Haggle with Virgin - our new guide

edited 25 August 2015 at 4:06PM in Phones & TV
383 replies 108.1K views
13335373839

Replies

  • Just_Passing_BiJust_Passing_Bi Forumite
    389 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hi folks,This is my package @£78pmTelevision:Maxit TVTiVo Monthly FeeDiscount Broadband:M100 Fibre Broadband Telephone:Talk WeekendsFully Itemised BillingTelephone Line Rental

    TV package is now pointless, mostly repeats, thinking about bbuying a new TV to include freeview, is it worth having having freeview? given the main channels I watch are discovery / CBS channels / news?
    BB is adequate for my needs < can I get a cheaper deal with Plusnet for example?
    Seldom use the phone < not really required
    Is it worth cancelling the whole package, and have stand alone?
    I suffer with MH issues, please be patient, thank you
  • edited 21 January at 5:52PM
    JasperAlexJasperAlex Forumite
    36 Posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 21 January at 5:52PM
    Hi folks,This is my package @£78pmTelevision:Maxit TVTiVo Monthly FeeDiscount Broadband:M100 Fibre Broadband Telephone:Talk WeekendsFully Itemised BillingTelephone Line Rental

    TV package is now pointless, mostly repeats, thinking about bbuying a new TV to include freeview, is it worth having having freeview? given the main channels I watch are discovery / CBS channels / news?
    BB is adequate for my needs < can I get a cheaper deal with Plusnet for example?
    Seldom use the phone < not really required
    Is it worth cancelling the whole package, and have stand alone?
    Definitely worth having stand alone broadband especially as you don't really use the phone/extra TV channels. I was offered £24/month last year on a 12 month deal (18 month discount) on M100 (broadband only) but I've seen other people offered less on this forum more recently. Massive reduction on the £78/m you're paying now for sure.  Make sure you ask to cancel and wait for the call back to get the best deals. Good luck!
  • Brewer20Brewer20 Forumite
    395 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    One thing can I ask......
    Did anyone get told there will be no price rises during your renewed 18 month contract?
    Last August I rang VM to ask for a new deal as my package deal had ended. To my surprise they actually reduced it to what I had written down as acceptable pre conversation. So @£63 per month happy enough. I then asked about forthcoming price rises, in some years we've had two, which can be anything from £3-£5 each. I was told the price you have will not change until the end of the 18 month period, not even if price rises are announced. I didn't believe them so I asked them to repeat what they had said. 
    So yesterday I had a letter, it's going up by £4 per month from February, I wait to see if it does, meanwhile anyone else have comments on this?
  • devon_guydevon_guy Forumite
    267 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Brewer20 said:
    One thing can I ask......
    Did anyone get told there will be no price rises during your renewed 18 month contract?
    Last August I rang VM to ask for a new deal as my package deal had ended. To my surprise they actually reduced it to what I had written down as acceptable pre conversation. So @£63 per month happy enough. I then asked about forthcoming price rises, in some years we've had two, which can be anything from £3-£5 each. I was told the price you have will not change until the end of the 18 month period, not even if price rises are announced. I didn't believe them so I asked them to repeat what they had said. 
    So yesterday I had a letter, it's going up by £4 per month from February, I wait to see if it does, meanwhile anyone else have comments on this?
    I was told exactly the same thing.  My letter arrived this morning telling me that my price would also rise by £4 a month so will be on the phone to them later!  Getting fed up playing this merry go round every year.
  • Brewer20Brewer20 Forumite
    395 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    devon_guy said:
    Brewer20 said:
    One thing can I ask......
    Did anyone get told there will be no price rises during your renewed 18 month contract?
    Last August I rang VM to ask for a new deal as my package deal had ended. To my surprise they actually reduced it to what I had written down as acceptable pre conversation. So @£63 per month happy enough. I then asked about forthcoming price rises, in some years we've had two, which can be anything from £3-£5 each. I was told the price you have will not change until the end of the 18 month period, not even if price rises are announced. I didn't believe them so I asked them to repeat what they had said. 
    So yesterday I had a letter, it's going up by £4 per month from February, I wait to see if it does, meanwhile anyone else have comments on this?
    I was told exactly the same thing.  My letter arrived this morning telling me that my price would also rise by £4 a month so will be on the phone to them later!  Getting fed up playing this merry go round every year.
    You'll have to post your result with them if you don't mind. I'm holding off until next month then I'll act.
    In the meantime I've read another thread, maybe this one where you can get through so far on the phone and you get an option to postpone your price rise for 6 months.
    My thinking is I've got at least another 14 months to run on my current fixed price contract, postponing it for 6 just doesn't cut it 
  • PZ19PZ19 Forumite
    188 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Brewer20 said:
    devon_guy said:
    Brewer20 said:
    One thing can I ask......
    Did anyone get told there will be no price rises during your renewed 18 month contract?
    Last August I rang VM to ask for a new deal as my package deal had ended. To my surprise they actually reduced it to what I had written down as acceptable pre conversation. So @£63 per month happy enough. I then asked about forthcoming price rises, in some years we've had two, which can be anything from £3-£5 each. I was told the price you have will not change until the end of the 18 month period, not even if price rises are announced. I didn't believe them so I asked them to repeat what they had said. 
    So yesterday I had a letter, it's going up by £4 per month from February, I wait to see if it does, meanwhile anyone else have comments on this?
    I was told exactly the same thing.  My letter arrived this morning telling me that my price would also rise by £4 a month so will be on the phone to them later!  Getting fed up playing this merry go round every year.
    You'll have to post your result with them if you don't mind. I'm holding off until next month then I'll act.
    In the meantime I've read another thread, maybe this one where you can get through so far on the phone and you get an option to postpone your price rise for 6 months.
    My thinking is I've got at least another 14 months to run on my current fixed price contract, postponing it for 6 just doesn't cut it 
    Can’t you cancel it totally at price rise time?
  • victor2victor2 Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can cancel without penalty due to the price increase - it says so in their letter.
    I phoned 150 (it was unobtainable during the day, but I did get through in the evening) and took the the "thinking of leaving option". The robot offered me a monthly £3.50 credit to offset the increase for 6 months, so I pressed the option to take that. Never did get a human, but have had a letter confirmimg it. Of course that takes you past the free cancellation period, but my minimum term is up by then, so I can leave for nothing.
    Mind you, the receipt I got stated "Remaining minimum period: 12 Months", so I phoned them in the evening, got a human and confirmed my end date has not changed. She said the receipt statement was wrong, couldn't confirm that by email, but said she has put a note on my file to that effect.
    It's only a few months away, so we shall see...
  • edited 22 January at 9:00PM
    Brewer20Brewer20 Forumite
    395 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 22 January at 9:00PM
    victor2 said:
    You can cancel without penalty due to the price increase - it says so in their letter.
    I phoned 150 (it was unobtainable during the day, but I did get through in the evening) and took the the "thinking of leaving option". The robot offered me a monthly £3.50 credit to offset the increase for 6 months, so I pressed the option to take that. Never did get a human, but have had a letter confirmimg it. Of course that takes you past the free cancellation period, but my minimum term is up by then, so I can leave for nothing.
    Mind you, the receipt I got stated "Remaining minimum period: 12 Months", so I phoned them in the evening, got a human and confirmed my end date has not changed. She said the receipt statement was wrong, couldn't confirm that by email, but said she has put a note on my file to that effect.
    It's only a few months away, so we shall see...
    Yes I realise the cancellation bit, I've got until 25th February to do that. I don't really want to do that, a price fix is a price fix, no rises at all I was told.
    I reckon a phone call to clear this up, I don't want to be haggling the price down again in 6 months after I've deferred the price rise by pressing a few buttons, I've got another 14 months to run.
  • edited 23 January at 9:58AM
    devon_guydevon_guy Forumite
    267 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 23 January at 9:58AM
    I'm currently on hold.....was offered the £4 discount for 6 months but that still means I'll get the rise for the remaining 6 months of my contract not to mention the fact that I was told my price was fixed for 18 months and I would receive no price rises at all during that time.
  • victor2victor2 Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Their standard T&Cs say:
    In addition, we may change or increase our charges under this agreement at any time. We will give you 30 days’ notice of this. If you are unhappy with these changes, in most cases you can cancel this agreement by giving us 30days’ notice without paying an early disconnection fee.
    Unless you have documentation that contradicts that, I don't think you'll have much luck stopping the increase applying.

Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Reclaim payday loans

Get £100s or £1,000s back for being mis-sold

MSE Guides

25% off Dyson eBay outlet

Selected items, via code

MSE Deals