MSE News: TalkTalk customers to be hit with price hikes from October, but you can bea

Options

Comments

• bell123321
    bell123321 Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    I am still awaiting the email. Have spoken to talk talk who said I will be effected but I can't cancel until I get the email.
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes i called TT about a different matter yesterday. Although the company announced these increases two days ago, i dont know anyone who has actually received an email from them, informing them of the next wave of increase for the 1st October. maybe they are waiting until September???
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • Dragonfly1
    Dragonfly1 Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    bell123321 wrote: »
    I am still awaiting the email. Have spoken to talk talk who said I will be effected but I can't cancel until I get the email.

Don't let them fob you off.
    I have cancelled 2 TalkTalk broadband packages. Both times they have said the price change does not affect me because I have paid line rental in advance & I have free simply broadband. But it does affect me because when I have to pay line rental again(during this contract), it will now cost me more.

They have cancelled both accounts today - 1 via live chat (he was very bossy that he couldn't do it until I pointed out that I do know my rights) whilst the telephone guy was at least slightly better but I still had to be firm.

Just say "I've received the letter". The live chat person confirmed they are on the way. I haven't actually received anything yet but read about the price increases on the TalkTalk website instead.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Last time I negotiated a credit to my account so that TalkTalk = the £12 a month SSE deal [*MSE affiliate link]

I suppose I'll have to phone them up and spend another hour getting some more credit added to the account now they're charging more.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • NSG666
    NSG666 Posts: 981 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's about time mid term changes to the contracts were outlawed. I'm on a half price broadband deal and was paying £1.75/ month until June when it went up to £2.50/month and now it's going up to £3.75/month. That's a 114% price increase in less than 6 months!

That said the amount I'll end up paying for the full year is still cheap and there are deals to be done with TalkTalk. At the end of my last contract I checked the deals available in my area and got on to TalkTalk disconnections. I ended up staying with them and paying £81 up front for 12 months line rental and half price simply broadband which will work out at £28 over the year - absolute bargain!
    Sorry I can't think of anything profound, clever or witty to write here.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,614 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Now they do mobile and seeking to improve TV, these changes have to be funded somehow.

They are the cheapest but not best value anymore IMO.

When one increases line rental they all follow, I expect that, but yet another steep rise in the Simply BB is a lot to stomach.
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    Options
    TT do honour existing discounts when their prices got up. Last November I paid in advance for Line Rental which was effective from 15 January because you can pay up to 3 months before the VLR renewal date, so anyone who wants to renew a VLR at today's prices can do so. even if the renewal date is up to 3 months away. In January I negotiated 12 months free "call plan". My call plan is Simply BB, so my bills showed a £3.50 charge and a £3.50 credit, then a £5 charge with a £5 credit, and will show a £7.50 charge and a £7.50 credit. I won't be availing myself of the penalty free opportunity to switch supplier.
    For those who want to, your 30 days window starts when you get your individual e-mail notification of the effect on your bills. Yo should inform TT of your intentions, but not cancel. Your new supplier will contact TT to cancel your contract as part of the switchover.
  • fossman
    fossman Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just contacted TT and have been told my free internet will continue until the end of April 2016, the discount on my bills will increase from £5 a month to £7.50 a month from October.
    Cashback earned
    Quidco : £858 :)
    Pigsback : £20 and a Beatles CD.
  • kiwi07
    kiwi07 Posts: 1,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have renewed my Simply broadband with them for 1.5 years and negotiated that I pay £2.50 for 12 months and then £5 for remaining of 6 months. Now I received e-mail from TT saying that my Value landline is due for renewal on 24 October. I think they want £180.36 upfront or it will revert to £16.70 a month. I am wondering if it possible to negotiate a cheaper Value landline rental?? I've been with TT for 6 years.
    Do you have to have a landline rental from them if I only want to have Simply Broadband? Dont really use the landline phone so it just a waste of money, really.
    Thanks
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    Options
    Hello kiwi07. You should grab the VLR at £180.36. You do have to have line rental to have the physical connection to your property irrespective of how much or how little you use it. If you don't grab the VLR now, it will go up to £191.16, as has already been announced. If you grab it now you will get a full 12 months at the pre-increase price. This does not lock you into a new minimum contract length.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure