimate of loss, not some subsequently penned 'commercial justification' statement they have devised afterwards, since this would not be a pre-estimate. Any later 'new' calculation (even if dressed up to look like a loss statement) would fall foul of Mr Greenslade's explanation abut GPEOL in the POPLA 2014 Report and would also falls foul of the DFT Guidance about private parking charges.

In this case, even if the Operator contends there was a small outstanding P&D sum (which they have missed off the Notice to Keeper, so I have no idea) they certainly cannot claim an inflated amount. A GPEOL calculation must be a sum which might reasonably flow directly as a result of a parking event.

An Operator cannot include 'staff time spent on appeals' and other tax deductible business costs such as administration, accounting & equipment. Appeals staff are already paid to do their admin job which includes handling appeals among other tasks, so there is no question that there is any 'loss' caused by these staff who are not 'significantly diverted' from their normal activity when they deal with challenges or POPLA stage.

Judge Charles Harris QC in 'A Retailer v Ms B' (where the Claimant tried to claim a 'loss' from a consumer for 'staff and/or management time investigating') stated:
    "[14] The claimant in the instant case has not established either that the staff in question were significantly diverted from their usual activities or that there was any significant disruption to its business... Nor was there any loss of revenue generation. [15] The two security people, far from being diverted from their usual activities, were in fact actively engaged in them. They were doing just what the claimants paid for them to do... [16] So the claim in respect of staff time cannot, in my judgment, be established. I was not clear if, at the end of the case, the other two alleged heads of loss – administrative costs and security equipment costs – were still being sought. But, if so, these claims too cannot succeed. Neither can be shown to be attributable to the defendants’ activities. The amounts spent by the claimant would have been identical had the defendants stayed at home... [17] It follows that the claims must be dismissed’’

http://www.farrarsbuilding.co.uk/cms/uploads/A-Retailer-v-B-K_001.pdf

In the case of private parking charges in general - including this Operator - the administrative staff and Managers who handle challenges and POPLA appeals are not 'significantly diverted from their usual activities', nor do appeals cause any 'significant disruption to its business', nor was there any significant loss of revenue generation. So none of the 'staff time' can be properly included in a GPEOL calculation. If POPLA do accept a small amount of staff time in a GPEOL sum then this could only be 1% of the typical time taken for POPLA appeals, because only 1% of cases follow the POPLA route. No higher figure can have been in the reasonable contemplation of the Operator at the time of the parking event because the chances of POPLA are even less than 'debt collector stage' both being far too remote to be likely.

This charge cannot be 'commercially justified' either, so this Operator would be wasting their time to adduce the flawed and not persuasive 'ParkingEye v Beavis' small claims decision (now being taken to the Court of Appeal by Mr Beavis anyway, The charge is unconscionable and extravagant and unrelated to local Penalty Charge levels in this area. It is believed that the Supreme Court’s decision in ParkingEye v Beavis will have an impact on the outcome of this POPLA appeal. If the operator does not cancel this charge and/or if there is no other ground upon which the appeal can be determined, I ask that my appeal is adjourned pending the Beavis case.

POPLA Assessor Chris Adamson has stated in June 2014 that:

''the aim of damages is to be compensatory, beginning with the idea that the aim is to put the parties in the position they would have been in had the contract been performed. It also seems that courts have been unwilling to allow clauses designed to deter breach as this undermines the binding nature of the initial promise made. Whilst the courts have reasonably moved away from a strict interpretation of what constitutes a genuine pre-estimate of loss, recognising that in complex commercial situations an accurate pre-estimate will not always be possible, nevertheless it remains that a charge for damages must be compensatory in nature rather than punitive.''

2) The Notice to Keeper is not compliant with the POFA 2012 - no keeper liability
    As this was a Pay/Display car park, the Notice to Keeper (NTK) has to set out the position clearly in terms of 'describing the parking charges due' which remained unpaid as at the day before the date of issue of the PCN. Due to this timeline stated in Schedule 4, these 'parking charges due' can only be a tariff the driver should have paid, because no higher sum was 'due' before the PCN was even printed!

I can see from the limited information before me in the NTK, only that the car stayed for a certain amount of time and that the contravention was 'either/or' an overstay or failure to pay. This does not create any certainty of terms, it leaves a keeper to wonder what the hourly rate tariff even was and whether the driver paid nothing, or paid too little, or paid only for half an hour or an hour, or paid in full but put in the wrong car registration, or some other event. This Operator has the technology to record car registrations, to collect/record payments and to take photos of cars arriving and leaving, so it would be reasonable to assume that they are able - and indeed are required under the POFA - to state on the NTK the basic requirements to show a keeper how the 'parking charges' arose and the amount of outstanding parking charges (tariff) as at the day before the PCN was issued.

These are the omissions:
    ''9(2)The notice must—
    (b)inform the keeper that the driver is required to pay parking charges in respect of the specified period of parking and that the parking charges have not been paid in full;
    (c)describe the parking charges due from the driver as at the end of that period, the circumstances in which the requirement to pay them arose (including the means by which the requirement was brought to the attention of drivers) and the other facts that made them payable;
    (d)specify the total amount of those parking charges that are unpaid...'
    NTK is not compliant, for example re this requirement:

The NTK specifically fails on all counts.

It even misdescribes the circumstances, stating that the 'free stay' allowed is 0 hours and 0 minutes and that the contravention is for 'staying longer than authorised' or 'without authorisation'. Well it's a P&D car park, not a permit one, so there is no possibility of 'authorisation'. Therefore the NTK is non-compliant.
    The validity of a NTK is fundamental to establishing liability for a parking charge. As POPLA Assessor Matthew Shaw stated: ''Where a Notice is to be relied upon to establish liability...it must, as with any statutory provision, comply with the Act.'' This NTK was not compliant due to the omissions of statutory wording, so it was not properly given and there is no keeper liability.

3) No standing or authority to pursue charges nor form contracts with drivers
    I believe that this Operator has no proprietary interest in the land, so they have no standing to make contracts with drivers in their own right, nor to pursue charges for breach in their own name. In the absence of such title, ParkingEye must have assignment of rights from the landowner to pursue charges for breach in their own right, including at court level. A commercial site agent for the true landholder has no automatic standing nor authority in their own right which would meet the strict requirements of section 7 of the BPA Code of Practice. I therefore put ParkingEye to strict proof to provide POPLA and myself with an unredacted, contemporaneous copy of the contract between ParkingEye and the landowner, not just another agent or retailer or other non-landholder, because it will still not be clear that the landowner has authorised the necessary rights to ParkingEye.

4) The signage was ambiguous and unclear
    The sign was ambiguous and unclear because the entire sign is about 'PARKING TARIFFS' (not 'total stay') and the sign creates no obligations except to:

- 'enter your full VRN correctl'y (it says 'you must')
    - 'park within bays'
    - 'Blue Badge holders - tariffs apply'

The only place the word 'stay' is mentioned on the sign is where it talks about maximum stay of 14 hours, the rest is all about 'parking time'. So as the P&D machine is the 'point of sale' and the P&D ticket is the receipt upon which an ordinary consumer would rely for the parking time, there was no contravention of the sign.

It is wholly deceptive and unfair on drivers to impose a different time limit from cameras, than the time limit set on the Pay and Display ticket. Deceptive information which causes a consumer to take a different decision than they would have done, which then causes them detriment, is unlawful under the 'misleading actions' section (7.3) of the CPUTRs.

In addition, having two timings running makes you conclude that P&D machines are incompatible with ANPR camera systems and the entire scenario is obviously unfair under the UTCCRs
    5) The ANPR system is unreliable and neither synchronised nor accurate, and there is no evidence that this was just one visit
    ParkingEye's evidence shows no parking time, merely photos of a car driving in and out which does not discount the possibility of a double visit that evening. It is unreasonable for this operator to record the start of 'parking time' as the moment of arrival in moving traffic if they in fact offer a pay and display system which the driver can only access after parking and which is when the clock in fact starts. The exit photo is not evidence of 'parking time' at all and has not been shown to be synchronised to the pay and display machine clock nor even to relate to the same parking event.

Altrincham, 3JD08399 PE v Ms X. Fistral Beach. Has shown that driving around looking for a space or getting children out of car seats, de sanding etc is not classed as parking and therefore there was no contravention of the terms and conditions.
    This concludes my POPLA appeal.

Yours faithfully,

xxxxxxxxxx {registered keeper's name...}
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    That must be based on an older appeal if GPEoL is the first point ... for quite a while now we've recommended it be put as the last point (and include the wording in Blue from the POPLA post in the NEWBIES thread). Also the fact you mention the CoA re Beavis when it's now awaiting the Supreme Court ruling backs up this feeling.
  • Ivor_Pecheque
    Options
    Some support in this new group...... regulars, feel free to join https://www.facebook.com/groups/newquayprivateparkingproblems/888292104593953/?notif_t=like
    Illegitimi non carborundum:)
  • PTJBS05
    Options
    Ok I have swapped around the GPEOL and taken out the old paragraph of the Beavis case and replaced it with the Blue off the Newbies thread.

Am I getting somewhere close ? the more I read it the more I sort of understand bits and pieces, but I still feel like its wholly copied and just jumbled up.

Don't know if that will hinder my appeal.

If POPLA reject do I still get the opportunity to just pay the fine at that point ? I don't think I could go further its affecting me already :-( No good at this sort of thing.
  • PTJBS05
    Options
    Re: ParkingEye PCN, reference code
    POPLA Code:

I am the registered keeper and I wish to appeal a recent parking charge from ParkingEye. I submit the points below to show that I am not liable for the parking charge:

1) The signage was ambiguous and unclear
    2) The Notice to Keeper is not compliant with the POFA 2012 - no keeper liability.
    3) No standing or authority to pursue charges nor form contracts with drivers.
    4) The ANPR system is unreliable and neither synchronised nor accurate - evidence does not discount two visits shown as one.
    5) No genuine pre-estimate of loss

1) The signage was ambiguous and unclear
    The sign was ambiguous and unclear because the entire sign is about 'PARKING TARIFFS' (not 'total stay') and the sign creates no obligations except to:

- 'enter your full VRN correctl'y (it says 'you must')
    - 'park within bays'
    - 'Blue Badge holders - tariffs apply'

The only place the word 'stay' is mentioned on the sign is where it talks about maximum stay of 14 hours, the rest is all about 'parking time'. So as the P&D machine is the 'point of sale' and the P&D ticket is the receipt upon which an ordinary consumer would rely for the parking time, there was no contravention of the sign.

It is wholly deceptive and unfair on drivers to impose a different time limit from cameras, than the time limit set on the Pay and Display ticket. Deceptive information which causes a consumer to take a different decision than they would have done, which then causes them detriment, is unlawful under the 'misleading actions' section (7.3) of the CPUTRs.

In addition, having two timings running makes you conclude that P&D machines are incompatible with ANPR camera systems and the entire scenario is obviously unfair under the UTCCRs

2) The Notice to Keeper is not compliant with the POFA 2012 - no keeper liability
    As this was a Pay/Display car park, the Notice to Keeper (NTK) has to set out the position clearly in terms of 'describing the parking charges due' which remained unpaid as at the day before the date of issue of the PCN. Due to this timeline stated in Schedule 4, these 'parking charges due' can only be a tariff the driver should have paid, because no higher sum was 'due' before the PCN was even printed!

I can see from the limited information before me in the NTK, only that the car stayed for a certain amount of time and that the contravention was 'either/or' an overstay or failure to pay. This does not create any certainty of terms, it leaves a keeper to wonder what the hourly rate tariff even was and whether the driver paid nothing, or paid too little, or paid only for half an hour or an hour, or paid in full but put in the wrong car registration, or some other event. This Operator has the technology to record car registrations, to collect/record payments and to take photos of cars arriving and leaving, so it would be reasonable to assume that they are able - and indeed are required under the POFA - to state on the NTK the basic requirements to show a keeper how the 'parking charges' arose and the amount of outstanding parking charges (tariff) as at the day before the PCN was issued.

These are the omissions:
    ''9(2)The notice must—
    (b)inform the keeper that the driver is required to pay parking charges in respect of the specified period of parking and that the parking charges have not been paid in full;
    (c)describe the parking charges due from the driver as at the end of that period, the circumstances in which the requirement to pay them arose (including the means by which the requirement was brought to the attention of drivers) and the other facts that made them payable;
    (d)specify the total amount of those parking charges that are unpaid...'
    NTK is not compliant, for example re this requirement:

The NTK specifically fails on all counts.

It even misdescribes the circumstances, stating that the 'free stay' allowed is 0 hours and 0 minutes and that the contravention is for 'staying longer than authorised' or 'without authorisation'. Well it's a P&D car park, not a permit one, so there is no possibility of 'authorisation'. Therefore the NTK is non-compliant.
    The validity of a NTK is fundamental to establishing liability for a parking charge. As POPLA Assessor Matthew Shaw stated: ''Where a Notice is to be relied upon to establish liability...it must, as with any statutory provision, comply with the Act.'' This NTK was not compliant due to the omissions of statutory wording, so it was not properly given and there is no keeper liability.

3) No standing or authority to pursue charges nor form contracts with drivers
    I believe that this Operator has no proprietary interest in the land, so they have no standing to make contracts with drivers in their own right, nor to pursue charges for breach in their own name. In the absence of such title, ParkingEye must have assignment of rights from the landowner to pursue charges for breach in their own right, including at court level. A commercial site agent for the true landholder has no automatic standing nor authority in their own right which would meet the strict requirements of section 7 of the BPA Code of Practice. I therefore put ParkingEye to strict proof to provide POPLA and myself with an unredacted, contemporaneous copy of the contract between ParkingEye and the landowner, not just another agent or retailer or other non-landholder, because it will still not be clear that the landowner has authorised the necessary rights to ParkingEye.

4) The ANPR system is unreliable and neither synchronised nor accurate, and there is no evidence that this was just one visit
    ParkingEye's evidence shows no parking time, merely photos of a car driving in and out which does not discount the possibility of a double visit that evening. It is unreasonable for this operator to record the start of 'parking time' as the moment of arrival in moving traffic if they in fact offer a pay and display system which the driver can only access after parking and which is when the clock in fact starts. The exit photo is not evidence of 'parking time' at all and has not been shown to be synchronised to the pay and display machine clock nor even to relate to the same parking event.

Altrincham, 3JD08399 PE v Ms X. Fistral Beach. Has shown that driving around looking for a space or getting children out of car seats, de sanding etc is not classed as parking and therefore there was no contravention of the terms and conditions.

5) No genuine pre-estimate of loss
    This car park is Pay and Display and as far as I can ascertain as keeper, a payment was made. Having received the Notice in the post I had very little information (see point #2) so went and checked the signage and it seems that up to 2 hours would have cost £3.50 so the only recoverable sum under the POFA 2012 is the sum of the alleged 'outstanding' parking charge = £3.50 at the most. Parking Eye have not told me these details, despite it being a prerequisite of Schedule 4.

The Operator cannot reasonably claim a broad percentage of their entire business running costs, as they operate various different arrangements, some where they pay a landowner a huge amount akin to a 'fishing licence' to catch motorists and some where they have pay and display, and others which are free car parks. I suggest there was never any advance meeting held with the client, nor was any due regard paid to establishing any 'genuine pre-estimate of loss' prior to setting the parking charges at this site. I put this operator to strict proof to the contrary and to explain how the calculation happens to be the same whether the alleged overstay is 20 minutes or 20 hours.

The Operator alleges 'breach of terms/failure to comply' and as such, the landowner/occupier (not their agent) can only pursue liquidated damages directly flowing from the parking event. This must amount in its entirety, only to a genuine pre-estimate of loss, not some subsequently penned 'commercial justification' statement they have devised afterwards, since this would not be a pre-estimate. Any later 'new' calculation (even if dressed up to look like a loss statement) would fall foul of Mr Greenslade's explanation abut GPEOL in the POPLA 2014 Report and would also falls foul of the DFT Guidance about private parking charges.

In this case, even if the Operator contends there was a small outstanding P&D sum (which they have missed off the Notice to Keeper, so I have no idea) they certainly cannot claim an inflated amount. A GPEOL calculation must be a sum which might reasonably flow directly as a result of a parking event.

An Operator cannot include 'staff time spent on appeals' and other tax deductible business costs such as administration, accounting & equipment. Appeals staff are already paid to do their admin job which includes handling appeals among other tasks, so there is no question that there is any 'loss' caused by these staff who are not 'significantly diverted' from their normal activity when they deal with challenges or POPLA stage.

Judge Charles Harris QC in 'A Retailer v Ms B' (where the Claimant tried to claim a 'loss' from a consumer for 'staff and/or management time investigating') stated:
    "[14] The claimant in the instant case has not established either that the staff in question were significantly diverted from their usual activities or that there was any significant disruption to its business... Nor was there any loss of revenue generation. [15] The two security people, far from being diverted from their usual activities, were in fact actively engaged in them. They were doing just what the claimants paid for them to do... [16] So the claim in respect of staff time cannot, in my judgment, be established. I was not clear if, at the end of the case, the other two alleged heads of loss – administrative costs and security equipment costs – were still being sought. But, if so, these claims too cannot succeed. Neither can be shown to be attributable to the defendants’ activities. The amounts spent by the claimant would have been identical had the defendants stayed at home... [17] It follows that the claims must be dismissed’’

http://www.farrarsbuilding.co.uk/cms/uploads/A-Retailer-v-B-K_001.pdf

In the case of private parking charges in general - including this Operator - the administrative staff and Managers who handle challenges and POPLA appeals are not 'significantly diverted from their usual activities', nor do appeals cause any 'significant disruption to its business', nor was there any significant loss of revenue generation. So none of the 'staff time' can be properly included in a GPEOL calculation. If POPLA do accept a small amount of staff time in a GPEOL sum then this could only be 1% of the typical time taken for POPLA appeals, because only 1% of cases follow the POPLA route. No higher figure can have been in the reasonable contemplation of the Operator at the time of the parking event because the chances of POPLA are even less than 'debt collector stage' both being far too remote to be likely.

The charge is unconscionable and extravagant and unrelated to local Penalty Charge levels in this area. It is believed that the Supreme Court’s decision in ParkingEye v Beavis will have an impact on the outcome of this POPLA appeal. If the operator does not cancel this charge and/or if there is no other ground upon which the appeal can be determined, I ask that my appeal is adjourned pending the Beavis case.

POPLA Assessor Chris Adamson has stated in June 2014 that:

''the aim of damages is to be compensatory, beginning with the idea that the aim is to put the parties in the position they would have been in had the contract been performed. It also seems that courts have been unwilling to allow clauses designed to deter breach as this undermines the binding nature of the initial promise made. Whilst the courts have reasonably moved away from a strict interpretation of what constitutes a genuine pre-estimate of loss, recognising that in complex commercial situations an accurate pre-estimate will not always be possible, nevertheless it remains that a charge for damages must be compensatory in nature rather than punitive.''

This concludes my POPLA appeal.

Yours faithfully,

xxxxxxxxxx {registered keeper's name...}
  • PTJBS05
    Options
    Does anyone think this is ok and not too jumbled up. Getting close to my deadline and I wondered if I had done enough to not look a wally !
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 17 October 2015 at 12:54AM
    Options
    OK I will take a look when I've made a cuppa. I have a bit of time tonight. I help posters when I can and you have made a very good effort there - you are not looking a wally at all. As I mentioned before, I've recently written two POPLA appeals for Tower Road so can make some suggestions for yours I'm sure.
    after reading the POFA paragraph 9 I can see that the PARKING CHARGE NOTICE that I have seems to comply with every single point.

Oh no they don't! For example, think to yourself, why was this information not in the Notice to Keeper?:
    Parking eye are admitting we had a ticket now by saying their investigations show insufficient time was paid for.
    That's a material fact about the circumstances which gave rise to the fake fine and yet they didn't specify that on the Notice...
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You said
    'This notice has been received on the 13th day of the event.'

Did you actually mean it was received then - or are you saying the 'issued date' was the 13th day? What dates are relevant please? It's OK to say here.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure