MSE News: TalkTalk customers to be hit with price hikes from October, but you can bea

Options

Comments

• RenTheRoosta
    Options
    I tweeted TalkTalk and they advised me that they could see on my account that I had spoken to them earlier and been advised of the price increase so I could change providers without incurring a charge. I'd suggest anyone waiting for the email tweets them instead as live chat are giving conflicting information saying you have to wait for the email or you will be charged a cancellation fee. Their Twitter staff told me I had up to when the change takes effect in October to switch.
  • bell123321
    Options
    I haven't received the email about the price hike yet. Been chatting with TalkTalk on live chat today and been told you have to have received the email in order to leave without being charged a cancellation fee: apparently it shows on their side of your account when the email has been sent to you and if you leave without it being sent you will incur the charge. They also say your new provider will deal with the switch: you don't do it direct.

Does this sound legit or like they're fibbing?

Been told exact same thing. Live chatted them Friday morning as it had been a week since I was told I had to wait for email. I get promised email will be with me by midnight. Midnight has passed and gone and still no email. Getting frustrated now as I have been told on live chat that my bill will go up so you would think that is enough. But apprantely I have to wait for an email to confirm my bill is going up before I can cancel.
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    edited 5 September 2015 at 8:40AM
    Options
    bell123321 wrote: »
    Been told exact same thing. Live chatted them Friday morning as it had been a week since I was told I had to wait for email. I get promised email will be with me by midnight. Midnight has passed and gone and still no email. Getting frustrated now as I have been told on live chat that my bill will go up so you would think that is enough. But apprantely I have to wait for an email to confirm my bill is going up before I can cancel.
    did you ask them what's going up?
    the line rental is, and plans are, I'm expecting mine to, after years of staying the same,even, after past rises.Did you haggle, or did they say they won't discuss it until your e-mail arrives?
    I've yet to contact them, but, cannot see another provider any cheaper, for the basics..are these e-mails generic, or specific to individual accounts, no one seems to have had one yet.
    I thought they had to give 30 days notice of any price increase.?
    or is their advert notice.?
  • bell123321
    Options
    joe134 wrote: »
    the line rental is, and plans are, I'm expecting mine to, after years of staying the same,even, after past rises.Did you haggle, or did they say they won't discuss it until your e-mail arrives?
    I've yet to contact them, but, cannot see another provider any cheaper, for the basics..are these e-mails generic, or specific to individual accounts, no one seems to have had one yet.

Just spoke to them on the phone, they will not allow me to cancel until I receive the email. The line rental and broadband plan is going up. Was told in next 3 months mine is going from £21 a month to £35 (Ouch), but that's because a promotion is ending as well as the price increase. I have found cheaper with nearly every other provider I literally only want Internet with fibre, don't use my landline but have to get landline in most cases. The guy said we have 20 days to cancel once we receive the email but need to give 30 days warning. Which seems unfair as 30 days from now the price increase would already hit us.
  • joe134
    edited 6 September 2015 at 8:35AM
    Options
    bell123321 wrote: »
    Just spoke to them on the phone, they will not allow me to cancel until I receive the email. The line rental and broadband plan is going up. Was told in next 3 months mine is going from £21 a month to £35 (Ouch), but that's because a promotion is ending as well as the price increase. I have found cheaper with nearly every other provider I literally only want Internet with fibre, don't use my landline but have to get landline in most cases. The guy said we have 20 days to cancel once we receive the email but need to give 30 days warning. Which seems unfair as 30 days from now the price increase would already hit us.
    I 'm going to phone them before my e-mail, I don't want to leave them, been with them a looooong time.AOL,CPW,and now TT.which was just a re=packaged BT plan, but not now.It's only since TT took over, things have gone to pot. AOL were very good, ( to me)
    I've Got a good deal,laways have, Landline upfront, BBand Phone £2, per month unlimited, anytime, and £5 per month, for mobiles, only £7.10 per month+landline, and they have always been ok.
    See what they have to say.Try and haggle.:mad:hate haggling.
    I can get half price sky,my Grandson works for them, but,I don't want/need itI'm .Happy as I am,as long as they don't try and sting me.
    They have some weird rules, but, according to this site, et.al, they are all the same.I got my Son a good deal with Primus a few years ago, he's been happy with them, and it seems moving seems to involve a lot of agro, if this thread is anything to go by.
    .BT for me is a definite No-No.:beer:
    Best of luck.
    Zero inflation my A***.
    obviously this is not in the basket.
  • Wilt
    Wilt Posts: 100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Going by what they did in May, they count the 30 days from when your bill will be rather than from the first day they start charging customers the higher price. ie. if you are billed on the 17th you will be told 30 days before that.
  • joe134
    edited 6 September 2015 at 5:01PM
    Options
    Wilt wrote: »
    Going by what they did in May, they count the 30 days from when your bill will be rather than from the first day they start charging customers the higher price. ie. if you are billed on the 17th you will be told 30 days before that.
    I am billed the 16th, so should have been told now then.?10 days to go.I wasn't told anything in May,except about 084 numbers, and have had no increase at all since I renewed my line last October to £172 (early) until this December.16th,coming, my usual renewal date, for years.
    Also;.
    No increase in my plan for years.
    Maybe I'm just a lucky one, BUT, am now due a shock rise.:eek:
  • Dragonfly1
    Dragonfly1 Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 September 2015 at 5:03PM
    Options
    Everybody is over-thinking this.

You can cancel immediately - just tell them you have been informed of a price increase and you know you are entitled to cancel the contract penalty-free.
    Just repeat that over and over again until they get the message. They will. I've done it with both family TalkTalk contracts. You do not need to wait for an email.

If they really persist, just say you saw the email. They can't prove it either way. You certainly CAN leave the contract by giving 30 days notice NOW. They just want to hit sales targets so try to stop you. They will then proceed to tell you there will be a penalty for early cancellation. You then have to repeat yourself: They are in breach of contract and you are entitled to leave penalty free. It's hard work but it's just them trying to meet targets to persuade you to stay.

The price increase was actually from the 27th August - Not October.
  • Wilt
    Wilt Posts: 100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am billed the 16th, so should have been told now then.?10 days to go.I wasn't told anything in May,except about 084 numbers, and have had no increase at all since I renewed my line last October to £172 (early) until this December.16th,coming, my usual renewal date, for years.
    Also;.
    No increase in my plan for years.
    Maybe I'm just a lucky one, BUT, am now due a shock rise.:eek:

It will be from your bill in October - the 16th October will be the first bill in which you will pay the increased line rental...so 30 days before that.
  • Futuristic
    Futuristic Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    They will tell you you need to pay cancellation fee but just tell them you are entitled to leave due to price increase.

Go for sky.

£16.40 /mo for 17mb unmetered broadband, £100 voucher and £63 topcashback so like £33 for the year
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure