MSE News: TalkTalk customers to be hit with price hikes from October, but you can bea

Options

Comments

• joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Options
    Wilt wrote: »
    It will be from your bill in October - the 16th October will be the first bill in which you will pay the increased line rental...so 30 days before that.
    Hi Wilt, this gets more confusing;;
    I paid upfront last" October", early, £172 for a 12 month line rental from December 14> December 15.my usual billing year.
    It is going up again in October,But it also went up during the year sometime,?,to what it is now, £180+ which I wasn't charged for.and which I can fix at,if I renew again,early, before the October rise again.?
    I know they are allowed to increase the line rental at will, so how is mine still due December, unless I renew before October ?
    That doesn't take into account any price plan increase.
    It seems that I get to renew earlier every year, yet my billing year is still December > december.
    The mind boggles.:beer:
  • joe134
    Options
    Futuristic wrote: »
    They will tell you you need to pay cancellation fee but just tell them you are entitled to leave due to price increase.

Go for sky.

£16.40 /mo for 17mb unmetered broadband, £100 voucher and £63 topcashback so like £33 for the year
    what about phone calls, my OH lives on it, and I can get it half price , from my Grandson,always refused it. BUT, it will jump up next year, so back to square one.
  • joe134
    edited 7 September 2015 at 8:15AM
    Options
    Dragonfly1 wrote: »
    Everybody is over-thinking this.

You can cancel immediately - just tell them you have been informed of a price increase and you know you are entitled to cancel the contract penalty-free.
    Just repeat that over and over again until they get the message. They will. I've done it with both family TalkTalk contracts. You do not need to wait for an email.

If they really persist, just say you saw the email. They can't prove it either way. You certainly CAN leave the contract by giving 30 days notice NOW. They just want to hit sales targets so try to stop you. They will then proceed to tell you there will be a penalty for early cancellation. You then have to repeat yourself: They are in breach of contract and you are entitled to leave penalty free. It's hard work but it's just them trying to meet targets to persuade you to stay.

The price increase was actually from the 27th August - Not October.
    If it was August, why have I not had an increase in my bill?
    We don't all want to cancel, I don't ,if I can renegotiate to stay as close as I am to what I'm paying.
    Nowhere is going to give me BB and Phones unlimited anytime for £2 per month,+ line rental, as I ve paid , and still am, for years,it's Never changed, but no doubt will now.
    As I was /am on old AOL platinum. @ £2.10 per month( £5 loyalty reduction), and they insist I pay the new hike to £10+ per month, my bill will be £7+ per month more , and £10 per year line rental increase.
    It says it's going up again in December??
    I think that phone call is warranted today, see what they say, if I can get through: on 0870 444 1820, without paying 3ppm.AOL charges? :-)
  • joe134
    edited 7 September 2015 at 9:41AM
    Options
    joe134 wrote: »
    If it was August, why have I not had an increase in my bill?
    We don't all want to cancel, I don't ,if I can renegotiate to stay as close as I am to what I'm paying.
    Nowhere is going to give me BB and Phones unlimited anytime for £2 per month,+ line rental, as I ve paid , and still am, for years,it's Never changed, but no doubt will now.
    As I was /am on old AOL platinum. @ £2.10 per month( £5 loyalty reduction), and they insist I pay the new hike to £10+ per month, my bill will be £7+ per month more , and £10 per year line rental increase.
    It says it's going up again in December??
    I think that phone call is warranted today, see what they say, if I can get through: on 0870 444 1820, without paying 3ppm.AOL charges? :-)
    UPDATE;
    Just had a long online chat, very helpful, couldn't ask for better.
    1;;I cannot renew my line rental, as my upfront from last year doesn't end until 15th December, do it in November, but at the new£191 rate. 60 days proir only;;;
    2;Unbeknown to me i'm out of contract, by 12 months, offered to renew it, I said I would stay as I am as ,I can cancel anytime, but all my prices stay the same.No doubt the sales team would have tried to flog me stuff.
    See if they do, increase my plan.?.
    only time will tell.
  • Dragonfly1
    Options
    As well as the 0870 number, there is another number listed (certainly for cancellations) that begins 023 if you prefer that.

If you have simply broadband free, it's very hard to negotiate any further discount but your bill is increasing by 10% due to loss of speedy payment in the next few months.

I was offered £2 month after 30 minutes to compensate for line rental increase. Offered nothing at all on the phone, just processed the cancellation eventually.

Their own website says the price increase has already happened.Pricing Notifications

Changes to services and pricing

Broadband and Line rental changes - from 27th Aug
    Package New Price
    SimplyBroadband £7.50
    Line Rental £17.70
    Talk Eve&Wknd with Broadband £10
    Value Line rental £191.16 (from 30th Sep 2015)

Only the line rental has not gone up yet, but it will within 30 days regardless.
  • RenTheRoosta
    RenTheRoosta Posts: 159 Forumite
    edited 7 September 2015 at 10:10AM
    Options
    After being told on Twitter that I could leave penalty free as they could see I had 'been informed of the price hike' - I went ahead and switched to someone else. Got an email from Talk Talk this morning saying they are going to charge me £374.87 cancellation fee as I am 'in breach of contract'. I've updated the Twitter conversation with this information and am waiting to hear back from them. Added to all the problems I've had with the broadband being slow& dropping out (even on wired connection) and working sluggishly on mobile devices - this is the final nail in the coffin for me for Talk Talk - I would never use them again.
  • RenTheRoosta
    Options
    Dragonfly1 wrote: »
    Everybody is over-thinking this.

You can cancel immediately - just tell them you have been informed of a price increase and you know you are entitled to cancel the contract penalty-free.
    Just repeat that over and over again until they get the message. They will. I've done it with both family TalkTalk contracts. You do not need to wait for an email.

If they really persist, just say you saw the email. They can't prove it either way. You certainly CAN leave the contract by giving 30 days notice NOW. They just want to hit sales targets so try to stop you. They will then proceed to tell you there will be a penalty for early cancellation. You then have to repeat yourself: They are in breach of contract and you are entitled to leave penalty free. It's hard work but it's just them trying to meet targets to persuade you to stay.

The price increase was actually from the 27th August - Not October.

Any advice for what to do in my situation? They told me on Twitter convo (public not DM) that I could leave penalty free as they could see I'd been informed of the price hike: but sent me an email this am saying theyre charging me £374.87 cancellation fee as I am 'in breach of contract'
  • Ricky43
    Options
    joe134 wrote: »
    Hi Wilt, this gets more confusing;;
    I paid upfront last" October", early, £172 for a 12 month line rental from December 14> December 15.my usual billing year.
    It is going up again in October,But it also went up during the year sometime,?,to what it is now, £180+ which I wasn't charged for.and which I can fix at,if I renew again,early, before the October rise again.?
    I know they are allowed to increase the line rental at will, so how is mine still due December, unless I renew before October ?
    That doesn't take into account any price plan increase.
    It seems that I get to renew earlier every year, yet my billing year is still December > december.
    The mind boggles.:beer:

It appears you can pay up to 60 days before the bill is due. I have just renewed because mine is due in October BUT the rates go up AGAIN to £191 I think it is, on 30th September. I paid by debit card and of course they take the money straight away so suggest you pay by credit card!!!
  • Dragonfly1
    Dragonfly1 Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 September 2015 at 10:41AM
    Options
    After being told on Twitter that I could leave penalty free as they could see I had 'been informed of the price hike' - I went ahead and switched to someone else. Got an email from Talk Talk this morning saying they are going to charge me £374.87 cancellation fee as I am 'in breach of contract'. I've updated the Twitter conversation with this information and am waiting to hear back from them. Added to all the problems I've had with the broadband being slow& dropping out (even on wired connection) and working sluggishly on mobile devices - this is the final nail in the coffin for me for Talk Talk - I would never use them again.

You can contact their live chat team via their website.

What you should have done is told TalkTalk that you intend to leave penalty-free - before actually applying to switch somewhere else. Basically they can put a marker on your account (or to that effect) to say you can leave anytime penalty-free..... But you can't just swap without talking to them first (Twitter doesn't really work as they need to log it onto your actual TalkTalk account).

What they should do is just have an automatic system without needing to talk to them, but that would stop their cancellations people trying to persuade you to stay.

Basically, you'll spend longer on live chat and get it sorted - or you can do it quicker over the phone. But you can get the live chat emailed to you at the end of the chat, so I would go for that option for the written proof. The live chat people will probably need to speak to their manager as it involves going off-script and they don't like doing that :p

You should be fine, you just need to explain they didn't make that at all clear on Twitter.
  • joe134
    edited 7 September 2015 at 12:28PM
    Options
    Ricky43 wrote: »
    It appears you can pay up to 60 days before the bill is due. I have just renewed because mine is due in October BUT the rates go up AGAIN to £191 I think it is, on 30th September. I paid by debit card and of course they take the money straight away so suggest you pay by credit card!!!
    Hi, Yes , I'm too soon for renewal, 60 days, so will have tp pay the increase , £191 when I do renew, probably November.You will have fixed at £180 then, if you have just renewed.I know they always take it instantly, with DC, I pay by CC.
    As I'm out of contract,( which I didn't know until my chat) now, they may increase my package from £2.10>£10.40, as I'm on old AOL platinum with discounts. plan ?
    I wish I'd never mentioned it to her on chatline about plan/contract..:mad:
    She's bound to contact sales ,now, and they will up it, forcing me to renew contract and haggle, and try to flog me more.
    Been with them years now, so used to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure